CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

I just had it installed on a 2018 CX-5 GT. I negotiated the lease so that they did the upgrade at no extra cost. Works much better than a 2017 Chevy I had - doesn't glitch as much. I also really like how you can use the hardware buttons (home, nav, music) while in carplay.

I just had it installed on a 2018 CX-5 GT. I negotiated the lease so that they did the upgrade at no extra cost. Works much better than a 2017 Chevy I had - doesn't glitch as much. I also really like how you can use the hardware buttons (home, nav, music) while in carplay.

What do the hardware buttons direct you to?

So while getting an oil change today my dealer told me they are doing the Android Auto retrofit for my 2016 Mazda CX-5 for $475 plus tax. Couple of questions regarding this news:

1) Is $475 a good price for the usb retrofit + AA installation?
2) Is there a solution / work around for wireless AA?
3) Do the late model (2019) support wireless AA?
4) Has anyone found any aftermarket head units made for the CX-5 that support wireless AA?

So while getting an oil change today my dealer told me they are doing the Android Auto retrofit for my 2016 Mazda CX-5 for $475 plus tax. Couple of questions regarding this news:

2) Is there a solution / work around for wireless AA?
3) Do the late model (2019) support wireless AA?
4) Has anyone found any aftermarket head units made for the CX-5 that support wireless AA?

1. Thats a bit high
2. Not that Ive seen
3. No
4. Good luck with an aftermarket head unit

I got the Android Auto update on my 16 CX-5 Touring and it's nice honestly and I can still operate my phone as normal. My biggest complaint is that the touchscreen doesn't work while using it, even in park. You're forced to use the knob to operate everything even typing in addresses. This is an annoyance to me since I actually like providing warnings for other drivers on the road (using Waze). $411 you figured it would operate like most cars, atleast the ones I've driven

I got the Android Auto update on my 16 CX-5 Touring and it's nice honestly and I can still operate my phone as normal. My biggest complaint is that the touchscreen doesn't work while using it, even in park. You're forced to use the knob to operate everything even typing in addresses. This is an annoyance to me since I actually like providing warnings for other drivers on the road (using Waze). $411 you figured it would operate like most cars, atleast the ones I've driven

I actually have the same car as you. Quick question - The two usb ports in the console under the climate control are those the only USB ports we can use for AA? Is there not any USB ports in the arm rest storage bin?

My Mazda dealer in Libertyville is charging approximately $500 (incl. taxes) for ACP installation. The lowest quote I got was $450 (incl. taxes) from the dealer in Schaumburg.

The parts cost only $200. I believe they charge higher than normal labor rates for this installation ($107 - $135 per hour) because the demand for this retrofit is very high in the Chicago area. Keep in mind that Mazda made this available for the CX-5 less than a week ago. Prices may go down once the initial demand is satisfied.

I realize this isn't a popular opinion but the Kenwood EXCELON XR DDX9905S is a 2018 aftermarket head unit and seems to be responsive, good touch screen IN AA and supports wireless AA. Has anyone considered it?

I keep going back and forth about the factory retrofit ($500) vs aftermarket head unit and the only drawback to the kenwood is the price ($799 after rebate) but you get AA touch screen and wireless AA.

I am not a long daily commuter but I take a lot of short trips and I felt the ability to jump into my CX-5 and have AA start up would be nice without taking it out of my pocket. I can plug-in when I need to charge the phone battery or buy a nice fast charger battery pack. My only fear is that there is some weird bugs that haven't been worked out yet with wireless AA and Kenwood, but all the reviews and YouTube videos say it works very nicely.

I actually have the same car as you. Quick question - The two usb ports in the console under the climate control are those the only USB ports we can use for AA? Is there not any USB ports in the arm rest storage bin?

The dual usb port hardware block is replaced with a newer model as part of the upgrade. One of those ports has a phone icon next to it. That is the only port that works with aa/cp.

