OBDII scanner BT Android apps

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+
Which app do you use for your OBDII scanner on your Android phone?

And has anyone upgraded to the paid version of Torque Pro? Is it worthwhile?

I use Forscan for Mazda and TorquePro for Chevy. I didn't have the need for Pro yet, but what a heck...

Why different apps for different cars? How do they compare?

Forscan is for Fords and Mazdas only. However, extremely deep digging. The laptop app is quite on par with OEM software.
I haven't found anything better for GM yet, besides Tech2 that I also have. But on the road I use Scangauge2, and sometimes Torque Pro.

So you think Forscan is better than TorqueLite? The interface sure looks a lot slicker.
Don't see Scangauge in the store.

So you think Forscan is better than TorqueLite? The interface sure looks a lot slicker.
Don't see Scangauge in the store.
Sorry, Scangauge is the device. Old fashioned, showing four parameters of your choice, with many different functions.
Forscan can read many more times PIDs then Torque. I guess, it's individual's choice what to use. To me, I take information ahead of its presentation.

I just received an OBDLink LX Bluetooth scan tool, a Samsung Tab A 7* tablet, and TorquePro software.

I went with the OBDLink because (a) it was highly recommended by several review sites, and (b) it has a passcode connection process so no one else can connect to it. They also provide firmware updates. I had no problem connecting it to my tablet.

I'm pretty new to this so don't know what to think of the TorquePro yet. One thing I have noticed is that there is not much documentation for these applications. Trying to figure out exactly what they contain before buying them is challenging. There are no specific PID sets in TorquePro for any Mazda.

When set up for a generic CUV and connected to the scanner, the app lists all of the available generic CUV PIDs, with 3 Status types:
-No Active Sensor seen
-Active Sensor seen but not receiving data
-Active Sensor, receiving data

The one thing so far that confuses me is there is no PID for Engine Oil Pressure in any PID sets, which is highly disappointing. This is the main gauge I wanted. I looked at the PIDs under the Ford-specific profile and there is no Engine Oil Pressure OID there or in this generic CUV set. I'm somewhat baffled by this. I know you can add Custom PIDs, but don't know much about it right now. One would think that Oil Pressure is such a basic gauge that would be included if there is a sensor/sending unit. I'd appreciate input on this. Does FORScan have an Oil Pressure PID? Or do the sensors merely close a switch if the pressure hits a preset minimum (to turn on an idiot light), as opposed to being true sending units?

<s>I read that some folks have had a hard time finding software with Transmission Temp. There is a Transmission Temperature PID that Receives Data in my CX-5 in TorquePro. I just made a 20 mile round trip and the Transmission Temp is the same as the Engine Coolant Temp (198). I've read on this forum that others have had the same experience with Tran Temp=Oil Temp for a period of drive time, and that when the Transmission Temp finally rises above the Engine Coolant Temp (however long that may take), it stays there and does not cool back off. I only care about this measurement because the temp needs to be at a specific level in order to check the fluid. I don't plan on towing anything other than a small boat.</s>

edit to correct: The Transmission Temp PID in TorquePro actually reads the coolant temp. I would not have known this had I not added the coolant temp gauge right next to it and seen they move together.

TorquePro has a HUD feature where it displays the gauges backwards, so at night the reflection can be viewed off of the windshield. I have yet to try this at night...in daylight the display washes out. TorquePro also allows for multiple Profiles so you can set it up for multiple vehicles.

One downside on the TorquePro...their user forum layout stinks. It does not have topic-specific layouts or sections. There are 11 Pinned topics, and then there are links to jump to specific pages (Individual Links for Page 1 through Page 115 and growing). Threads appear to be in date order. There is a Search box.

A side note on the Samsung tablet: One of the reasons I chose this model was I intended to mount it landscape (sideways) in the dash trough in front of the infotainment system in such a way so I could securely lay it down flat on-the-go in order to see the infotainment display (primarily to change radio stations), then raised it back into position safely with just one hand as I'm driving...I want an extended gauge set there (larger than my phone) where I can see it in my driving line of vision and not down by the console. The 7" Samsung is a perfect fit. I had the mounting all figured out without having to modify or permanently affix anything; however, I did not realize that you cannot see a tablet's display when turned sideways if you are wearing polarized sunglasses! (bang) This morning I went from excited to disappointed in one quick turn of the tablet. *sigh* In hindsight it sure makes sense.

