CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Had CarPlay installed in my 2016 CX-5 last week at Castrucci Mazda in Centerville, Ohio. Quoted $199 + labor via email, which came out to $367.40 (not including tax). They had a 15% off Mazda Accessories coupon on their website, which they accepted without issue. My final cost (including $10 in "shop supplies") was $370.48 including tax. It took them about 2 hours to complete the upgrade. I've had no issues since.

17-18 owners) Android auto and HUD compatibility?

I just came to realize today that AA has finally arrived for cx-5 owners but of course, it comes at free of charge only for new 2019's models (Not quite what we were told back when we bought cars in 2017-18.. huh)

Anyway so I looked into installation guides and videos then found out it isn't just simple plug&play or flashing the current OS but it actually involves new hardware (really mazda?..a new part?) and an unbelievably long process to disassemble cockpits and trims for something that's nothing more than a software tweak. And this got me worried that things might start rattling and not be in perfect buttery fit after reassembly is done from my non-professional hand so I'm inclined to opt for option 2: Let's just get it installed at the dealership

but then this got me into thinking that if it's gonna worth it. After already having wasted $300+ on TPMS for winter tires not too long ago as I just can't stand that dash light staying on forever I do not want to dump another $500ish. on something that may be of very little or no use.

Main reason why I would want AA on my 2017 cx-5 is due to of convenience of google map but the sole reason why I still use mazda nav which is outdated and doesn't reflect any live traffic information over much better Google map on my phone is entirely because of HUD that enables ease viewing of directions especially on highways.

So my question is: Has anyone tried AA with HUD and knows if Google map would also display its directions on HUD just like mazda nav does?

If that won't be case I would be skeptical about spending cash on this new gadget.. Current mazda infotainment system sucks for sure but is actually functionally sufficient for playing music via bluetooth connection.

I would highly appreciate all the inputs, cheers!

I just came to realize today that AA has finally arrived for cx-5 owners but of course, it comes at free of charge only for new 2019's models (Not quite what we were told back when we bought cars in 2017-18.. huh)

Anyway so I looked into installation guides and videos then found out it isn't just simple plug&play or flashing the current OS but it actually involves new hardware (really mazda?..a new part?) and an unbelievably long process to disassemble cockpits and trims for something that's nothing more than a software tweak. And this got me worried that things might start rattling and not be in perfect buttery fit after reassembly is done from my non-professional hand so I'm inclined to opt for option 2: Let's just get it installed at the dealership

but then this got me into thinking that if it's gonna worth it. After already having wasted $300+ on TPMS for winter tires not too long ago as I just can't stand that dash light staying on forever I do not want to dump another $500ish. on something that may be of very little or no use.

Main reason why I would want AA on my 2017 cx-5 is due to of convenience of google map but the sole reason why I still use mazda nav which is outdated and doesn't reflect any live traffic information over much better Google map on my phone is entirely because of HUD that enables ease viewing of directions especially on highways.

So my question is: Has anyone tried AA with HUD and knows if Google map would also display its directions on HUD just like mazda nav does?

If that won't be case I would be skeptical about spending cash on this new gadget.. Current mazda infotainment system sucks for sure but is actually functionally sufficient for playing music via bluetooth connection.

I would highly appreciate all the inputs, cheers!

Other then the software update, it really is plug and play. The hardware is required as new USB hub has distinct ports - one for AA/CP and the other is not; higher amp charging and new cables. This feature (AA/CP) is an option on new models, and like heated mirrors, mazda chose to use hardware and not software to enable the option.

Disassembly and reassembly are actually easy and quick and after doing 1 or 2 could easily be done in under an hour. The software update and wrapping cables with supplied foam tape takes longer then the actually labor to install. But dealers charging 2 hours is a fair price in my opinion.

I use Waze 99% of the time, and not having that in HUD is ok with me. I think HUD map display have to little information and I prefer what i see on the full google maps or waze.

But as mentioned, there is no AA in HUD currently. I have heard that AIO Tweaks has this, but I prefer the stability of the OEM AA over the AIO.

Dog, you can hit just reply instead of quote. We know you're talking to him, not me.

Last edited:
Other then the software update, it really is plug and play. The hardware is required as new USB hub has distinct ports - one for AA/CP and the other is not; higher amp charging and new cables. This feature (AA/CP) is an option on new models, and like heated mirrors, mazda chose to use hardware and not software to enable the option.

Disassembly and reassembly are actually easy and quick and after doing 1 or 2 could easily be done in under an hour. The software update and wrapping cables with supplied foam tape takes longer then the actually labor to install. But dealers charging 2 hours is a fair price in my opinion.

I use Waze 99% of the time, and not having that in HUD is ok with me. I think HUD map display have to little information and I prefer what i see on the full google maps or waze.

But as mentioned, there is no AA in HUD currently. I have heard that AIO Tweaks has this, but I prefer the stability of the OEM AA over the AIO.

Unfortunately dealer updated my firmware to .502 while I had it serviced for oil change so AIO isn't an available option for me now :/ , it's a shame that Mazda isn't bothering to tweak api to allow HUD to support for google map. Mercedez and Honda seems to have done it from what I've seen. Mazda just seems to be slow at everything from integrating AA/ACP to improving it's compatibility with car's system.

It seems like there are some ways simulate the HUD projection onto the windshield. None of them are ideal and the options can be a bit pricey.
https://10carbest.com/best-hud-for-car
https://www.digitaltrends.com/car-accessory-reviews/hudway-cast-review

Personally, I'm just going with the AA/ACP upgrade even though it doesn't project on HUD.

I still use mazda nav even with google map on especially when I'm on highway coz it is really hard to tell which lane I should be taking well ahead of time by simply looking at the google nav when there's like 5-6 lanes clustered all together on the screen.

AA does not work with HUD.

Thanks for the answer, that's such a shame for $450 worth of equipment

Here's a response from Mazda that I found in regards to HUD support for AA/ACP

" Hi. Thank you for your feedback. Currently Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are mirrored through the use of your cellular device. In order for it to be integrated with the HUD, the phone would have to access the vehicle information. There are currently no plans for this integration "

Last edited:
I cant say enough good things about the Mazda nav guidance in the hud. If I could get CarPlay to display there, it would make the implementation perfect (shirt of wireless). Maybe we should get a petition going. Id sign. Ill definitely be sending Mazda an email about it.

Fair enough, brother.
I get both sides of the HUD issue...it would require some serious reworking and integration to get AA to display in the HUD so I don't fault Mazda for not adding. But I get totally get you guys wanting it too.
Not going to happen anytime soon.

The CRV I owned before my CX5 had AA/ACP and it did incorporate turn-by-turn into their digital display, so can't be too difficult.

With that said, the Mazda is by far a better platform to use the AA/ACP with. I really disliked using it in the CRV but love it in the Mazda.

Some folks complain about Mazda's infotainment but in my opinion its light years ahead and easier to use than the CRV's.

"Digital Display" isn't the HUD though because Honda has no such thing.

Right, not the exact same thing but I'm assuming the process of translating the turn-by-turn from a phone to a car's digital display or a car's HUD both require work from the manufacture to interface with AA or ACP. Just an example of an auto manufacture that does this. I have no idea how much more resources (if any) would be needed for this to work with Mazda's HUD compared to what Honda invested. I guess it's all about R&D and ROI.

Right, not the exact same thing but I'm assuming the process of translating the turn-by-turn from a phone to a car's digital display or a car's HUD both require work from the manufacture to interface with AA or ACP. Just an example of an auto manufacture that does this. I have no idea how much more resources (if any) would be needed for this to work with Mazda's HUD compared to what Honda invested. I guess it's all about R&D and ROI.

Honestly don't think it's that hard, it's just Mazda being lazy and slow as they always have been. Mercedes and Honda accord already have his feature and many other manufacturers are working to get it done on various cars while Mazda says they have no plan to integrate this according to their response. I mean like even non-OEM AIO tweak for mazda made by one volunteer has this feature so what's so hard for a big company like mazda to do some work on API to get it done

CarPlay can work with the HUD if Mazda coded the integration correctly. This is just pure laziness/incompetence from Mazda.

Well they implemented all this begrudgingly because they were losing sales. Im sure they still think their system is better.

Unfortunately dealer updated my firmware to .502 while I had it serviced for oil change so AIO isn't an available option for me now :/ , it's a shame that Mazda isn't bothering to tweak api to allow HUD to support for google map. Mercedez and Honda seems to have done it from what I've seen. Mazda just seems to be slow at everything from integrating AA/ACP to improving it's compatibility with car's system.

Sounds like the dealer didn't tell you about updating your firmware in advance and just went ahead and did it?

Back