Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Iím pretty sure that was just on 2018 Mazda 6 as the CX-5 didnít get it as a factory option until 2019. Now some dealers might have offered it on their own beyond what Mazda was doing. I think most here either had the dealer install as an accessory or self installed after buying parts online. I want to say I saw one person who negotiated into the purchase before it was actually available.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 2018 GT

I thought I read from somewhere that the 2018 CX-5s could get a free upgrade. But I just spoke with my dealership, he said it's not standard on the 2019s, that it's just an add-on except for the higher trim levels. If I'm not mistaken, it says on mazda's site that it's standard on the 2019s on all trims, right? He says that's why they have it as an add-on for everyone. And he said it's gonna cost me $349 to have it installed.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

If you pop over to Mazdausa.com you will see on the 2019 it is on Touring and above. Wasnít available on any trim for 2018 on the CX-5. The Mazda 6 which was a late 2018 was the first car they added it to on certain trims. On those early production cars that didnít get it at the factory they had a campaign for free install at the dealer. AFAIK thatís the only case where it was actually free on a car that didnít get it from the factory. $350 isnít bad. $400 is about average and some people are getting quoted $500.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 2018 GT

Yeah I just saw on mazda's site too that it's the cx-5 2019 touring and higher that has it standard. I guess $350 is not bad. I'll have to think about it 1st, though.lol Thanks for the info.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I just had it installed on our 2017. I personally think itís worth it. Another factor is you wonít have to worry about updates for the factory nav if you have that which expire after 3 years.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT w/ PP

I just had it installed on a 2018 CX-5 GT. I negotiated the lease so that they did the upgrade at no extra cost. Works much better than a 2017 Chevy I had - doesn't glitch as much. I also really like how you can use the hardware buttons (home, nav, music) while in carplay.

Registered Member

18 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by saqer View Post
    I just had it installed on a 2018 CX-5 GT. I negotiated the lease so that they did the upgrade at no extra cost. Works much better than a 2017 Chevy I had - doesn't glitch as much. I also really like how you can use the hardware buttons (home, nav, music) while in carplay.
    What do the hardware buttons direct you to?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by fernans954 View Post
    What do the hardware buttons direct you to?
    They do what youíd expect in car play going to music maps or home

2014 Mazda CX-5 GT w/ Tech

It is not a free upgrade, but maybe you can work a deal down from the $350-500 most are paying...

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

So while getting an oil change today my dealer told me they are doing the Android Auto retrofit for my 2016 Mazda CX-5 for $475 plus tax. Couple of questions regarding this news:

1) Is $475 a good price for the usb retrofit + AA installation?
    2) Is there a solution / work around for wireless AA?
    3) Do the late model (2019) support wireless AA?
    4) Has anyone found any aftermarket head units made for the CX-5 that support wireless AA?

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by scottfern View Post
    So while getting an oil change today my dealer told me they are doing the Android Auto retrofit for my 2016 Mazda CX-5 for $475 plus tax. Couple of questions regarding this news:

2) Is there a solution / work around for wireless AA?
    3) Do the late model (2019) support wireless AA?
    4) Has anyone found any aftermarket head units made for the CX-5 that support wireless AA?
    1. Thatís a bit high
    2. Not that Iíve seen
    3. No
    4. Good luck with an aftermarket head unit

Registered Member

Mazda Cx5 Touring

I got the Android Auto update on my 16 CX-5 Touring and it's nice honestly and I can still operate my phone as normal. My biggest complaint is that the touchscreen doesn't work while using it, even in park. You're forced to use the knob to operate everything even typing in addresses. This is an annoyance to me since I actually like providing warnings for other drivers on the road (using Waze). $411 you figured it would operate like most cars, atleast the ones I've driven

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by CX5Baby2016 View Post
    I got the Android Auto update on my 16 CX-5 Touring and it's nice honestly and I can still operate my phone as normal. My biggest complaint is that the touchscreen doesn't work while using it, even in park. You're forced to use the knob to operate everything even typing in addresses. This is an annoyance to me since I actually like providing warnings for other drivers on the road (using Waze). $411 you figured it would operate like most cars, atleast the ones I've driven
    I actually have the same car as you. Quick question - The two usb ports in the console under the climate control are those the only USB ports we can use for AA? Is there not any USB ports in the arm rest storage bin?

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w. Premium Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by scottfern View Post

My Mazda dealer in Libertyville is charging approximately $500 (incl. taxes) for ACP installation. The lowest quote I got was $450 (incl. taxes) from the dealer in Schaumburg.

The parts cost only $200. I believe they charge higher than normal labor rates for this installation ($107 - $135 per hour) because the demand for this retrofit is very high in the Chicago area. Keep in mind that Mazda made this available for the CX-5 less than a week ago. Prices may go down once the initial demand is satisfied.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I realize this isn't a popular opinion but the Kenwood EXCELON XR DDX9905S is a 2018 aftermarket head unit and seems to be responsive, good touch screen IN AA and supports wireless AA. Has anyone considered it?

I keep going back and forth about the factory retrofit ($500) vs aftermarket head unit and the only drawback to the kenwood is the price ($799 after rebate) but you get AA touch screen and wireless AA.

I am not a long daily commuter but I take a lot of short trips and I felt the ability to jump into my CX-5 and have AA start up would be nice without taking it out of my pocket. I can plug-in when I need to charge the phone battery or buy a nice fast charger battery pack. My only fear is that there is some weird bugs that haven't been worked out yet with wireless AA and Kenwood, but all the reviews and YouTube videos say it works very nicely.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast