CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Yeah that's why I mentioned the Kenwood head unit. Double the price, but you get wireless AA and a touch screen. For me its probably not worth it because I am not driving a whole lot, but I will watch the prices and see what comes out in the aftermarket head unit space to see if anything compelling gets released.

Which dealer did you end up using? I am also in Chicago.

Hi Scott,

I think your link above is wrong. Also the head unit would require installation as well so the cost would be $799 plus? Finally it doesn't appear to have satellite radio built in from what I can see. This would be a deal breaker to me.

Thanks,
Glenn

Touchscreen functionality while driving works on Subaru outback. Is it really a liability issue? It really makes it a hassle to be able to search, move the map and zoom in and out efficiently. Sometimes I'll just pull up my damn pbone. That sounds more dangerous. This is 2018 ffs.

Also one issue I've noticed is that I won't get audio playing from Android auto. It's connected but no sound. The cars radio works fine and if I change source to Android auto nothing happens. The only way is for me to turn the car off and on. Unplug and replug does not work.

Touchscreen functionality while driving works on Subaru outback. Is it really a liability issue? It really makes it a hassle to be able to search, move the map and zoom in and out efficiently. Sometimes I'll just pull up my damn pbone. That sounds more dangerous. This is 2018 ffs.

I've never found myself in this situation. I see no reason to fiddle with nav or even system settings when the car is in gear. I'll either have my route/navigation planned out and set before I leave, and if I ever have to change anything, I pull over and do it.

This is just personal opinion, but I think that using the infotainment while driving should also be ticketed as a distracted driving offense.

Also one issue I've noticed is that I won't get audio playing from Android auto. It's connected but no sound. The cars radio works fine and if I change source to Android auto nothing happens. The only way is for me to turn the car off and on. Unplug and replug does not work.

Distracted driving is getting to be as bad as drunk driving so yes I think its potentially a liability. Would you be using your phone otherwise? Probably. Is that worse? Maybe.

By doing something about it its more defensible in court even if it doesnt help in the real world.

IMHO the distracted driving issue is real and dangerous. However I dont think disabling touch screens while driving will solve it. You need to get people to grow up and pay attention while driving.

Not sure what Mazda's official stance on this is, but I think touchscreen doesn't work because it can be considered a safety hazard/distraction. Of course, one could also argue that fiddling with the control knobs is just as much of a distraction.

Personally, I find that it's easier to navigate through menus using the control knob vs. "hunting and pecking" at the screen. It's cumbersome at first, but once I got used to where everything is, it felt easier. For example, I can easily switch from FM radio to a bluetooth audio source and back without looking at the screen. With a touchscreen, I feel like I'd always be glancing at the screen to make sure I pressed the right button, even after memorizing where the buttons are.

Mazda didn't disable touchscreen due to safety hazard, otherwise they would have disabled it for Apple Car Play as well. The reason its disabled for Android Auto and not Apple Car Play is Mazda engineers couldn't figure out how to disable the touch screen for Android Auto while the car is in motion, so they chose to just leave it disabled all the time so they could get it released. Hopefully they can figure this out in a future firmware update.

I drove a Hyundai rental vehicle. AA works when in motion on Hyundai, so this is still a mazda limitation.

the AIO tweak doesn't over ride this.

Also with the location of the screen on the 2nd gen using the touchscreen is a bit of a stretch anyway. I think for most stuff the knob works reasonably well once you get the hang of it.

It certainly does IF you add the Tweak to allow touchscreen while moving.

I largely agree with the knob being sufficient, but can you apply the (touchscreen while driving) tweak even after you've updated to v.70, or does it have to be done at v.59, prior to the AA/ACP upgrade?

Also agree that the knob is great. I did enable touchscreen. Rarely use it.

You cannot apply it from the USB stick once you upgrade past 59.00.502 without first doing the serial cable business.

Just got my 2017 CX-5 updated. Now I get "android auto setup will resume when the car is parked" I suspect the wiring is hosed as I tried doing multiple things. Reinstalled the app, tried a different USB cable, powered off the car and waited 10 minutes, reinstalled the app and ran through the setup, then powered the car back on. Keep getting "android auto setup will resume when the car is parked" even when I'm obviously parked. I suspect the head unit is getting a signal from the car that makes it think its in motion or something. The dealer has it now and I have a loaner until they figure out what is going on.

Running a One Plus 6t with Android Pie. I made sure every possible right is setup for the app.

Just received my parts yesterday and installed today. I had installed the firmware last week.

Works like a charm so far. Still have some learning to do with the commander knob vs touch but I'm not opposed to that. I'm stoked to have Android Auto and google assistant back in my DD :)

Just got my 2017 CX-5 updated. Now I get "android auto setup will resume when the car is parked" I suspect the wiring is hosed as I tried doing multiple things. Reinstalled the app, tried a different USB cable, powered off the car and waited 10 minutes, reinstalled the app and ran through the setup, then powered the car back on. Keep getting "android auto setup will resume when the car is parked" even when I'm obviously parked. I suspect the head unit is getting a signal from the car that makes it think its in motion or something. The dealer has it now and I have a loaner until they figure out what is going on.

Running a One Plus 6t with Android Pie. I made sure every possible right is setup for the app.
Just got the same phone. Works great in my loaner Tuscon. Haven't tried it in my Mazda yet. Wife won't let me have it until she gets her Volvo back.

You cannot apply it from the USB stick once you upgrade past 59.00.502 without first doing the serial cable business.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm on v59.00.446.

I think i'm just going to enable touchscreen for passengers and maybe remove the disclaimer screen.

Just got the same phone. Works great in my loaner Tuscon. Haven't tried it in my Mazda yet. Wife won't let me have it until she gets her Volvo back.

OK, things are looking better. Mazda reseated the connections in the head unit. initially had some problems connecting on the phone side. It would act as if it's popping something up and immediately close it down. I did go in and turn off battery optimization. After that I had it plugged in and the car turned off. I talked with the dealer and drove off with the intent of contacting Mazda corporate in the morning for troubleshooting. As soon as I started up the car and drove off Android auto kicked in. It's been working fine since then. (2thumbs)

I just did the serial cable last week. Turned out to be quite involved...needed to solder to the PCB to get a good connection and had to do the terminal commands at a really specific time to get it to work.

8abcfe1bf97096ee1712ebdbd9441c75.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I'm on v59.00.446.

I think i'm just going to enable touchscreen for passengers and maybe remove the disclaimer screen.

Dude... you are my proof! I've said more then once there are 17's out there that were sold with the old firmware.
DO IT! Run the BRINGBACK SCRIPT as well. This will re-enable the hacks after you get a new FW update.

I just did the serial cable last week. Turned out to be quite involved...

Defnetly involved. This is why I don't generally recommend it.

Last edited:
Dude... you are my proof! I've said more then once there are 17's out there that were sold with the old firmware.
DO IT! Run the BRINGBACK SCRIPT as well. This will re-enable the hacks after you get a new FW update.

OK, your enthusiasm is tilting me towards doing the AIO hack before the dealer puts in AA/ACP later this month.
What is the Bringback script? -- I'm going to have to research this a bit more.
We got our CX-5 in June 2017.

Back