Question for folks who installed an UDP/Lightweight Crank Pulley

Riot_Polizei

Comp Engineering Student
:
2002 Mazda Protege5
It's been quite a few years since some of you began modifying your cars. I've been scanning through some of the old posts on here in regards to mods I'm interested in, and it seems like coupling a UDP/Lightweight CS Pulley with the OBX header is a good idea.

Thing is, UDPs concern me a bit, since the stock CS Pulley is designed with damping vibrations in mind. Theoretically, your engine will wear out way faster with a lighter/smaller pulley, wouldn't it? Or, is this not entirely the case? I've heard that the smaller the engine, the less it matters.

Either way, I see today that OBX, Unorthodox Racing, and Hydra Motorsports all sell some form of this pulley. UR has the UDP that I read several posts about, and Hydra Motorsports is just a lightweight pulley designed to be a direct fit for our accessory belts.

Which type is a good one to go with? I'm kind of leaning towards the Hydra Motorsports, since at the very least, it's the same diameter, but four pounds lighter than the stock pulley.Thanks in advance; once my funds are recuperated, I may put one of these in.

I have had the UR UDP for 10 yrs or so. Have noticed no ill effects. Remembering the right belt numbers for shorter ones needed is my only hassle but that doesn't come up often and have them written down somewhere, lol.................also have alt/ps/wp lightened pulleys and no issues with them either.

Back