Tires: Saw these on that Range rover commercial...Pirelli

:
Mazda CX5 Touring with PEP
That commercial, where the Range Rover climbs 999 steps and then bottoms out on the top step as the guy gives the fist pump...I was paying attention to detail, thought the black wheels with the red vehicle looks hot, and the closer I looked at the tires, they have some kind of tread on the sidewalls. Kind of a all terrain mud and snow. So i did a little research, looked at both Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct. The tires are Pirelli Scorpian All Terrain Plus and for my 2017 CX5 Touring 17" rims....$158.93 per. 50000 mile tire, it is new, only three reviews, noise level did not go up much, but who knows after 25k or so on them. Reviewer liked them on gravel, and some snow, said they handled as well in snow as a snow tire.

The price is reasonable, my chances of ever going off road are slim and none, but winter driving could be on the horizon with the CX5 in my winter beater goes down for any length of time. Granted I only have 5k on the vehicle bought in November (parked it for the winter) But i loved the look of those tires and they were used on the RR, not a cheap car.

FYI, those tires were special tires that were reinforced for that specific feet; climbing 999 concrete/stone steps...so, a special production tire

newer tires usually do well in the white stuff but like you said, how will they do after a year of two of mileage on them. In the winter, I would put performance/traction over other qualities like noise. In the winter, vehicles tend to be a bit noisier than in summer, so a bit of extra tire noise is no big thing. however, with that said, how does the rubber perform at the lower temperatures? will it be a plyable/grippy at 0*F as it is at 50*F?

I hear the BFG A/Ts are good in the winter too, better on snow than ice, but then again, ice is that nasty take no prisoners weather monster.

If they are in the budget and you don't want to buy true winter rubber, I say go for them.

FYI, those tires were special tires that were reinforced for that specific feet; climbing 999 concrete/stone steps...so, a special production tire

newer tires usually do well in the white stuff but like you said, how will they do after a year of two of mileage on them. In the winter, I would put performance/traction over other qualities like noise. In the winter, vehicles tend to be a bit noisier than in summer, so a bit of extra tire noise is no big thing. however, with that said, how does the rubber perform at the lower temperatures? will it be a plyable/grippy at 0*F as it is at 50*F?

I hear the BFG A/Ts are good in the winter too, better on snow than ice, but then again, ice is that nasty take no prisoners weather monster.

If they are in the budget and you don't want to buy true winter rubber, I say go for them.

IMO, tires in general, are about as subjective as bicycle seats. All you can really go upon is the opinions of others, and then comes the moment of truth when you decide to believe what you have read and lower the percentages of making a bad choice. I know that plenty here like the General tires that are about $140 per. I have been reading up on the Pirelli tire in question, they are in my budget, if what I read is true they are a do all type tire that has a design to mainly be a road tire with good wet grip, with the capability of handling snow and gravel and not be noisy. They are NOT a summer type grippy performance tire, and again from what I have read, when pushed to their limits, they give the no mas signal of squealing. For the next few winter seasons, my CX5 will not be seeing any harsh W PA/ snow belt weather unless my winter beater Xterra dies on me. That did happen last winter for a few weeks when the CX5 was brand new with the new OE Yoko tires and weather was not bad yet. Im waiting to see if a sale pops up on Discount tire direct here at Labor day, if the price is right I may get a set.

Not that it makes a big whoop difference, Tire Rack now has 4 reviews by buyers of the tires, all positive. And a write up review by TR.

Dem tires, I may have been mistaken that they were the tires used in that video. A Discount tire Direct guy was looking at the pics and did a few other searches and thinks they were Goodyear. At any rate, i bought a set of the Pirelli AT tires today for about $645 shipped plus a 20% discount on that price in the form of Visa rebate cards etc. I hope they are as good as the advertising and staff reviews from Tire Rack.

Back