First maintenance service

:
2018 CX-5 Touring AWD
I bought my CX5 on January 3rd. My first maintenance check-up is supposed to happen by the first 5,000 miles or the first 6 months, whichever happens first. Well, six months happened first. At the 6-month mark, my car only has about 4,100 miles. These service check-ups are not covered in my contract which means I have to find my own mechanic/auto shop or bring it to the dealer. I'd rather find a shop in my city, San Francisco, than bring it to the dealer which is outside the city.

I am not car savvy at all.

How do I find a place to bring my car in, or if someone lives and San Francisco and can recommend a shop I would appreciate that.

I am planning a road trip to Las Vegas, but I want to have this check up done before I go.

Thank you all in advance.

Your first service is only an oil change. Don't stress over this. It's a very easy car to change the oil on. I would just avoid those quick change spots but otherwise any garage should be more then capable. Save the receipt.

If you go to an independent garage, make sure they know to use synthetic or synthetic blend oil.

Nice, only 4100 miles, guessing your commute is not that far. I bought mine almost the same time as yours and its nearing 8000 miles X_X.

Like what others stated, just an oil change, nothing more. My first maintenance was at the dealer because it was free. Stay away from those oil change that states 10-15 mins oil change or other quick oil change shop. They don't do good job. Keep the record if not done at the dealer for warranty purpose.

I'm at 3 months and only 1,000 miles. Should I do mine at 6 months? I clearly won't be at 5,000 miles and my first service is free.

It's only a oil change, you can wait or pay out of pocket. Find some coupons for the dealer, probably cost you $30.00.
You could actually go closer to 7,000 before an oil change.

At 5k miles/6 months, all you need is an oil change.

I will echo what others say in that I would avoid the quick lube places. For one, I wouldn't trust that they are using quality oil and the correct type of oil filter for Skyactiv.

Dealerships usually have coupons if you just want the dealer to do it. Frankly around here, dealer has been the cheapest for full synthetic changes. Plus they usually have the coupons. But some dealers are slow as hell. I waited for 2 1/2 hours at one for an oil change once. Never went back there. Then tried another and they were about an hour both times.

I was not car savvy at all either, but 7eregrine is correct in saying the oil is super easy to change. I've done it twice now this year. You'll pay $60-$80 for a full synthetic oil change (not including any coupons) to have a place do it. Or to do it yourself, buy a Mazda oil filter (~$7), new washer for the drain plug ($1), and a 5 qt. jug of quality 0w20 oil from Walmart($19-$28), and spend about $30-$40 and an hour of your time (and of course initial cost investment into the proper tools/supplies needed).

Last edited:
I always had good luck at Marin Mazda when I was in the San Francisco area.

Have you inspected the oil level or the oil color / condition yet?

I was pretty shocked when dealer wanted just $50 for an oil change. For that price I do mine there (while under warranty only).

First oil change is around 6-7 k miles. The factory oil has benefits and keep it for 2000 more miles.
If you go for mazda moly its 60-70 if you do it on your own. Dealer in my area charges 90 bucks.
Mazda dealer will not use moly by default. They may do synthetic for 60-70. Moly should last 7-12k miles.
My schedule was 6.5k then 12k then 20k. I will keep an 8000 mile cycle its very conservative and is about 11 months of driving for me.

I was pretty shocked when dealer wanted just $50 for an oil change. For that price I do mine there (while under warranty only).

Yeah. Dealers around here have been $59.99 - $67.99 for an oil change. Considering the quick lube type places want $79.99, and dealers usually have coupons available, if you don't want to do the changes yourself, dealer is probably the way to go. Just make sure it is a quality service dept.

I buy a 5Q jug of PP at Walmart for ~ 27.95 + an OEM or Ultra filter for ~ $9. My do-it-myself oil change cost me ~ $36.95 + tax. The advantage to me is not just the $13 saved but, it give me a chance to do a thorough inspection and I know the job get done correctly. Ed

I buy a 5Q jug of PP at Walmart for ~ 27.95 + an OEM or Ultra filter for ~ $9. My do-it-myself oil change cost me ~ $36.95 + tax. The advantage to me is not just the $13 saved but, it give me a chance to do a thorough inspection and I know the job get done correctly. Ed

Agreed. That's why I started doing them myself too.

Seriously, I was not at all car savvy, but it was super easy.

$50 would be considered cheap around here. My Mazda dealer offers a special at $89 for a oil change.

It could be that local regulations are making it more expensive in my area. Disposal fees and such.

DIY is super easy on these vehicles. I would do that and then you know exactly what is in the crankcase and that the job is done well.

I'm at 3 months and only 1,000 miles. Should I do mine at 6 months? I clearly won't be at 5,000 miles and my first service is free.

Check your service, my free (?!) service cost me the screws that hold in the plastic cover by the oil filter because the service tech left them off to speed up the next oil service!

That, and it takes less time than driving to and waiting at the dealer, no need for an appointment, can do it on the weekend when I don't have to miss work.

Firstly, go to your "Vehicle Status Monitor" under Applications in your infotainment screen and select "Maintenance to display the maintenance list. Check if you have "Flexible" setting under "Oil Change" which is supposed to be the default from factory. You can use the miles left on your oil life as a guideline for your first oil change. Follow the "Flexible" oil change interval which is up to 7,500 miles (10,000 miles for 2016(.5) CX-5) or 12 months whichever comes first. You can take your CX-5 in based on "Oil chang due" message with a wrench indicator from your "Flexible" oil change monitor, or do it early before the message displayed as your like. I'd keep the moly-rich factory oil in there for at least 5,000 miles within a year and do the first oil change.

Make sure to reset your "Flexible" oil change monitor with ignition on without engine running. Most Mazda dealers won't do this for you as many don't even aware this feature. If you see 7,500-mile oil life, it's been reset!

Be aware those "free" oil change offered by dealers. They'll use the cheapest bulk oil they can find. So do ask and see if you can have better options such as Mazda 0W-20 moly oil which is only $10 more from my Mazda dealer for oil change. The only goog thing doing the oil change at dealers is they "normally" would use OEM oil filter with new drain plug washer.

First oil change is around 6-7 k miles. The factory oil has benefits and keep it for 2000 more miles.
If you go for mazda moly its 60-70 if you do it on your own. Dealer in my area charges 90 bucks.
Mazda dealer will not use moly by default. They may do synthetic for 60-70. Moly should last 7-12k miles.
My schedule was 6.5k then 12k then 20k. I will keep an 8000 mile cycle its very conservative and is about 11 months of driving for me.
Although I DIY with Mazda moly oil, but my dealer Town North Mazda charges $65 for oil change with Castrol, $10 more with Mazda moly without coupon.

Back