Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Anyone had occasion to remove the underhood insulation mat?

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    3,261

    Anyone had occasion to remove the underhood insulation mat?

    The hood skin adhesive spots on my 2013 finally let loose (there's a TSB for this) and on rough roads the top of the hood visibly jumps up and down. Rather unnerving! Since the car is long out of warranty, I want to try and repair it myself with the 3M adhesive Mazda recommends using. I have the proper plastic trim tools for removing the retaining "buttons" on the underside of the hood. I'm just wondering if any unusual precautions need be taken to avoid dimpling the sheet metal on top?

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    3,261
    Never mind; I got them off with no problems. Several adhesive spots broken. Ordered 200 ml of 3M #04274 NVH dampening material on eBay for $32.45 delivered. Looks like a pretty simple fix. Some of the metal tabs did not even have any of the original material applied during assembly. Shame on Mazda!

  3. #3
    Registered Member GP 2004's Avatar

    2015 CX-5 GT AWD liquid silver

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Chicago suburb
    Posts
    641
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Never mind; I got them off with no problems. Several adhesive spots broken. Ordered 200 ml of 3M #04274 NVH dampening material on eBay for $32.45 delivered. Looks like a pretty simple fix. Some of the metal tabs did not even have any of the original material applied during assembly. Shame on Mazda!
    That does not sound good, missing glue completely on several spots?!! BAD!

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    3,261
    Quote Originally Posted by GP 2004 View Post
    That does not sound good, missing glue completely on several spots?!! BAD!
    Well the good news (for you) is that by 2015 they seem to have gotten it figured out!

  5. #5
    Registered Member Sekmor's Avatar

    2014.5 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    199
    Paris................FWIW, I had this done at the dealer. Instead of a few blobs here and there, the new adhesive was gooped on way more than the original, running beads in several spots. Looks like it was applied with some sort of caulking gun. It's been a year and hood does not vibrate any longer.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    3,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekmor View Post
    Paris................FWIW, I had this done at the dealer. Instead of a few blobs here and there, the new adhesive was gooped on way more than the original, running beads in several spots. Looks like it was applied with some sort of caulking gun. It's been a year and hood does not vibrate any longer.
    That's exactly what I plan on doing. 200ml of the adhesive should be plenty and the 3M product comes with a nozzle applicator.

  7. #7
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,435
    So I am a bit lost and my hood definitely vibrates. So what exactly are you doing?

  8. #8
    Registered Member CX-5um's Avatar

    13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    2,638
    ^^^hmm I wonder if they are talking about a DIY fix to resolve early models' hoods vibrating.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    3,261
    Well yes, it is in this case a DIY fix for that issue. However the procedure is according to the TSB (which I have been unable to open on this site because you need a Google account and I don't have one!) And ColoradoDriver, the reason your hood vibrates is the problem affected 2013-2014 models. PS: Mine took about 5 years for the adhsive to finally let go.
    Last edited by paris1; 07-16-2018 at 02:11 PM.

  10. #10
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,435
    Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    Well yes, it is in this case a DIY fix for that issue. However the procedure is according to the TSB (which I have been unable to open on this site because you need a Google account and I don't have one!) And ColoradoDriver, the reason your hood vibrates is the problem affected 2013-2014 models. PS: Mine took about 5 years for the adhsive to finally let go.
    Yikes. Sounds like something I should fix then!

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Posts
    3,261
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Yikes. Sounds like something I should fix then!
    If it bothers you, and it's gotten to that point w/me, fix it. It's really not a difficult job. Worst part is shelling out $35 for the product. And don't just use any old adhesive. The stuff I mentioned is specially formulated for NVH dampening.

  12. #12
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,107
    I took the insulation off my '14 when I brought it in for the broken glue spots just so they couldn't say no problem found. Stuff they used was black, when it cured it was like hard plastic, had no give like the original stuff.

Similar Threads

  1. WTB Underhood insulation liner ASAP
    By SpdFreak in forum Completed Transactions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 06:23 PM
  2. underhood wiring
    By meicalnissyen in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
  3. msp underhood pics
    By msp 2212 in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
  4. Sub insulation
    By nautical2086 in forum Mazda How-To
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
  5. Underhood Liner
    By cej22 in forum Protege5
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 10:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •