2018 CX-5 - A few questions

I recently just tinted my front windows of my 2018 CX-5 to match the rear windows. Big difference in keeping my car cooler in the California sun. Also, I have a sun shade that I use. The sun shade on the windshield combined with the tint is the best option to keep your car cooler.

Hope that helps!

The 2018 doors feel pretty solid and heavy. If anything, people struggle to close them because of the vacuum caused in the car by all the e tea door seals etc.

I dont notice the windscreen getting any dirtier than my previous car (an Audi A5). I do notice the rear view mirror vibrates, but I have bass right up and listen at about 40.

I recently just tinted my front windows of my 2018 CX-5 to match the rear windows. Big difference in keeping my car cooler in the California sun. Also, I have a sun shade that I use. The sun shade on the windshield combined with the tint is the best option to keep your car cooler.

Hope that helps!

Didn't CA ban tint on the front side windows recently?

Didn't CA ban tint on the front side windows recently?

I believe tinted front door windows must be a max of 70% (which is basically clear) in California. Many people have tinted side windows here though (myself included).

The 2018 doors feel pretty solid and heavy. If anything, people struggle to close them because of the vacuum caused in the car by all the e tea door seals etc.

I don’t notice the windscreen getting any dirtier than my previous car (an Audi A5). I do notice the rear view mirror vibrates, but I have bass right up and listen at about 40.

Some cars do a great job keeping glass clean. My 1995 trans am remains the champion. At 75mph, the only thing that could hit that glass due to airflow was something g heavy with low surface area like a June bug or beetle. The cx5 does nothing airflow wise hardly to protect the glass. So I get where that is coming from, but it is just what it is. It simply means there are no notable high pressure zones off the glass, which means more aerodynamic. Fair nuff.

I believe tinted front door windows must be a max of 70% (which is basically clear) in California. Many people have tinted side windows here though (myself included).

Even clear ceramic tint is insane at keeping heat out. Blew my mind using the dealers test contraption with a heat bulb.

The "door thunk" complaints are all coming from KE owners. Perhaps the KEs have lighter doors and different seals than the KFs.

Seals on my doors are fine. The weight and design of the internal components make them feel super cheap and rattle though. Takes me back to the 90s.

The door seals are doubled up on the KF so they take a bit more pressure to shut. I regularly use Merc E class taxis and even those that haven’t done about 4 light years mileage don’t sound any better when I shut the door. As for the notion that a CX5 gets dirtier glass than other cars, is it alate April fools joke? Whatever is out there will land on the glass. There is a cure though, leave it at home in the garage.

The door seals are doubled up on the KF so they take a bit more pressure to shut. I regularly use Merc E class taxis and even those that haven’t done about 4 light years mileage don’t sound any better when I shut the door. As for the notion that a CX5 gets dirtier glass than other cars, is it alate April fools joke? Whatever is out there will land on the glass. There is a cure though, leave it at home in the garage.
Maybe whatever environment they are in is causing the glass to get dirtier quicker than normal (uhm)

Even clear ceramic tint is insane at keeping heat out. Blew my mind using the dealers test contraption with a heat bulb.

This. I drive a 2nd gen CX-9 and the heat from the thicker windshield alone is a little much. I'll be looking into a clear ceramic tint for my windshield soon, in the meantime I'm using a cheap reflective sunshade.

Maybe whatever environment they are in is causing the glass to get dirtier quicker than normal (uhm)

I think it might also have something to do with the grade of the slope on the windshield, to some degree.

As for the notion that a CX5 gets dirtier glass than other cars, is it alate April fools joke? Whatever is out there will land on the glass. There is a cure though, leave it at home in the garage.

Agreed. What a silly concept. Glass gets dirty.

The door seals are doubled up on the KF so they take a bit more pressure to shut. I regularly use Merc E class taxis and even those that havent done about 4 light years mileage dont sound any better when I shut the door. As for the notion that a CX5 gets dirtier glass than other cars, is it alate April fools joke? Whatever is out there will land on the glass. There is a cure though, leave it at home in the garage.

It's a legit statement. I agree with him. My CX5's windshield won't dodge a butterfly hardly. No high pressure zones. But it IS aerodynamic?

It's a legit statement. I agree with him. My CX5's windshield won't dodge a butterfly hardly. No high pressure zones. But it IS aerodynamic?

Well I guess a Lotus or McClaren with a very steeply raked windscreen might carry dust and pollen over the screen but any SUV is going to cop anything heavier. It*ll also get wet in the rain.

Well I haven't noticed my windscreen getting more dirtier and we have lots of bugs etc here.

(hmm)

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's responses!

So...I spoke to my Mazda dealership, finally. Corporate at first declined to repair the instrument cluster, but my dealership fought, told them it was a defect, and corporate agreed to pay for and replace the part. The part will have to be ordered once I approve it. The entire instrument cluster has to be replaced.

Here is the issue:

1. It will appear on the CarFax report. I can't even imagine how labor intensive this repair would be.

2. Since it's a new instrument cluster, the mileage will be at 0. They will have to manually increase the mileage, and I was told that it might be off a few miles.

What do you suppose I do here? The scratch is not that noticeable...I'm sure most people won't notice it, but in the right lighting, it can definitely be seen. Thoughts on asking for reimbursement of some sort? Maybe free service? I mean this repair would have to cost at least $2,000-$3,000 including labor and parts...

I don't want the value of my car to decline because of it, nor do I want incorrect mileage.

Back