2017 Mazda CX-9 front suspension clunking/knocking noise

James85

:
2017 Mazda cx 9
My cx 9 has about only 6000 miles. Pretty much every time when I go over the speed bump, the front driver side suspension will make clunking or knocking noise. First time took it to the dealer, they replaced lower control arm but the noise is still there. The second time they said that it was the windshield cowl(loose or broken pin). I am about to call the dealer for the third time. Does anyone else having the same issue? What could it be?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gBhziLE6uuU

In the above link, its the video that I took which show the clunking noise. I dont know how well you guys can hear it. But, its the same recording that I showed it to the service writer.

Last edited:
I have similar noise also coming from driver's side front end when going over speed bumps and pulling in/out at bottom of my driveway. I mentioned this to dealer to look at during my first oil change a few months back and they said they could not find anything. Everything seems tight and it drives fine so I'm thinking/hoping it's just an annoyance as opposed to an actual mechanical problem. If it gets worse and my dealer finds something I'll report back.

if you have a noticeable noise/clunk in the front end under any circumstances it's likely not going to get better on its own. Instead of throwing parts, or guesses, at it the dealership techs should take it on a road test to attempt to isolate the noise and then fix it. Failing that they should check the condition and torque of the controls arms, struts, sway bar end links and subframe bolts. That kind of noise could be coming from any of those components and finding and fixing is exactly what they should be doing under warranty. Personally I would not accept anything less.

I have a similar clicking/spring link noise for the past several months, and the lead Mazda tech says it's my brake calipers. As the pads wear, there is more of a gap and this the new gen CX9 is prone to this. There is no fix or TSB yet. He asked me to write an email about this issue to my sales guy and they will both submit to Mazda Corp to see what they can do for me.

In the past, this tech has been spot on with any issues I had with my 2011 CX9, and has gone to bat for me to get certain repairs covered by Mazda. So we'll see

James, I'd suggest finding a suitable bump near the dealership where you can take the service writer or the tech for a ride. Find the bump yourself, save yourself time. Little is more disappointing than the "failure to find" note on the work order. I think that windshield thing is just a blind guess, but anyway, they should have fixed it. I'm not sure a click from the brake caliper is the same as the clunk from the front end.

I've fought these suspension clunks when I've done an upgrade. A minuscule gap, something tight but not tight enough, can sound like a bass drum inside the car. Keep them looking.

My cx 9 has about only 6000 miles. Pretty much every time when I go over the speed bump, the front driver side suspension will make clunking or knocking noise. First time took it to the dealer, they replaced lower control arm but the noise is still there. The second time they said that it was the windshield cowl(loose or broken pin). I am about to call the dealer for the third time. Does anyone else having the same issue? What could it be?

James, I'd suggest finding a suitable bump near the dealership where you can take the service writer or the tech for a ride. Find the bump yourself, save yourself time. Little is more disappointing than the "failure to find" note on the work order. I think that windshield thing is just a blind guess, but anyway, they should have fixed it. I'm not sure a click from the brake caliper is the same as the clunk from the front end.

I've fought these suspension clunks when I've done an upgrade. A minuscule gap, something tight but not tight enough, can sound like a bass drum inside the car. Keep them looking.

That would be my next step. I have found couple spot near the dealership that have the big speed bump. I will call to request an appointment to take the service writer on a test/ride. I will report back if dealer tech find anything.

I'm currently having the same issue. I have a 2013 CX-9 AWD 71,000 miles and took it to the dealer to have the transfer case replaced because it was leaking. They replaced the transfer case for free claiming it was under warranty. But now it clunks when I turn at times and most noticably over uneven surfaces like turning into my driveway slightly sideways at an incline. I took it back to the dealer, they said the tightened a few things up and it's still doing it. Gonna take it back to the dealer again tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.*

I'm currently dealing with the same issue on a 2018 Touring FWD. Sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side and seems to only happen when turning at an angle and at an incline (either uphill or downhill).

At first I thought motor mount issue, but who knows. Car only has 2000 miles. Probably keep trying to replicate it consistently and then show them when I take it in for first oil change.

I just registered on this forum to report about what I thought was suspension clicking and clunking on my 2017 CX-9 with ~10k miles. It started happening more and more the last couple thousand miles. Happened everywhere--inclines, driveways, on the highway when hitting bumps OR when coming off bumps (suspension unloaded).

I jacked it up and couldn't find anything that seemed like it would make the noise, but then I happened to notice the upper strut tower bracing/bar that at the base of the cowl/top of firewall had four bolts that were all loose! Tightening those got rid of my noise.

I hope this helps anyone, though I suspect that's not the cause of the sound the OP in this thread is demonstrating.

I just registered on this forum to report about what I thought was suspension clicking and clunking on my 2017 CX-9 with ~10k miles. It started happening more and more the last couple thousand miles. Happened everywhere--inclines, driveways, on the highway when hitting bumps OR when coming off bumps (suspension unloaded).