Last edited:

TorquePro has specific PID sets in the database for these cars (when you create your vehicle's profile):

-Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Mercedes
-Emerald M3D ECU
-Ford (incl Powerstroke)
-Orion BMS
-Other
-Pontiac/GM/Opel/Vauxhall
-Prius Gen 2 (2004-2009)
-Prius Gen 3 (2010+)
-Prius PHV

There are no sub-menus for specific models below this, just the list of PIDs. "Other" truly is "Everything Else."

The struggle I'm having is that I don't know if unavailable measurements are because there are no such sensors in my car (oil pressure, oil temp) or because Torque Pro does not have those specific PIDs for the Mazda. The Pre-Defined PIDS for the above-listed vehicles specifically have the manufacturer name by each PID (Ford Transmission Temp, Chrysler Coolant Temp, etc).

The Transmission Temp PID on my installed app shows that there's data transmitting from the adapter, but it is reading the coolant temp. I can always download different software and try it, since it's Free-to-Cheap. Hopefully this is a software limitation and not an adapter compatibility issue. Kedis82ZE8 made a recommendation I'm gonna try. And I may troll the TorquePro forum (as horrid as it is).

The struggle I'm having is that I don't know if unavailable measurements are because there are no such sensors in my car (oil pressure, oil temp) or because Torque Pro does not have those specific PIDs for the Mazda.

Another possibility is that your reader may not be 100% compatible with the car. The first one I bought wouldn't read anything. Might have been defective. The next one I bought worked fine, but the software was such a pain that I lost interest. I'll use it if I need to check something specific. Otherwise, it's not worth it to me just for curiosity's sake.

Another possibility is that your reader may not be 100% compatible with the car. The first one I bought wouldn't read anything. Might have been defective. The next one I bought worked fine, but the software was such a pain that I lost interest. I'll use it if I need to check something specific. Otherwise, it's not worth it to me just for curiosity's sake.

The website lists Mazda as a compatible vehicle, FWIW. At $50, it better work...I intentionally did not go low-end (a rarity for me).

On recommendation of Kedis82ZE8, I downloaded the software from the reader manufacturer (OBDLink). It has way fewer PIDS that TorquePro (a standard SAE set, according to the app), but offers manufacturer-specific (not model-specific) downloads for $10. They have builds for Mazda model years up to 2018. According to a July 18th post I just read on their forum, they are waiting to get the 2019 data from Mazda so they can develop/deploy the current set. I'll drop the $10 to see what that gets me.

Keep in mind that I'm using the generic SUV PIDs in TorquePro, so who knows what makes it think it's looking at a Transmission Temp sensor. Maybe it just sees a Temp Sensor. As I listed in that prior post, there is no Mazda-specific dataset in TorquePro. But since you can build your own PIDs to use in everyone's software, it begs the question: can I copy PIDs from one app to the other, so that I can have the slick TorquePro front-end driven by PIDs from different apps? I would think I could.

I mentioned before that I'd like to extend the gauges I have as I'm driving...I bought a 7" tablet specifically for the set-up. But now that I realize there is no oil pressure sending unit, I'm less motivated to mess with it. The only related gauge that might interest me is Engine Oil Temperature...if there's even a sensor for it.

I'm willing to try different software packages to see what works, but the other challenge is these daggone tablets are limited in storage, and I cannot store apps on the 64gb SD card I installed in mine (apparently this is a common problem on Android O/S tablets).

There certainly is engine oil temperature sensor. As well as tranny temp sensor, rear diff temp sensor in AWD vehicles. Haven't looked for oil pressure, so not sure.
I know, because I read them and more through Forscan.

There certainly is engine oil temperature sensor. As well as tranny temp sensor, rear diff temp sensor in AWD vehicles. Haven't looked for oil pressure, so not sure.
I know, because I read them and more through Forscan.

Maybe I need to download Forscan and try to port some of the PIDs over to TorquePro...or just use Forscan.

Back