2017 Mazda CX-9 front suspension clunking/knocking noise

They took the brakes apart and put them back together but still got the same noise but the mechanic said it is fine and that it has been noted on a mazda data base. Still not convinced. It's a lot of money to pay for a vehicle that make a loud noise after you apply the brakes 🤔

I've had this issue for well over a year - Main tech said it's a known issue but Mazda has yet to publish a TSB so there is nothing they can do. Only happens at slow speeds (like parking), when applying brakes (Fwd or Rev).. Super annoying...

Yes I am noticing the same noise and its annoying and I'm concern. I will contact the local dealership since the car is with warranty. I hope they don't give me the double talk ya-ya or I will be contacting the auto safety control department.

I had similar noises. At first they replaced some bushing and that stopped the noises when goingnover bumps. But I still heard noises when accelerating or breaking. They ended up replacing something else and the noises are gone. All covered under warranty.

I had similar noises. At first they replaced some bushing and that stopped the noises when goingnover bumps. But I still heard noises when accelerating or breaking. They ended up replacing something else and the noises are gone. All covered under warranty.

Can you tell me what they replaced? Maybe a image of the work documentation of the parts, etc.? My dealer says it's a break TSB issue that they don't have a fix yet...

I have a 2019. There is a clunk noise when going over a speed bump. I'm not sure if it's normal. I've owned many cars in the past and they dont make that noise. This car is brand new with 60 miles. I'm guessing maybe it's the suspension design causing this single clunk noise when the struts are being compressed over the speed bump? It's not very intrusive, but noticeable.

I have a 2019. There is a clunk noise when going over a speed bump. I'm not sure if it's normal. I've owned many cars in the past and they dont make that noise. This car is brand new with 60 miles. I'm guessing maybe it's the suspension design causing this single clunk noise when the struts are being compressed over the speed bump? It's not very intrusive, but noticeable.
No, that's not normal. You should have the dealership check it out after demonstrating/showing them the noise that it makes and what conditions produce it.

Trix, a couple of suggestions: (a) make a video running over the bump and capture the sound of the clunk. (b) find a place close to the dealership with a hump where you can demonstrate the clunk for the service writer.

Not much is more frustrating than bringing your car in with a problem, and when you pick it up the work order says, "could not duplicate."

any update on the fix? I have the same issue, I just bought a brand new CX-9 Signature yesterday and noticed the noise today :(

any update on the fix? I have the same issue, I just bought a brand new CX-9 Signature yesterday and noticed the noise today :(

No I didnt bring the car into the dealer yet. This seems like a widespread issue. I'm going to bring it up on the first oil change. I'll try to check underneath the vehicle in the coming week. I usually repair my cars when out of warranty so maybe I'll be able to figure this one out. I'll let you guys know what I find.

A quick update on the knock/clunk noise, the dealer found a service advisory on my VIN number and replaced the bump stop.

After doing an extensive test drive, I can confirm the issue has been resolved.

The manager allowed me to take a peak on the advisory document and it shows the issue for the noise from different regions/countries, however, every VIN number range has a different part to be replaced for the same issue. So your CX-9 part may not match mine.

I just purchased a 2019 CX-9 Grand Touring and we now have the suspension popping issue. It started at the drivers front, noticeable when we would pull in / out the driveway. Now it's the entire suspension and over any bump. It makes a ton of noise, still under warranty.

I know the car is due for the first service, so I'll take it back to the dealer. However, like others, I'm a little suspicious - I've seen a few possible things posted - strut towers, tie rods, etc. Sounds to me like it's spring / strut related as it happens when the suspension compresses / over bumps.

Very frustrating as we really like the car. I got out of a Nissan because it was garbage, I'm hoping this car doesn't become a similar experience.

Any additional insights would be appreciated.

Hey everyone my 2017 cx9 has a clicking noise when I apply the brakes after going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive it sounds like something is loose in the front suspension i took it to the dealer but they are trying to tell me it is normal but when I bought the car brand new it never done it dose anyone else have this problem or even fixed it

Add me to the list of having this issue. 2018 with 24k miles on it. Sometimes hard to replicate so will be going to the dealer in a week or so to try to get this resolved.

Last edited:
Yup. I don*t think it is as loud as that but yes seems the same. I have never sat outside the car to listen to it yet.

See my post above for this exact issue:

I had this same issue with the clicking, never happens when I am just driving, notice it most in my driveway doing a 3 point turn because I am going forward and reverse alot. Took it to where I bought the car, service manager came out and listened to the noise, however before we even got to that point he said it sounds like it is the normal noise for the car. We did replicate it and his statement was that if they greased them, then this would come back again in a bit, and also that other cars do this as well. I wasn't going to push the issue, but for a 43k MSRP car this is poor. I have owned many many cars and have never had a car make a noise like something is wrong and call it normal. lol

Other than this item I am happy with the car so I guess I ignore it for now, just wondering what another place would say if I tried to trade it in at some point.

I just purchased a 2019 CX-9 Grand Touring and we now have the suspension popping issue. It started at the drivers front, noticeable when we would pull in / out the driveway. Now it's the entire suspension and over any bump. It makes a ton of noise, still under warranty.

I know the car is due for the first service, so I'll take it back to the dealer. However, like others, I'm a little suspicious - I've seen a few possible things posted - strut towers, tie rods, etc. Sounds to me like it's spring / strut related as it happens when the suspension compresses / over bumps.

Very frustrating as we really like the car. I got out of a Nissan because it was garbage, I'm hoping this car doesn't become a similar experience.

Any additional insights would be appreciated.

Is the suspension popping issue like loud or just faint? Does it happen when pulling in our out just straight or say only when on an incline? Ive noticed on mine (2017 MY) but very rare when going to turn the wheel and going over a bump or ingress of my driveway that there will be a click that is noticeable and can feel the feedback thru the steering wheel. Not sure if this is normal though or really an issue and like I mentioned only happens rarely...

Thanks to the folks here confirming I'm not crazy. I, too, have the same sticky brake caliper and/or pad loosening itself upon initial brake application. It usually happens right at the first application of brakes after being parked a little bit. Now I need to try to figure out if this is also the same sounds that seems more suspension-related that I'm hearing. It may be one in the same, but when you've got a zillion other things on your mind, kids in the backseat, etc., it's hard to isolate and think about the circumstances related to these sounds.

Back