Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
I'd like to know how many people actually do it every oil change, as you're supposed to.
The CX-5 is my first AWD car so I will rotate them every oil change or seasonally when I put the snows on. I mark the tires so I know where they were.
But when I had FWD cars, and on my current, it wasn't (isn't) very often. The tires on my 5 year old FWD have never been rotated. I had a blow out when it was 2 years old and only replace that one tire. The fronts are currently a little lower than the rears but not as bad as you'd suspect. I never loved the stock tires on that car so I wasn't concerned about making them last. When I get a new set this winter (5 yrs old, 40K miles) I will rotate more frequently. Probably every oil change then.
If you choose other, please comment.

Last edited:
I do, seasonally, switching between winter and summer set. I also mark them and do it rear-crossed-to-front. Winter tires are directional, so no crossing.
On my other car, two oil changes a year with seasonal tire change, crossing.

My mechanic simply tells me if it needs rotating. If I try to insist on rotating them too often, he gets upset :)

⋯ The CX-5 is my first AWD car so I will rotate them every oil change or seasonally when I put the snows on.
For your 2016(.5) CX-5 AWD, Mazda recommends 5,000-mile tire rotation interval. But I do tire rotation during the oil change which is at 30% of oil life left on Flexible oil change interval; and it's 5,000~6,000 miles.

I do every 8k miles. Will push it out to 16k miles every other oil change.

2008 Saturn VUE 6000 miles/year once a year. 2004 Silverado 2WD 10,000 miles/year gets four winter tires. I mark tire position when removed and rotate them when installed. Change oil twice a year on dabotathem. Trading the Saturn for CX-5 Sport AWD next week. Probably will do the same oil change and rotation as the Saturn. ZEPRO advanced moly 0W20.

Mine are rotated way more often than needed.

15,000km per year on all-season and winters. In December winters go on, April all-seasons go on and in August for the annual service they rotate the all-seasons. So 3 times a year!

The tires were all original from 2014 and the all-seasons (Toyo) have 44,000km and the winters (Michelin) have 17,000km. I'll likely need new all-seasons next April when the winters come off (so they will get close to 50,000km before replacement).

5000 miles. If you have wear issues like inside tire wear you should probably consider a more aggressive interval.

I get email notices from discount tires every 5-6000 miles. I've noticed during oil change they rotated my wheels too, and prior to oil change I went to american tires to get them rotated so I think they're back to where they were lol

Might help, but the only thing adjustable is toe, if it's a camber issue you're stuck with it.

That's good to know.
But if I had unusual tire wear, I'd get it checked. If it's out of spec, I'd be looking for damaged suspension components to determine why.

That's good to know.
But if I had unusual tire wear, I'd get it checked. If it's out of spec, I'd be looking for damaged suspension components to determine why.

Yes, but if your current settings are more towards negative camber while still in spec with everything being tight and in good condition, as has been for some former members on this forum, you're more than likely to get tire wear on the inside. The only way out, other than to get some sort of a cam kit for your control arm, is a more aggressive tire rotation schedule. But you're right, get the alignment checked, check for damaged parts.

Last edited:
Was doing every 5k miles during free dealer oil changes. When those went away last year, I have not really rotated since. About the last rotation interval, I put on snow tires (WS80's), then put the Michelins back on and they were more worn then I realized. Just got a set of new tires on Friday, so will be back on to 5k rotation intervals since they are free at Discount Tire.

I'm the outlier here. I don't rotate them. I have two sets of tires; winter and non-winter. With the mileage I put on each year on each set, they last just fine until it's time to replace them just due to the age of the rubber (4 years usually). So I replace all 4 tires at once as needed. I used to have the tires rotated years ago on previous vehicles and every single time I had some sort of problem develop with the tires (like runout or belt separation, for example). So I stopped having them rotated and have had zero problems since! Even though I change between the winter and non-winter tires myself, I still don't rotate them. I'm sure most will disagree with my practice and say that I'm foolish, but it works for me, I've had zero tire issues and I get good tread life.

Back