Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by scottfern View Post
    I actually have the same car as you. Quick question - The two usb ports in the console under the climate control are those the only USB ports we can use for AA? Is there not any USB ports in the arm rest storage bin?
    The dual usb port hardware block is replaced with a newer model as part of the upgrade. One of those ports has a phone icon next to it. That is the only port that works with aa/cp.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Iím pretty sure that part is the same for all models and years. Just location might vary?

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Premium Package

Just got back from the dealerhip after getting AA retrofit. Out the door price of $437. No touchscreen functionality anywhere when AA is active on the infotainment screen. This definitely sucks. Once I guess I get used to using the knob, itll be ok...but its weird to have to click 5 buttons to simply zoom in on the map...when I am used to pinching and zooming maps on my phone...its 2018 and we should have touchscreen connectivity...esp on a touchscreen enabled car!
    Last edited by Headup; 11-28-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Registered Member

AA Retrofit Issues!`

Just got back from the dealerhip after getting AA retrofit. Out the door price of $437. No touchscreen functionality anywhere when AA is active on the infotainment screen. This definitely sucks. Further, the call out button doesnt work...I have to manually select a contact and then press the command button...hanging up button does work. Zooming on maps using 5 clicks sucks when I would like to just pinch and zoom...I hate that there is always a catch! Its never perfect...why wouldnt the activate the damn touchscreen!!
    Last edited by Headup; 11-28-2018 at 05:43 PM.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Headup View Post
    Just got back from the dealerhip after getting AA retrofit. Out the door price of $437. No touchscreen functionality anywhere when AA is active on the infotainment screen. This definitely sucks. Further, the call out button doesnt work...I have to manually select a contact and then press the command button...hanging up button does work. Zooming on maps using 5 clicks sucks when I would like to just pinch and zoom...I hate that there is always a catch! Its never perfect...why wouldnt the activate the damn touchscreen!!
    Not sure what Mazda's official stance on this is, but I think touchscreen doesn't work because it can be considered a safety hazard/distraction. Of course, one could also argue that fiddling with the control knobs is just as much of a distraction.

Personally, I find that it's easier to navigate through menus using the control knob vs. "hunting and pecking" at the screen. It's cumbersome at first, but once I got used to where everything is, it felt easier. For example, I can easily switch from FM radio to a bluetooth audio source and back without looking at the screen. With a touchscreen, I feel like I'd always be glancing at the screen to make sure I pressed the right button, even after memorizing where the buttons are.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Headup View Post
    Just got back from the dealerhip after getting AA retrofit. Out the door price of $437. No touchscreen functionality anywhere when AA is active on the infotainment screen. This definitely sucks. Once I guess I get used to using the knob, itll be ok...but its weird to have to click 5 buttons to simply zoom in on the map...when I am used to pinching and zooming maps on my phone...its 2018 and we should have touchscreen connectivity...esp on a touchscreen enabled car!
    Yeah that's why I mentioned the Kenwood head unit. Double the price, but you get wireless AA and a touch screen. For me its probably not worth it because I am not driving a whole lot, but I will watch the prices and see what comes out in the aftermarket head unit space to see if anything compelling gets released.

Which dealer did you end up using? I am also in Chicago.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

You would lose the functionality of the car built into it. Also wonít physically fit into the 2nd gen.

Registered Member

Yeah that's why I mentioned the Kenwood head unit. Double the price, but you get wireless AA and a touch screen. For me its probably not worth it because I am not driving a whole lot, but I will watch the prices and see what comes out in the aftermarket head unit space to see if anything compelling gets released.

I'm sure the unit's price will drop...all electronics come down in price eventually...

Schaumburg Mazda...went on Wednesday noon ...was in and out in 90 mins...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Not sure what Mazda's official stance on this is, but I think touchscreen doesn't work because it can be considered a safety hazard/distraction. Of course, one could also argue that fiddling with the control knobs is just as much of a distraction.

Personally, I find that it's easier to navigate through menus using the control knob vs. "hunting and pecking" at the screen. It's cumbersome at first, but once I got used to where everything is, it felt easier. For example, I can easily switch from FM radio to a bluetooth audio source and back without looking at the screen. With a touchscreen, I feel like I'd always be glancing at the screen to make sure I pressed the right button, even after memorizing where the buttons are.
    Certainly fair points that I dont disagree with...its just that it wouldve been nice to have a touchscreen active when I'm Parked. Also, the lack of a touchscreen leads me to rely more on activating google assistant...which actually keeps me looking at the road even more than using the knob...assistant works well so far! The new 2.1amp USB hardware rocks...charged my phone up in a hurry...I think this was certainly the 400 or so dollars...happy with it the more I use it...

Registered Member

2017 MAZDA CX-5 GT

Got a CarPlay install quote from my local dealer in Culver City for $471 (includes parts, labor, and tax).

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT

Hi Scott,

I think your link above is wrong. Also the head unit would require installation as well so the cost would be $799 plus? Finally it doesn't appear to have satellite radio built in from what I can see. This would be a deal breaker to me.

Thanks,
    Glenn

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Touring

Touchscreen functionality while driving works on Subaru outback. Is it really a liability issue? It really makes it a hassle to be able to search, move the map and zoom in and out efficiently. Sometimes I'll just pull up my damn pbone. That sounds more dangerous. This is 2018 ffs.

Also one issue I've noticed is that I won't get audio playing from Android auto. It's connected but no sound. The cars radio works fine and if I change source to Android auto nothing happens. The only way is for me to turn the car off and on. Unplug and replug does not work.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    Touchscreen functionality while driving works on Subaru outback. Is it really a liability issue? It really makes it a hassle to be able to search, move the map and zoom in and out efficiently. Sometimes I'll just pull up my damn pbone. That sounds more dangerous. This is 2018 ffs.
    I've never found myself in this situation. I see no reason to fiddle with nav or even system settings when the car is in gear. I'll either have my route/navigation planned out and set before I leave, and if I ever have to change anything, I pull over and do it.

This is just personal opinion, but I think that using the infotainment while driving should also be ticketed as a distracted driving offense.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post

Also one issue I've noticed is that I won't get audio playing from Android auto. It's connected but no sound. The cars radio works fine and if I change source to Android auto nothing happens. The only way is for me to turn the car off and on. Unplug and replug does not work.
    Distracted driving is getting to be as bad as drunk driving so yes I think itís potentially a liability. Would you be using your phone otherwise? Probably. Is that worse? Maybe.

By doing something about it itís more defensible in court even if it doesnít help in the real world.

IMHO the distracted driving issue is real and dangerous. However I donít think disabling touch screens while driving will solve it. You need to get people to grow up and pay attention while driving.

Registered Member

CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post

Mazda didn't disable touchscreen due to safety hazard, otherwise they would have disabled it for Apple Car Play as well. The reason its disabled for Android Auto and not Apple Car Play is Mazda engineers couldn't figure out how to disable the touch screen for Android Auto while the car is in motion, so they chose to just leave it disabled all the time so they could get it released. Hopefully they can figure this out in a future firmware update.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast