CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

How did you managed to get your dealer install Apple Car Play - i have CX5 (2016) and my dealer says that it comes factory fitted and there is nothing he can do.

I am stuck with the outdated map - even thought I did purchased the online one (it was always OUTDATED) and I am not going to renew it. For example, I know a road that has been closed /blocked for years and still it ask me to pass.

Another, there is store that has been there since 1997 and my mazda doesn't show.
Where are you located?

Total cost came out to $368 at dealer.

They updated to firmware v70 and I lost all the mods from before. Hopefully with the bringback installed earlier along the tweaks I can just apply them again.

Just curious which NYC dealer did you drop your car off for the install? How long did it take?

Voice texting works well, but CarPlay (at least with my iPhone 6S) severely restricts the number of artists, songs and phone contacts on your phone that you can scroll through using the knob while the car is moving. The Mazda Connect phone book and music systems have no restrictions as long as youre using the controller knob, which is awesome and super easy. So why restrict CarPlay? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Mazda, remove the restrictions from CarPlay so that all phone contacts, artists and songs can be scrolled through at all times!!! I may have CarPlay removed if Mazda doesnt fix this with an update, and I wouldnt recommend someone add it to their Mazda as it works right now.

Voice texting works well, but CarPlay (at least with my iPhone 6S) severely restricts the number of artists, songs and phone contacts on your phone that you can scroll through using the knob while the car is moving. The Mazda Connect phone book and music systems have no restrictions as long as youre using the controller knob, which is awesome and super easy. So why restrict CarPlay? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Mazda, remove the restrictions from CarPlay so that all phone contacts, artists and songs can be scrolled through at all times!!! I may have CarPlay removed if Mazda doesnt fix this with an update, and I wouldnt recommend someone add it to their Mazda as it works right now.

Strange, I dont have a restriction on my iPhone XS unless my list is a lot shorter than yours.

Strange, I dont have a restriction on my iPhone XS unless my list is a lot shorter than yours.

While the car is sitting still I can scroll through all of the artists and all of the songs. Once the car starts moving it shows me a short list of recent artists that Ive played, so I have to use Siri to choose a different one. When I choose one, it only shows me 11 songs by that artist that I can scroll through with the controller knob. If I have more than 11 songs by that artist, the screen says at the bottom that I have to use Siri to choose other songs. Youre saying you dont have these restrictions? There are lots of discussions about this online related to many car manufacturers.

Voice texting works well, but CarPlay (at least with my iPhone 6S) severely restricts the number of artists, songs and phone contacts on your phone that you can scroll through using the knob while the car is moving. The Mazda Connect phone book and music systems have no restrictions as long as you*re using the controller knob, which is awesome and super easy. So why restrict CarPlay? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, Mazda, remove the restrictions from CarPlay so that all phone contacts, artists and songs can be scrolled through at all times!!! I may have CarPlay removed if Mazda doesn*t fix this with an update, and I wouldn*t recommend someone add it to their Mazda as it works right now.

Mazda has no control over CarPlay... this would be an Apple restriction as far as I know.

Mazda has no control over CarPlay... this would be an Apple restriction as far as I know.

Ive talked to Apple and they say the car manufacturers can configure CP/Android Auto to work certain ways in their vehicles. I wonder if Apple has more restrictions than Androids though. Either way, Im pretty sure Im going to have CarPlay removed and the car returned to its previous Mazda system. Even without CarPlay I can still voice text through Siri, receive text messages through the car, use the iTunes Music app through Bluetooth or my permanently plugged in iPod in the center console without any restrictions (which is most important to me), use the car navigation on the screen (or Google maps on my phone if needed as a backup), and I never was using Spotify or Pandora anyway.

Last edited:
You don't need to have it removed though. There's zero point to doing that. You certainly can use the MZD system exactly the way you want.

You don't need to have it removed though. There's zero point to doing that. You certainly can use the MZD system exactly the way you want.

The new Mazda 70 OS update that was required for CarPlay doesnt sync my iPod correctly when using the non-CarPlay USB. Mazda could probably fix that with an update (Ive told them about it), but who knows when. Maybe if CarPlay works better in three or four years Ill have it put back on.

Last edited:
Makes sense if the USB doesn't work.

Unfortunately the new OS update from Mazda puts artists in my iPod starting with The in the T category even though theyre sorted on my iPod to be listed under the name of the artist. So The Beatles, although sorted on my iPod to be listed under B for Beatles, is listed under T. Also, when I add a song or two, it shows fake duplicates of different songs by that artist and it takes a factory reset to fix it, so something with the new 70 operating system doesnt work right in regards to the second USB port.

None of this ever happened with the non-CarPlay operating system, the 59 OS, which always worked perfectly. Ive told Mazda about this and the CarPlay music restrictions, but who knows when they might fix the issues.

Last edited:
If connected to Apple CarPlay, is it recommended to disable or enable Bluetooth? What are the pros and cons having both connected with a single phone?

I was set to have ApplePlay installed but am hesitating. A couple of questions:

Once installed can I still use my current interface for GPS, radio, phone, etc. if I choose?

If I'm using Waze or Google Maps thru ApplePlay can I still listen to the radio/XM?

Did a search and didn't want a new thread for a simple question:

Where is the microphone located in the car?

Installed mine myself today and took a few shortcuts. Mostly in the fact that I didn't zip tie everything as recommended.

Took the car out for about an hour drive and noticed no rattles or new noises.

Don't know why there is talk of rattles, shouldn't be any.

Last edited:
Did a search and didn't want a new thread for a simple question:

Where is the microphone located in the car?
Don't know but usually most car companies have it in the rearview or the upper center console area where the interior lighting switch is. I think Mazdas is up there. Not 100%>

Don't know but usually most car companies have it in the rearview or the upper center console area where the interior lighting switch is. I think Mazdas is up there. Not 100%>

Exactly right.

Thanks, guys. I do see 2 small black/blank rectangular areas near where the front interior lights are. Maybe I'll try shining a light in there.

I'm just trying to figure out where best to "talk to" when I'm doing speakerphone.

Back