Trailer Hitch

FelixA7

:
Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
I'm looking for a trailer hitch for my 2018 CX-9. My main goal is to attach a bike rack that can carry 4 bikes. But, if there isn't much of a price difference, I'd like to buy one strong enough to take a U-Haul trailer. Any suggestions on make/model of trailer hitch? Whom should I hire to install? Dealer? Trusted mechanic? I bought this car just 9 months ago and I don't want to ruin it!

Since you don't want to install it yourself if there is a U-Haul center near you that may be the best option to get one installed that will meet your needs.

U-haul is ok, E-trailer.com seems to have the best options/pricing around though. If you really don't want to do it yourself, you can order from them and have someone local install it. I'd advise you look at their install video though, it's SUPER easy to do yourself (I did) and really hard to get wrong.

There are two aftermarket makers of hitch receivers for our cars, Curt and Cequent (labeled Drawtite, U-Haul). I don't know who makes the receiver sold by Mazda. All do a good job. You will want the one with the 2" square tube hitch opening. Pick the installer of your choice and let them get the receiver from their supplier. They'll also do the electrical wiring for you. The connector is built into the car under the inside panel on the right rear.

I installed the Draw-Tite on my '16 and it was a piece of cake.

HOWEVER

I just realized the exhaust is bumping into the hitch on the passenger side at the rear. I watched their videos about remedying it, which involves moving the muffler on the hangers, replacing a hanger or two with longer ones, or bending the hangers.

Has anyone had this issue? If I move the exhaust backward, it hits the hitch - there's only a small space between the two.

I have the draw tight from etrailer and have no problems I am aware of. But now I will have to check, ignorance was bliss.

I also bought tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller and the universal brake controller kit from etrailer, and the trailer wiring harness from Mazda and installed all that myself. It was the first time I did anything like that and took me nine hours, but I am sure it would go faster a second time around.

I have the draw tight from etrailer and have no problems I am aware of. But now I will have to check, ignorance was bliss.

I also bought tekonsha P3 trailer brake controller and the universal brake controller kit from etrailer, and the trailer wiring harness from Mazda and installed all that myself. It was the first time I did anything like that and took me nine hours, but I am sure it would go faster a second time around.

I was pretty proud of my handiwork until the other day I happened to be behind the car when it was running and heard it rattling.

And sorry to hijack your thread, OP. Did you buy your car with some tow package? I've read in some places you need to have bought a certain package to have the pigtails available for the wiring harness, and in other places I've read they all have the connectors ready. (I was planning to buy the Mazda harness)

I have not heard any rattling yet, knock on wood.

I think the pre-16 were available with or without tow package, there is not difference for 16 and newer. The plug should be on the right rear wheel well, just plug in the harness from the dealer.

I have not heard any rattling yet, knock on wood.

I think the pre-16 were available with or without tow package, there is not difference for 16 and newer. The plug should be on the right rear wheel well, just plug in the harness from the dealer.

Cool thanks.

Give your exhaust pipe a shove with your foot. Mine bumps against the hitch on the passenger side. I'm not sure I heard it, but now that I know it hits I can hear it when I go over big bumps.

I installed the Draw-Tite on my '16 and it was a piece of cake.

HOWEVER

I just realized the exhaust is bumping into the hitch on the passenger side at the rear. I watched their videos about remedying it, which involves moving the muffler on the hangers, replacing a hanger or two with longer ones, or bending the hangers.

Has anyone had this issue? If I move the exhaust backward, it hits the hitch - there's only a small space between the two.
I got the Draw-tite as well, no interference at all on mine. I installed it and have gone back under to torque the bolts again. Everything clears fine.

I had the local U-Haul install my towbar/hitch receiver. While I only intended to use it for a bike rack (and only have used it for a bike rack), I got the wiring harness installed at the same time on the off-chance I might hire a trailer in the future. I don't have many mechanical skills, so I was never going to attempt to install it myself.

Back