CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

OP's is from corporate. Puyapim's is from a dealer. Corporate says dealer sets labor price.

Basically no cx5 before 2016 can use it lol. But honestly anyone who really wanted aa/acp didn't need to want 1-4 years to make this happen.. Could have just bought a new head unit, for less with more functionality to boot.

The CarPlay upgrade part kit is on special ($199), but labor can be variable from dealer to dealer (regionally mostly, because a dealer has to be competitive with their neighbors). But a dealer in Northern California will have a different rate than say, one in Central Texas or Upstate New York. That said, it should be a flat rate time job of ~2 hours, so if they do it quicker than that, the dealer "makes" even more money on the job (because the tech moved onto the next service). An efficient tech is a huge asset to the dealer.

For reference, Puente Hills Mazda in Southern California is charging $210 for the labor (so that implies either $105/hr for 2 hours of labor or $70/hr for 3 hours of labor), on top of the $199 parts special, so ~$425 with tax.

At one point in my career I had access to the flat rate time for every Honda and Acura dealer in the nation, and from what I remember, CA Bay Area Acura dealers had the highest rate and Midwest Honda dealers had the lowest.

Are ANY dealers charging as little as $70/hr labor these days?

My email says the same as OP's. Labor is probably 200 so basically the same price for everyone.

this is true. jus called in for a quote and the service guy said this is special offering from Mazda and the total is 399.95 excl taxes here in WA.

Just for comparison. Central Texas email says 199+ So i called the dealer in Hurst and they was 560 OTD and the one in Denton wants 417 OTD. So i will be making the drive soon to Denton.

If you run the auto recovery script and autorun, separately after you run the hack, it will bring back your access yo using the USB method after a firmware update. A couple people have confirmed that it even renabled touch while moving and no disclaimer automatically.

Sorry to be a bother, I just want to clear things up a bit... I read through mazdatweaks.com and plan to do the tweak later this week. I've also tried watching some YouTube videos although most of them were in Spanish or Thai.

It says in the FAQ, "Autorun & recovery are a set of scripts that will automatically regain SSH access and allow for tweaks to be installed when updating to firmware v59.00.502+ or when gaining serial access. The recovery script lies dormant until it detects it is needed then runs automatically in the background without you even noticing that it is fixing the issue."

Is this what you meant in an earlier post about running the Bringback script? Does the Bringback script, which seems to be an option to enable within the tweak program, include the autorun and recovery scripts? I guess I'm a little confused because you mentioned to run the auto recovery script and autorun separately and after running the hack/tweak. I'm bouncing between the github, mazdatweaks, and forums trying to make sense of this.

Last edited:
You're not being a bother brother. That's kind of the point of this place. And being an IT Manager by day and a giant tech nerd by night for some messed up reason I love to help people with tech stuff.
Ok, yes, that's what I was referring to. Somewhere I saw it was called the bringback script. I also read somewhere, that as a best practice (I'm a fan of best practices) you should install your tweaks first. Make sure everything works the way you intended, then go back and do the Recovery / Autorun. This is what I did.
I haven't updated the firmware yet though so I do not have personal experience. But I've see many report it works.
This allows you to continue to use the USB stick hack on any new firmware, and as I've said, I've seen at least 2 people report it also brought back the touch and disclaimer hack.
One last note while I'm rambling.
I changed my wallpaper. When I turn on my car the the radio loads with Mazdas background, then the display reloads very quickly and my wallpaper comes up. This does not bother me but I could see it annoying someone. I can film this for you if you want. It's very fast....faster then that stupid disclaimer I don't see anymore and has zero negative affect on performance. [emoji38]

Okay, thanks. That's clears things up.
I totally get your logic. When I do system reformats and installs, I install the "heavy" software first, and reboot at times to "set" the environment. Might make no difference in the end but it eliminates possible complications in my mind.
I have an idea of what you mean with the alternate wallpaper, I don't think it's a big issue.
Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Ok I installed the tweaks.
I went beyond the remove disclaimer and touchscreen and applied a few minor others.
I rarely use the touchscreen while driving but the remove disclaimer is a big plus for me.
We had a scangauge2 on our old car and this speedometer app mostly duplicates that data so it's terrific.
It would be nice if they had screenshots within the tweak program to demonstrate some of the visual mods but hey, free program, can't complain.

Thanks for everyones' help!

So while getting an oil change today my dealer told me they are doing the Android Auto retrofit for my 2016 Mazda CX-5 for $475 plus tax. Couple of questions regarding this news:

1) Is $475 a good price for the usb retrofit + AA installation?
2) Is there a solution / work around for wireless AA?
3) Do the late model (2019) support wireless AA?
4) Has anyone found any aftermarket head units made for the CX-5 that support wireless AA?

1.) I just setup my appt to get it done for my 2018 cx-5, and they quoted $499. This Bay Area, CA.
2-4.) I'm setting up Apple Play. Sorry, I don't know know.

Ok I installed the tweaks.
I went beyond the remove disclaimer and touchscreen and applied a few minor others.
I rarely use the touchscreen while driving but the remove disclaimer is a big plus for me.
We had a scangauge2 on our old car and this speedometer app mostly duplicates that data so it's terrific.
It would be nice if they had screenshots within the tweak program to demonstrate some of the visual mods but hey, free program, can't complain.

Thanks for everyones' help!
Take pictures with your phone.
They couldn't do a screenshot app. That would cause more problems then it would be worth. Can you imagine running our of storage space because your unit us full if screenshots?

Has anyone encountered anything like this?
Started happening this weekend where the interface initially is laggy then just disconnects with an error.

Yes I was trying both Nav and home even though I said home. Might try another video for the dealer but we wanted to take that right when it happened as I fear well take it in and theyll try to use it for 5 min and say we dont see a problem.

Wifes music not mine lol

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0xemXXZCKcSggSrHUpOtI-zsA#Omaha,_NE

Take pictures with your phone.
They couldn't do a screenshot app. That would cause more problems then it would be worth. Can you imagine running our of storage space because your unit us full if screenshots?

Oh, not the headunit, I mean within the tweak app that you use to compile the hack. I had to Google image search a bit before I realized what some of the main menu tweak options were (e.g., starpoint, flatline). The tweak app is already fairly helpful with the pop-up help dialogues when you mouseover things but I think sample screenshots would help too.

Is this a common issue with 59xx?? And is 70 supposed to address it?

I've started having just that problem recently, whereas it was flawless for the first year. It drops the connection randomly. But when I go to the phone, it show's BT turned OFF, so I was thinking it was more likely a phone issue.

In case anyone else runs into this problem:
settings>location>3 dots>scanning>BT scanning<--TURN OFF! [Android 7.0]

So I googled and did stumble on the key combo to force a reboot which seems to have at least for now resolved it.

Hold back + nav + mute for about 30 seconds (or until the Mazda logo flashes on the screen) and it will reboot.

Back