2017~2024 Thumping sound on turning under load for front wheels

sumobom4

:
Mazda 2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg AWD
I have a 2017 CX-5 GT and for the past 3-4 months, I am hearing a weird thumping sound from the front wheels whenever I make a turn that tends to load the front wheels. Good example is turning into a driveway that's slightly elevated from the road where the thump is heard first from inner and then, outer front wheel. Another example is when making a quick turn from standstill like a quick U-turn, where the thumping sound is heard only from the outer front wheel. Normal driving including turns at traffic signals does not cause this sound. At my last service, the dealer was not able to recreate this sound and unfortunately neither was I. They refused to do anything about it. Lately, the sound seems to have gotten marginally louder. There is no perceptible effect on the trajectory or speed of the car, though. If I was deaf, I wouldn't know that there was a problem.

Should I be worried? I did mention this in my feedback to Mazda NA after my service, but no one got back to me.

I'd check lug nuts tightness first...

I got my tires rotated at Costco and saw them tighten the lugs myself about a week after my last service. Sound still persisted. I will check tonight, nonetheless.

You can try different shop. However, you've got to realize that if they are unable to reproduce it on the test drive, good chances are that the new place will be unwilling to do anything either. Unless you're willing to pay for diagnostics. You see, they have to make a technician to rip into the car without clear chance of charging you for repairs if they find nothing. Most techs are flat rate, so they earn nothing if they don't fix it. So instead of doing a highly profitable brake job they'd be chasing gremlins, in their understanding. No matter how sure you are about the reality of the problem.
That's how it works, for the better or worse...

There's a TSB that cover this.

Subject:
Bulletin No.: 02-002/18
KNOCKING / SQUEAKING NOISE FROM FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER,
CREAKING NOISE FROM FRONT LOWER ARM BUSHING

I have the same noise that OP describes on my 2017 GT. It sounds like a clunking noise similar to a worn out stabilizer link noise. I just had my car at the dealer diagnosing this and while they acknowledged the noise they couldn*t find the source. I may have to go back and point to the TSB mentioned here.

For anyone interested TSB 02-002/18 can be found here

Edit: After more digging online into TSBs I found that TSB 02-012/18 (CLUNKING NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION WHEN DRIVING OVER BUMPS) may be more applicable for my vehicle (produced before February 1, 2018)

TSB 02-012/18 can be found here

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have noticed this clunk sound every time I turn to go up into my driveway. I'll do a video of it before I bring it in...

I have a similar intermittent clunk on my 2017 CX5 GT seemingly from front left strut area which I've been working to isolate with a second Mazda dealer. Have recording of sound and fortunately tech and advisor have heard for themselves. Original dealer in my city of Etobicoke put the blame and cause from a single oil rust proofing application (no holes) and essentially voided my warranty @ 7500km because it wasn't there wax rust proofing. Second dealer has thus far replaced in order a front left strut bearing mount, entire strut and now the 2 front stabilizer mounts. Problem persists. Very frustrating to say the least.

Any trick to getting the dealership to take this seriously? Maybe another dealer?

I've been complaining about this since the second service at the dealer and they say they can't replicate the sound. I even sent them a video of the noise and they said nothing is wrong with the car. It is exactly as you say, while turning with some load and exterior wheel, most times it is on right turns. I will try a different dealer but here in Panama all dealers stink, to be polite.

Please let me know if they find you problem. I'm in Toronto area as well and have the same issue on our 2018 and only 5000k on it.

Have you resolved your CX5 clunk? My Mazda service advisor has returned from his holidays and I sent the TSB 02-012/18 (CLUNKING NOISE FROM FRONT SUSPENSION WHEN DRIVING OVER BUMPS) that "ovexi" member sourced. Service advisor claims TSB is American which I find very frustrating as its my belief most if not all CX5's are built in Japan for North America? How different could the US and Canadian versions be and why would suspension be different? That being said he's curious if anyone has had TSB fix for the clunk and resolved? Please advise....Thx
Call Mazda Canada and mention your problem and related TSB.

Please let me know if they find you problem. I'm in Toronto area as well and have the same issue on our 2018 and only 5000k on it.

UncoMike,

Have you resolved your CX5 clunk? Was the TSB 02-012/18 used or otherwise to resolve?

Thx

I had the same issue on my CX-5 2017 and I got it resolved by my dealership just last week by installing protectors on front coil springs. It was done under warranty, according to TSB released by Mazda (some EU one, sorry I do not have the number). My car was in range of affected VINs mentioned in TSB so this was first what they tried to do. I was bit skeptical it will help because I heard noise mostly from rear and this was fix for front coil springs... But indeed, it resolved the problem completely for now! I just hope it will last for a long time.

There is a national backorder on the part with no ETA. I've been driving a 2018 cx-9 GT for the past two weeks, so I cant complain too much.

Back