Upcoming CarPlay with HUD?

paulj

:
CX-5
About to purchase a CX-5 GT and deciding on the Premium Package. Only thing I want/need from it is the HUD. When CarPlay finally becomes available I'd like to add it (depending on cost) but can't find any info on if the navigation directions from Apple Maps (Google Maps/Waze in iOS 12) will integrate with the HUD.

I'm guessing the HUD will only show the Mazda navigation info but hopefully someone can clarify.

Thanks,

Paul

About to purchase a CX-5 GT and deciding on the Premium Package. Only thing I want/need from it is the HUD. When CarPlay finally becomes available I'd like to add it (depending on cost) but can't find any info on if the navigation directions from Apple Maps (Google Maps/Waze in iOS 12) will integrate with the HUD.

I'm guessing the HUD will only show the Mazda navigation info but hopefully someone can clarify.

Thanks,

Paul

I think that other cars (honda, etc) only show the directions from android auto on the HUD as they are primary android powered head units but not sure what the MZD connect is built off.

I have a iphone, i'm assuming it will not show directions, unless thats something they open up as part of IOS12 that might not have mentioned in their press conference.

I think that other cars (honda, etc) only show the directions from android auto on the HUD as they are primary android powered head units but not sure what the MZD connect is built off.

I have a iphone, i'm assuming it will not show directions, unless thats something they open up as part of IOS12 that might not have mentioned in their press conference.

Thanks. Much like everything else I'm reading about Mazda/CarPlay, there seems to be a lot of confusion. I'm trying to convince myself to get the PP so I can get the HUD and this would help :)

Thanks. Much like everything else I'm reading about Mazda/CarPlay, there seems to be a lot of confusion. I'm trying to convince myself to get the PP so I can get the HUD and this would help :)

Let me help:
Get the PP regardless. The HUD is awesome, even without AA/CP. You won't regret it!

Let me help:
Get the PP regardless. The HUD is awesome, even without AA/CP. You won't regret it!

It's hard to say for $1,500. While the HUD is the best feature and i never have to look at the instrument cluster to see my speed, it also reads the speed limit signs and will show you on the HUD what the last speed limit posted was. It's easier to use the radar cruise control as you can see the speed its set to on the HUD and adjust. Unfortunately if you are a big sun glass wearing, the polarized lenses pretty much wash out the HUD. Its easy to see in direct sunlight as well.

The heated steering wheel is nice but not needed, it also only heats up the right and left side of the steering wheel and not the top. as i'm a 1 handed driver and hold the top mainly, it doesn't work for me so i go 2 handed when its on.

Rear heated seats, never used them but it also includes a USB hub back there in the armrest so its nice when driving a full car.

The headlights turn 15 degrees as you turn the car left or right, not a huge deal but nice if your in the back mountain roads that are curvy.

While it cost $1,500 i was look at some of the top of the line 2016's with our without the feature via kbb.com and it seemed like after 2-3 years the price compared between the 2 cars for resale value was about $700 higher for the PP package, so you are able to reclaim some of that cost if you sell it within a few years and its a more desirable feature.

Also, there is no way to add any of the features after you buy the car, an extra $1,500 over the life of the loan is like an extra $10 a month.

If you hold out a little longer 2018's will start going on sale for 2019's and 2019 might bring more features for your price point so you are in a situation where waiting only gives you more options, assuming the 2019's would come out around October and they should announce the new features prior to that.

HUD and polarized sunglasses do cause it to get washed out. I have oakley prescription polarized sunglasses and the HUD gets washed out unless I till my head at an angle lol However, ever since I tinted the full windshield (70% tint) it made the HUD much more readable with my sunglasses on. Other than the HUD I wanted the memory seat and heated steering wheel, 2017 didn't have memory seat option other than getting it with the PP.

Thanks for the replies. Lots of good information. I got a good valuation from Carmax last night so that helps with the decision!

Thanks,

Paul

The CX-5 sold in China supports Apple Carplay and Baidu Carlife (substitution to Android Auto since most Google services are blocked in China). The HUD does show directions, without lane information though, from Carlife but not from Carplay. So the future U.S. units probably wouldn't show directions from Carplay either.

Back