Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Mazda CX-9 front suspension clunking/knocking noise

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring 2016

If the steering knuckle bump stock is against at its limit, you have one part tight against another. Then any vertical movement will make a motion that isn't normal and a noise that isn't normal. If backing off the steering wheel a small amount eliminates this noise, that's it. A dab of lube on the bump stops will offer temporary relief.

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 Signature, 2011 BMW VF620 M3

I was suggesting the noise this thread is talking about is the bumpstops and is normal.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD

*****UPDATE***** Got my CX-9 back from the dealership. They had it for a month, had multiple mechanics look at it, thought it was the strut bearing, changed them, it wasn't the problem. They finally figured it out, It was the inner tie rods. They had to replace the whole rack and pinion because the tie rods and rack are one assembly. Cost me $1400 bucks. PROBLEM IS SOLVED! The clunking sound is gone!*

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

You paid out of pocket??

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Wabbit View Post
    You paid out of pocket??
    Yes, I paid out of pocket.

Registered Member

Cx9

Hey everyone my 2017 cx9 has a clicking noise when I apply the brakes after going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive it sounds like something is loose in the front suspension i took it to the dealer but they are trying to tell me it is normal but when I bought the car brand new it never done it dose anyone else have this problem or even fixed it

Registered Member

02 R53

The CX3,5, M3 had a spring protector TSB for the random intermittent clunk. The 9 came much later & may not be included in the dated advisory. Try asking your dealerships. The OEM protector is cheap.

Registered Member

Cx9

I'll ask them about it. But went back today to make sure they could hear the noise and now they're telling me that it is the wear in the calipers and it's normal. I don't know if that is a thing or they just don't know.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Corny View Post
    Hey everyone my 2017 cx9 has a clicking noise when I apply the brakes after going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive it sounds like something is loose in the front suspension i took it to the dealer but they are trying to tell me it is normal but when I bought the car brand new it never done it dose anyone else have this problem or even fixed it
    I'm experiencing the same thing. My guess is there's a slight play between the pad and the bracket.

Registered Member

2017 CX-9 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Corny View Post
    See my post above for this exact issue:

Quote Originally Posted by greggmischenko View Post
    Update on my situation: Having fixed the "popping" sound myself by tightening the screws that hold the bracket/brace between the strut towers (see my prior post with picture), I was left with a metallic-sounding clunk/thud at low speeds when coming to a stop and sometimes when the wheels were turned. I brought it to my closest dealership earlier this week for an oil change & tire rotation and asked that they look into this noise/thud I've been hearing and feeling. I left detailed instructions of how to recreate the sound with the service rep. Of course, they call me later that morning and tell me that they can't replicate the issue .

I go down to the dealership that afternoon and drive around the parking lot with a technician and we were able to recreate the sound and he actually heard/acknowledged it! Now, I must say that the circumstances to recreate the noise were different than what I had experienced in the past. It would usually happen after backing/turning out of my driveway (down a slight incline), driving down the block approaching a stop sign, and then lightly applying the brakes. As soon as I touched the brakes, and I could have sworn sometimes when just coasting and the car downshifted from 3-2 or 2-1, I would hear/feel this metallic clunk that sounded like it was coming from the front of the car and underneath the back of the engine. In my mind I was convinced it was something to do with the transmission or drivetrain.

But in the parking lot with the technician I was able to get it to happen when pulling into or backing out of a parking spot, on relatively flat ground, with the steering wheel nearly turned all the way in either direction, and gently applying the brakes. Even moving just a few feet with the steering wheel turned and then applying the brakes would cause it to happen.

Well, the technician took the car back and he started looking into it right away. An hour later I got a call that the car was all set - the technician took apart the front brakes, cleaned, and reassembled everything. Apparently at least one of the brake pads was not seated correctly or perhaps it was something with the caliper movement - the technician was not positive. But whatever it was, the technician believed that something was essentially causing the front brakes to "stick" or get caught up and the noise/clunk was the brakes freeing themselves up. When I first heard this explanation I did not have high hopes that the situation was actually fixed.

But low and behold it's been a couple of days and the noise/clunk has not come back even once! The brakes feel like they grab a little better too (not sure if this is just from cleaning or if there really was something restricting the caliper/pad movement).
    I'm very happy with the service I received from the dealership and am glad they actually were able to hear/acknowledge the noise and actually fix it. I am self-admittedly very nit picky and often when I bring my cars in for something like this I'm told that they can't hear anything or that it's normal operation.

Anyway, I know this is a long post but hopefully someone finds it helpful!

Oh, one more thing - when I was driving with the technician I mentioned to him about the "popping" noise coming from the brace between the two strut towers and he said he's had two CX-9s with that exact issue there this month. Officially, there was no known issue/bulletin from Mazda and so it took him over a week to finally find those loose bolts. Apparently they are coming directly from the factory this way: bolts that are only finger-tight, if that, and end up loosening more as the car is driven. He said one of the CX-9s he just had in was only a couple of weeks old. So this is still a problem on brand new 2018 models and has been for a while, seeing as how mine is a 2017.

Registered Member

Cx9

They took the brakes apart and put them back together but still got the same noise but the mechanic said it is fine and that it has been noted on a mazda data base. Still not convinced. It's a lot of money to pay for a vehicle that make a loud noise after you apply the brakes 🤔

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-9 GT

I've had this issue for well over a year - Main tech said it's a known issue but Mazda has yet to publish a TSB so there is nothing they can do. Only happens at slow speeds (like parking), when applying brakes (Fwd or Rev).. Super annoying...

Registered Member

Yes I am noticing the same noise and its annoying and I'm concern

Registered Member

Yes I am noticing the same noise and its annoying and I'm concern. I will contact the local dealership since the car is with warranty. I hope they don't give me the double talk ya-ya or I will be contacting the auto safety control department.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123