I jacked it up and couldn't find anything that seemed like it would make the noise, but then I happened to notice the upper strut tower bracing/bar that at the base of the cowl/top of firewall had four bolts that were all loose! Tightening those got rid of my noise.

I hope this helps anyone, though I suspect that's not the cause of the sound the OP in this thread is demonstrating.

Could you please post a pic of the area you tightened on your CX-9. Thanks!

I'm currently having the same issue. I have a 2013 CX-9 AWD 71,000 miles and took it to the dealer to have the transfer case replaced because it was leaking. They replaced the transfer case for free claiming it was under warranty. But now it clunks when I turn at times and most noticably over uneven surfaces like turning into my driveway slightly sideways at an incline. I took it back to the dealer, they said the tightened a few things up and it's still doing it. Gonna take it back to the dealer again tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.*

****Update**** Took my car back to the dealer and spoke with the head mechanic. He said it was the Strut Bearing that needed to be replaced at a cost of $700. Told me that if it didn't bother me, which it doesn't cause it's not that bad(YET), I could hold off till I couldn't stand it anymore than bring it in to have it fixed which I will do. In the mean time, I'm gonna do what "starlessblack" did below and see if my strut tower is loose as well.

Thank you! I tightened mine yesterday afternoon (one was actually so loose that I could spin it with my hand) and it immediately fixed the issue. I'm glad this was such a quick fix and was nothing major.

Now, to address the intermittent clunk that seems to come from the transmission...

Could you please post a pic of the area you tightened on your CX-9. Thanks!

Just inside each strut tower (the towers each have 3 silver bolts/nuts) there is a brace/bracket between the two towers (black horizontal bar in picture below). Each end of this bracket has 2 black bolts/screws that hold it in place and these are what need to be tightened. 12mm IIRC.

cache.php

Last edited:
I finally had time to pop the hood and look... And found that the on mine the fuse box was not fully latched on one side. That could be an issue with the clunking because I hear it on the drivers side. All my strut and brace bolts are tight so it wasn't that.

I did find that the cowl is a bit loose and able to jiggle so that might be an issue on larger bumps too. I put some adhesive backed closed-cell foam in certain areas to help that not move. Hoping I won't hear anything the next few times I drive it
0fb411e4ff49c2e5982c639d8a75dd66.jpg

I still haven't had a chance to take my car back to the dealership. I do periodically check back on this forum for any new information regarding the clunking issue. After reading OKC_CX9 post, I decided to pop my hood and noticed that two plastic piece were rubbing against each other on the driver side of the cowl area. I put a piece of sink rubber gasket in between the two plastic, I think that took care of my clunking issue, at least I hope so. I did test drive around few speed bumps in my area, so far so good, no clunking noise. I hope this completely solved my issue, I will report back when I drive the car more and see if the noise if still there.
1zr0ug2.jpg
[/IMG]
xasxnd.jpg
[/IMG]

James, it appears that either a piece (that you replaced with your temporary rubber bit) is missing, or something is allowing those parts to move more than was intended. If you find out, please let us all know.

Just inside each strut tower (the towers each have 3 silver bolts/nuts) there is a brace/bracket between the two towers (black horizontal bar in picture below). Each end of this bracket has 2 black bolts/screws that hold it in place and these are what need to be tightened. 12mm IIRC.

cache.php

Thank YOU!

In the above link, its the video that I took which show the clunking noise. I dont know how well you guys can hear it. But, its the same recording that I showed it to the service writer.

This one seems like an easy fix given the obvious nature of the knock. When the dealer replaced the LCA, where you given an explanation as to why? I personally require the dealer to sketch out either on paper on on their whiteboard, the exact reason why they believe replacing anything on the vehicle is required to solve a mechanical issue. Otherwise, I could end up in a parts swapping contest - which is nothing more than a proverbial hunting expedition by another name. A good mechanic should know the mechanical nature of the vehicle well enough to bring a scalpel to solving the issue with precision as opposed to a parts swapping jack hammer in the hopes of one day solving the problem.

The knock I'm hearing sounds structural. It clearly sounds like two components coming together under force and by way of motion. This means, they are at least two components that are spatially off-set from each other and located in the same relative location. The noise travels deep into the cabin and the sound wave being produced has a relatively sharp peak with relatively low pitch - this indicates Large Components are most likely involved. The larger the components involved the larger the coupling or binding device used to seat them together. These components seem external to the Engine and Transmission. They also seem attached to the Frame or Chassis. It certainly seems to emitted from near the front and it seems to be triggered with the compression of the front suspension.

Was the Strut Assembly checked? That would be my first area of interest. Engine mount checks would be my second. My guess would be that between those two areas the culprit would be found.

Back