Mazda to restart limited production July 23

Nothing mentioned here re CX-5.

I suspect if inventories were cleared, this might impact sales figures for August/September rather than July.

I checked the used CX-5 inventory in my nearest dealership. Zero.

42 New CX-5's in stock. Wonder how much that goes down in 2-3 weeks.

I checked the used CX-5 inventory in my nearest dealership. Zero.

42 New CX-5's in stock. Wonder how much that goes down in 2-3 weeks.

Depends on the stock levels at the specific dealer and the main entry port there

There might be a delay in how the inventory numbers happen. It could very well dip in Aug and Sept.

Sometimes when dealer inventories hit a certain mark plants will reduce production. No use having 4-6 months of cars sitting around. On the other hand, low numbers might hurt sales.

We shall soon know in the fullness of time.

Over 3000 were sold here last month. Interested in the figures for the next 3 months to see any impact

Didn't even hear on world news that there were heavy rains with flooding in Western Japan.

There might be a delay in how the inventory numbers happen. It could very well dip in Aug and Sept.

Sometimes when dealer inventories hit a certain mark plants will reduce production. No use having 4-6 months of cars sitting around. On the other hand, low numbers might hurt sales.

We shall soon know in the fullness of time.

Here at BMW NA, production never slows except to retool machines,refresh robotics,or when a new model comes out. In other words,all decreased units of production are planned ahead of time. Other than that, you can expect a car to Roll off the line every minute basically,or 1400 per day. It*s cray cray...

Here at BMW NA, production never slows except to retool machines,refresh robotics,or when a new model comes out. In other words,all decreased units of production are planned ahead of time. Other than that, you can expect a car to Roll off the line every minute basically,or 1400 per day. It*s cray cray...

It sounds like they have the production fine tuned to meet demand. Some companies overproduce and then either cut back or make deals with fleets to get rid of inventory.

People need to remember Mazda is a far smaller company than BMW, particularly in terms of sales.

In 2017, BMW sold 2.46 million automobiles
In 2017, Mazda sold 1.43 million automobiles.

So a factory shutdown would impact Mazda more than BMW.

People need to remember Mazda is a far smaller company than BMW, particularly in terms of sales.

In 2017, BMW sold 2.46 million automobiles
In 2017, Mazda sold 1.43 million automobiles.

So a factory shutdown would impact Mazda more than BMW.

Yes, and with their production mainly centered in Hiroshima, Mazda cannot rely on other plants to take up any slack.

Yes, and with their production mainly centered in Hiroshima, Mazda cannot rely on other plants to take up any slack.

Neither can BMW. All BMW X3,X4,X5,X6,and soon to be X7 are only produced here at the NA plant. A majority of those are custom built for the customer as well,so moving production to another plant isn*t feasible...

Last edited:
Reading that letter, nothing states that the Mazda is slowing down for the low volume of sales or anything to do with it but rather it looks like they are more concern on their staff trying to recover after this recent disaster that just happened to them and the suppliers of parts that they need probably have shut down too. So less parts, less work.

Both CX-5 plants were in the flood affected areas

As I recall, there are two main assembly plants and a engine plant. The engine plant and one assembly plant are pretty close to each other near the water. The other assembly plant is a bit further away.

Hiroshima is definitely a Mazda city. I would love to go there, not because of Mazda but because of the history of the atomic bomb.

Im sure Mazda has suppliers in Hiroshima as well as in the rest of Japan too.

Besides Hiroshima:

f4pb34.jpg

Back