Just got back from the dealerhip after getting AA retrofit. Out the door price of $437. No touchscreen functionality anywhere when AA is active on the infotainment screen. This definitely sucks. Once I guess I get used to using the knob, itll be ok...but its weird to have to click 5 buttons to simply zoom in on the map...when I am used to pinching and zooming maps on my phone...its 2018 and we should have touchscreen connectivity...esp on a touchscreen enabled car!

Last edited:
AA Retrofit Issues!`

Just got back from the dealerhip after getting AA retrofit. Out the door price of $437. No touchscreen functionality anywhere when AA is active on the infotainment screen. This definitely sucks. Further, the call out button doesnt work...I have to manually select a contact and then press the command button...hanging up button does work. Zooming on maps using 5 clicks sucks when I would like to just pinch and zoom...I hate that there is always a catch! Its never perfect...why wouldnt the activate the damn touchscreen!!

Last edited:
Just got back from the dealerhip after getting AA retrofit. Out the door price of $437. No touchscreen functionality anywhere when AA is active on the infotainment screen. This definitely sucks. Further, the call out button doesnt work...I have to manually select a contact and then press the command button...hanging up button does work. Zooming on maps using 5 clicks sucks when I would like to just pinch and zoom...I hate that there is always a catch! Its never perfect...why wouldnt the activate the damn touchscreen!!

Not sure what Mazda's official stance on this is, but I think touchscreen doesn't work because it can be considered a safety hazard/distraction. Of course, one could also argue that fiddling with the control knobs is just as much of a distraction.

Personally, I find that it's easier to navigate through menus using the control knob vs. "hunting and pecking" at the screen. It's cumbersome at first, but once I got used to where everything is, it felt easier. For example, I can easily switch from FM radio to a bluetooth audio source and back without looking at the screen. With a touchscreen, I feel like I'd always be glancing at the screen to make sure I pressed the right button, even after memorizing where the buttons are.

Just got back from the dealerhip after getting AA retrofit. Out the door price of $437. No touchscreen functionality anywhere when AA is active on the infotainment screen. This definitely sucks. Once I guess I get used to using the knob, itll be ok...but its weird to have to click 5 buttons to simply zoom in on the map...when I am used to pinching and zooming maps on my phone...its 2018 and we should have touchscreen connectivity...esp on a touchscreen enabled car!

Yeah that's why I mentioned the Kenwood head unit. Double the price, but you get wireless AA and a touch screen. For me its probably not worth it because I am not driving a whole lot, but I will watch the prices and see what comes out in the aftermarket head unit space to see if anything compelling gets released.

Which dealer did you end up using? I am also in Chicago.

You would lose the functionality of the car built into it. Also wont physically fit into the 2nd gen.

Yeah that's why I mentioned the Kenwood head unit. Double the price, but you get wireless AA and a touch screen. For me its probably not worth it because I am not driving a whole lot, but I will watch the prices and see what comes out in the aftermarket head unit space to see if anything compelling gets released.

Which dealer did you end up using? I am also in Chicago.

I'm sure the unit's price will drop...all electronics come down in price eventually...

Schaumburg Mazda...went on Wednesday noon ...was in and out in 90 mins...

Not sure what Mazda's official stance on this is, but I think touchscreen doesn't work because it can be considered a safety hazard/distraction. Of course, one could also argue that fiddling with the control knobs is just as much of a distraction.

Personally, I find that it's easier to navigate through menus using the control knob vs. "hunting and pecking" at the screen. It's cumbersome at first, but once I got used to where everything is, it felt easier. For example, I can easily switch from FM radio to a bluetooth audio source and back without looking at the screen. With a touchscreen, I feel like I'd always be glancing at the screen to make sure I pressed the right button, even after memorizing where the buttons are.

Certainly fair points that I dont disagree with...its just that it wouldve been nice to have a touchscreen active when I'm Parked. Also, the lack of a touchscreen leads me to rely more on activating google assistant...which actually keeps me looking at the road even more than using the knob...assistant works well so far! The new 2.1amp USB hardware rocks...charged my phone up in a hurry...I think this was certainly the 400 or so dollars...happy with it the more I use it...

Back