Anyone had occasion to remove the underhood insulation mat?

:
23 CX-5 Premium
The hood skin adhesive spots on my 2013 finally let loose (there's a TSB for this) and on rough roads the top of the hood visibly jumps up and down. Rather unnerving! Since the car is long out of warranty, I want to try and repair it myself with the 3M adhesive Mazda recommends using. I have the proper plastic trim tools for removing the retaining "buttons" on the underside of the hood. I'm just wondering if any unusual precautions need be taken to avoid dimpling the sheet metal on top?

Never mind; I got them off with no problems. Several adhesive spots broken. Ordered 200 ml of 3M #04274 NVH dampening material on eBay for $32.45 delivered. Looks like a pretty simple fix. Some of the metal tabs did not even have any of the original material applied during assembly. Shame on Mazda!

Never mind; I got them off with no problems. Several adhesive spots broken. Ordered 200 ml of 3M #04274 NVH dampening material on eBay for $32.45 delivered. Looks like a pretty simple fix. Some of the metal tabs did not even have any of the original material applied during assembly. Shame on Mazda!

That does not sound good, missing glue completely on several spots?!! BAD!

Paris................FWIW, I had this done at the dealer. Instead of a few blobs here and there, the new adhesive was gooped on way more than the original, running beads in several spots. Looks like it was applied with some sort of caulking gun. It's been a year and hood does not vibrate any longer.

Paris................FWIW, I had this done at the dealer. Instead of a few blobs here and there, the new adhesive was gooped on way more than the original, running beads in several spots. Looks like it was applied with some sort of caulking gun. It's been a year and hood does not vibrate any longer.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. 200ml of the adhesive should be plenty and the 3M product comes with a nozzle applicator.

So I am a bit lost and my hood definitely vibrates. So what exactly are you doing?

^^^hmm I wonder if they are talking about a DIY fix to resolve early models' hoods vibrating.

Well yes, it is in this case a DIY fix for that issue. However the procedure is according to the TSB (which I have been unable to open on this site because you need a Google account and I don't have one!) And ColoradoDriver, the reason your hood vibrates is the problem affected 2013-2014 models. PS: Mine took about 5 years for the adhsive to finally let go.

Last edited:
Well yes, it is in this case a DIY fix for that issue. However the procedure is according to the TSB (which I have been unable to open on this site because you need a Google account and I don't have one!) And ColoradoDriver, the reason your hood vibrates is the problem affected 2013-2014 models. PS: Mine took about 5 years for the adhsive to finally let go.

Yikes. Sounds like something I should fix then!

Yikes. Sounds like something I should fix then!

If it bothers you, and it's gotten to that point w/me, fix it. It's really not a difficult job. Worst part is shelling out $35 for the product. And don't just use any old adhesive. The stuff I mentioned is specially formulated for NVH dampening.

I took the insulation off my '14 when I brought it in for the broken glue spots just so they couldn't say no problem found. Stuff they used was black, when it cured it was like hard plastic, had no give like the original stuff.

Back