2017~2024 Possibly buying CX-5...

Thanks for the advice! I think I will wait and see what the Toyota Rav4 Hybrid looks like. Sounds like nobody's getting anywhere near the mpg IRL with the CX-5 that's promised on the sticker. :( I'll keep it on the list, and depending on what the Rav4 has to offer might take a second look.

If the Cx5 doesnt interest you please do yourself a favor and test drive the Honda CRV. The next gen rav4 might impress (will have to wait for reviews) but the current gen rav4 is a joke compared to the crv. The biggest thing the Cx5 has over the competition is the handling and the styling. Objectively the new rav4 looks very good but its yet to be determined how it will be from a driving perspective. When you compare the current Cx5 to the current crv, as far as utility goes, the crv is a better CUV. I chose the Cx5 because I had fun behind the wheel and I love the way it looks. The crv and rav4 are haulers first and foremost, but youll enjoy yourself behind a Cx5 whereas you wont get that with the other cuvs of a similar class. As always, test drive. Everyone has different needs

The CX-5 does fine on hills, and before I made the purchase I was worried about that as well. I drove from Los Angeles to Las Vegas and going up the mountain was not a problem. There are long stretches of uphill climbs and it didn't struggle at all. I do use sport mode to keep the rev higher when doing these long distance drives and I got about 29mpg for that 240'ish mile trip. Mine is just fwd so not sure how awd will do since they're a bit slower (probably due to more weight from awd?). But yeah I think you should wait for the 2019 rav4 hybrid to come out and see how you like that compared to the CX-5. Good luck with your car hunt =)

Awd cx5 isnt slower. Faster if anything.

I guess I'll be the lone dissenter on the AWD question. After 5 years, what is it going to get you in resale? An extra $300? At the very best. How much did it cost you for that 1-2 mpg less in MPG over 5 years? AND you're in NC? You do NOT need AWD. If you were in Cleveland? Detroit? Buffalo? Yes. Snow 'a couple times a year'? Save. Your. Money.

I live in SWMO and not counting my driveway, awd has done a ton for me.

If the Cx5 doesn’t interest you please do yourself a favor and test drive the Honda CRV. The next gen rav4 might impress (will have to wait for reviews) but the current gen rav4 is a joke compared to the crv. The biggest thing the Cx5 has over the competition is the handling and the styling. Objectively the new rav4 looks very good but it’s yet to be determined how it will be from a driving perspective. When you compare the current Cx5 to the current crv, as far as utility goes, the crv is a better CUV. I chose the Cx5 because I had fun behind the wheel and I love the way it looks. The crv and rav4 are haulers first and foremost, but you’ll enjoy yourself behind a Cx5 whereas you won’t get that with the other cuvs of a similar class. As always, test drive. Everyone has different needs

The rav4 hybrid has a sport tuned suspension, etc. Have to wait and see.

As you requested, I went older, and it is still $700-860 value difference between FWD and AWD...

If you have to drive in any foul weather or snow, here is a good video to observe the difference between FWD and AWD.

You don't need to sell me on AWD bro. Mazdas is awesome. I'm saying the resale is negligible after 5 years. Allow me...
Ok, there's a 2013 AWD vs. FWD pricing.
Hmmmm....
Ok...my bad.
I'll see myself out....
e295c0b6ebd5eec3f17f3678fb1c6bfc.jpg
d17c1dc2abae33bc2ef190d91d3332b0.jpg

You don't need to sell me on AWD bro. Mazdas is awesome. I'm saying the resale is negligible after 5 years. Allow me...
Ok, there's a 2013 AWD vs. FWD pricing.
Hmmmm....
Ok...my bad.
I'll see myself out....
e295c0b6ebd5eec3f17f3678fb1c6bfc.jpg
d17c1dc2abae33bc2ef190d91d3332b0.jpg

I wonder how much a wreck awd could have prevented on an icy day devalues vehicle...

If the Cx5 doesnt interest you please do yourself a favor and test drive the Honda CRV. The current gen rav4 is a joke compared to the crv. When you compare the current Cx5 to the current crv, as far as utility goes, the crv is a better CUV.

I would stay as far away from the CR-V as I could, until Honda comes up with a fix for the gas in oil (and lack of cabin heat) issues with that 1.5L turbo drivetrain.
They had to put a stop sale on the CR-V in China, and have only recently been allowed to resume sales there, after issuing a recall.
There has been no recall so far in North America, which is just Honda trying to suppress the issue and make it go away without actually doing anything about it.
Check out this rather long thread on the Honda forum for details.
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forum...potential-issue-watch-your-oil-level-189.html

Last edited:
2016 awd, 0-60 in 7.7
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-mazda-cx-5-25l-awd-test-review
2015 fwd, 0-60 7.8
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mazda/cx-5/2015/2015-mazda-cx-5-touring-review-update-4/

Want to argue "different driver/day/moon phase"? Then you seem to agree that they are so close ymmv and it's not worth debating, which I'll agree with. But the traction in rain snow and gravel is indisputable.

Comparing actual controlled test 0-60's between the two is "no help"? Lol, what WOULD help?

Read what you wrote earlier. You also forgot to mention different model years, and most important: different testing organizations, venues, etc.

As you said, 0.1 sec is not worth debating. It's far within the margin of error and variability. It's meaningless.

If you want to argue, fine, but look elsewhere. I'm asking for meaningful information that supports your assertion. Got any?

Read what you wrote earlier. You also forgot to mention different model years, and most important: different testing organizations, venues, etc.

As you said, 0.1 sec is not worth debating. It's far within the margin of error and variability. It's meaningless.

If you want to argue, fine, but look elsewhere. I'm asking for meaningful information that supports your assertion. Got any?

Yeah, I asserted that you were wrong when you said that due to extra weight the awd carries, fwd is faster, and said that "if anything, awd is". I supported that just fine. I even used a 2016, which is heavier still, for the awd vehicle.

In a situation where traction matters awd will be faster by a good margin.
My FWD CX-5 is a pig beyond 75 mph with 4 passengers and cargo. I have not heard this issue with AWD. Last week a group of coworkers drove 200 miles in a rental RAV4 doing 90+ all the way with cargo as well. I doubt my FWD CX-5 would do that.

Yeah, I asserted that you were wrong when you said that due to extra weight the awd carries, fwd is faster, and said that "if anything, awd is". I supported that just fine. I even used a 2016, which is heavier still, for the awd vehicle.

Unob, you're confusing me with lowincash. Pay attention, man!

Back