Tire size question

:
Cx5
I bought a used cx5 last summer, 2014 GS. Two weeks ago I got a flat that I had repaired at Costco. The Costco manager pointed out that the tires I had are size 225 60 17, and that they should be 225 65 17. I have a separate set of winter tires on rims so I use these tires April to November. Should I change them for new 225 65 17 tires or keep these and whats the difference? Thanks

The touring version tire size should be 225/65/17. I would keep them until they need replacement and then put on the correct size. Ed

You're just spinning your wheels.. bit faster than you should, speedo and odo are off (% or 2 maybe not huge), effective gearing tad short too. You're not hurting anything assuming sizes all match and fairly evenly worn but its definitely not doing you any favors- it would annoy me unless they were really good tires in very good condition I'd swap them out- no rush.. I'd rather run a touch tall (my winter set up is 235/65-17) to not run a tad shorter than my OE 19s are fwiw. If I lived in Canada or northern VT I wouldn't have done that as wider is not better on snow don't cha know eh?

Last edited:
Is it just ONE tire that is a 60 series? Or do they all match? If all the tires match, I would not stress at all. Of course it is all relative to what tires and tread/brand/etc, but your shorter sidewall 225/60 will have slightly better turn in, response, crispness, with a little loss in comfort, when compared to identical tire in a 225/65.

At COSTCO it matters, because they will ONLY sell you what size came on the car originally.

Thanks for the answers, all four tires are the same size and same wear, the brand is Firestone Destination with approx 60% left. It kind of bugs me knowing theyre the wrong size but I would have been happy if I didnt know. It would have bothered me even more if someone mentioned handling issues but if I understand mazdadude correctly, handling isnt an issue. I think Ill keep them on for the summer and maybe switch next summer. Im in Ottawa so wider tires are ok for summer not so much winter. Thanks again for all the replies.

Thanks for the answers, all four tires are the same size and same wear, the brand is Firestone Destination with approx 60% left. It kind of bugs me knowing theyre the wrong size but I would have been happy if I didnt know. It would have bothered me even more if someone mentioned handling issues but if I understand mazdadude correctly, handling isnt an issue. I think Ill keep them on for the summer and maybe switch next summer. Im in Ottawa so wider tires are ok for summer not so much winter. Thanks again for all the replies.

Yes, keep and drive them and enjoy. If you appreciate handling and enjoy driving sporty, your previous owner did your current ride a favor. (band)

Back