Need maintenance?

Just an add on here - I knew there was something going on with a belt somewhere. I mentioned a squeaking noise to the dealer when I took it in for service. I even emphasized that I wanted all the belts inspected and changed if needed. They assured me when I picked it up that everything was great and nothing needed to be replaced. Even the "report card" I got from them shows all the boxes checked in the green. I sent a lengthy email to the manager of the dealership and we shall see what happens.

I think so - believe it is called the drive belt though they also called it the serpentine belt.

Ah...serpentine belt, yes. That is what I just had replaced at 69k miles. Belt looked ok, but just went ahead and had it replaced while they were replacing the tensioner. Might as well.

Just an add on here - I knew there was something going on with a belt somewhere. I mentioned a squeaking noise to the dealer when I took it in for service. I even emphasized that I wanted all the belts inspected and changed if needed. They assured me when I picked it up that everything was great and nothing needed to be replaced. Even the "report card" I got from them shows all the boxes checked in the green. I sent a lengthy email to the manager of the dealership and we shall see what happens.

If that's the Mazda full circle inspection, it does make me wonder if they actually check everything that they mark as green. (scratch)

Of course they do. They want to find stuff to fix for you.

I think so - believe it is called the drive belt though they also called it the serpentine belt.
Actually there're 2 belts. The longer one is the surpentine belt, p/n PY0115909A, which drives alternater and AC compressor. The other drive belt is the water pump belt, p/n PY0115908. Not sure if the Mazda dealer changed just long surpentine belt or both. Check your invoice to verify. If water pump belt didn't get changed, make sure to change it soon.

Of course they do. They want to find stuff to fix for you.

Yeah, I mean that's true.

But I've wondered if checking some stuff is more involved then what they'd b able to do during a 1 hour oil change. I don't know.

Actually there're 2 belts. The longer one is the surpentine belt, p/n PY0115909A, which drives alternater and AC compressor. The other drive belt is the water pump belt, p/n PY0115908. Not sure if the Mazda dealer changed just long surpentine belt or both. Check your invoice to verify. If water pump belt didn't get changed, make sure to change it soon.

Thank you! It was the longer one they changed (air conditioner stopped working when it went). I will get the other one changed as well. Should that be around the same cost or is it easier to change?

Thank you! It was the longer one they changed (air conditioner stopped working when it went). I will get the other one changed as well. Should that be around the same cost or is it easier to change?
The price on parts:

P/N: PE0315980B - SERPENTINE TENSIONER CX-5 - MSRP $136.03
P/N: PY0115908 - WATER PUMP BELT CX-5; 2.5L - MSRP $17.65

The labor cost will be the same as replacing the longer serpentine belt as water pump drive belt is at inner side of serpentine belt. You basically have to pay a duplicated labor.

Im puzzled as the second Mazda dealer charged you only $140 replacing the serpentine belt which is the price for parts only. On the other hand, they should replace the water pump belt at the same time while theyre replacing your serpentine belt for one labor cost although it was free.

The price on parts:

P/N: PE0315980B - SERPENTINE TENSIONER CX-5 - MSRP $136.03

The labor cost will be the same as replacing the longer serpentine belt as water pump drive belt is at inner side of serpentine belt. You basically have to pay a duplicated labor.

I*m puzzled as the second Mazda dealer charged you only $140 replacing the serpentine belt which is the price for parts only. On the other hand, they should replace the water pump belt at the same time while they*re replacing your serpentine belt for one labor cost although it was free.

Huh? Looks like you linked the tensioner, not the belt. Or am I misunderstanding?

Huh? Looks like you linked the tensioner, not the belt. Or am I misunderstanding?
Sorry, my bad!

P/N: PY0115909A SERPENTINE BELT CX-5; 2.5L - MSRP $36.40

So $140 charge makes sense now. OP, check your invoice to verify if the second Mazda dealer had replaced both belts. Its really strange the dealer only replaced one serpentine belt when they can easily to replace the second water pump belt while theyre there.

$140 charge for a dealer to change the belt? That's actually cheap!! Unless they gave OP a discount which she deserved.

Then again Mazda's engine/ engine bay design allows for seamless change compared to other cars. You merely need to access behind the front right wheel well. Since dealers have a lift its even easier for them.

I agree the price isn*t bad from a stealership as they probably showed her some sympathy as they should, however, if they didn*t change or at least recommend changing both belts, they still did a half ass job.

have you tried to figure out who is the very best independent shop in your area?

Inspections are important (not that the dealer really does them...) - critical fasteners need to have the torque checked; and you need to look for any damage underneath, esp. for an SUV which is meant to be used on gravel & dirt roads (e.g. what if a flying rock hit the side of a brake hose and cut it just enough to fail early...)

So just keeping up with my thread here :) Just had to have the front sway bar/links replaced. I travel the same road back and forth every day for work (104 miles each day). I am in New Jersey, which means the roads are garbage although they are always doing construction on them. Otherwise, everything is running well. We are are 195,000 miles and counting. I have continued to go to the dealer and have no had any issues with them.

Back