Need maintenance?

Yeah, on our Toyota Sienna mini-van, the water pump was something everyone recommended changing when the timing chain was replaced at 100K miles (part of normal service). The logic was that the water pump generally failed at 120K miles and you actually had to remove the timing chain to replace it. That was a $3500 service at the dealership.
This's not true. If you have 2006 or prior Toyota Sienna the V6 uses timing belt and the water pump replacement would involve timing belt and there's a routine replacement schedule on timing belt. But 2007 and newer Sienna the 3.5L V6 uses timing chain. The chain is an internal lubricated part that does not need to be replaced unless it fails which is not common. With timing chain the water pump is driven by an external drive belt and it's also external. So there is no need to access the chain area. My brother had a 2008 Seinna having original water pump until 150K miles when he totaled the van.

Even if the water pump fails on Sienna, the dealer cost is $600 at the most for watef pump replacement. For 1st-gen CX-9 V6 with timing chain replacing water pump is a totally different story though.

Exactly. Why would you replace a water pump randomly that isn't leaking? Finally we agree on something.

I understand changing it if another service provides access to it that would otherwise necessitate another tear down, but that isn't the situation with the CX5.
Agreed. There's no need to replace water pump on CX-5 as a preventive maintenance item. Water pump in CX-5 is driven by external serpentine belt belt and it's easy to access and replace.

Routine replacement on water pump was started with routine timing belt replacement as it makes sense to replace them together to save duplicated labor cost. Not on CX-5.

How long you plan on owning your CX-5?

I want mine to go to at least 250k-300k miles like my last vehicle.

It’s my girls car,she loves it,and she kept her last car 15 years. No plans to buy her a new one,but she pays her own bills. :)

We are different about cars,though. Obviously,I’ve been a huge supporter of a 2.5T version,but we won’t be trading in for one if it comes now,and she won’t let me transplant one into it ever,either. Lol So, this CX-5 is a staple in this stable for years to come as long as it stays trouble free...I do plan to sneak a tune on it when the warranty runs out though,so we shall see...haha

Last edited:
Laura,

Follow the owner's manual, *only*. For 150k miles repeat the 30k service (60 + 60 +30) and do all of the other things you didn't do on the way to 165k, like spark plugs and coolant flush and replacement. It includes a LOT of inspections. You might expect the inspections to indicate you need things like a new accessory belt or brake pads.

I am a believer in replacing brake fluid about every 5 years to remove water and wear particles, time instead of miles. But, it is not required in the manual.

If your driving style matches Schedule 1, change the rear differential and transfer case oils.

At least have your transmission fluid level checked and topped off, if that hasn't been done in the last year.

You can print this schedule and mark the things you want dooooe....
View attachment 219446

Last edited:
Do not touch the transmission at this point. Simply just mark that off your list.

Do change:
-spark plugs
-brake fluid if not changed

-belts
-hoses
-coolant
-water pump

To save money i'd do belts/hoses/coolant/water pump all in one shot. Check for competing Mazda dealership coupons or negotiate pricing. Bundle to save money.

Agree on the coolant system "rebuild". Since the coolant is supposed to be changed at 120,000 miles, and it's not cheap, then the hoses and water pump would be on my list. Water pumps typically might last up to 100k miles. If this vehicle had a timing belt with the water pump behind it, you can bet the service interval might be 60 to 90k miles. Once they start leaking through the weep hole, they're useless. Then you'd have to buy more of that golden coolant..
I

Agree on the coolant system "rebuild". Since the coolant is supposed to be changed at 120,000 miles, and it's not cheap, then the hoses and water pump would be on my list. Water pumps typically might last up to 100k miles. If this vehicle had a timing belt with the water pump behind it, you can bet the service interval might be 60 to 90k miles. Once they start leaking through the weep hole, they're useless. Then you'd have to buy more of that golden coolant..
I

I can't agree with that. FL-22 is not that expensive. My MX-5 has 121k on it. I replaced all of its coolant hoses at 10 years and about 105k. They looked pretty much new. I prolly wasted $75 in hoses + labor. But I consoled myself with, "they're 10 years old!"

Preventive maintenance, yes. Maintenance for "just in case", no.

Where are you getting this from? I've been searching for info on the Mazda fluid and information is scarce. Saw one oil analysis on this forum and it was done at 50k miles.

I said it backwards, 300k on a cx5 is equal to 100k on conventional transmission. Multiple trans fluid UOAs.

I said it backwards, 300k on a cx5 is equal to 100k on conventional transmission. Multiple trans fluid UOAs.

Now you got me curious. Are these UOAs you have had done or something you saw somewhere else?

I heard 75k+. Seems everyone has a different number.

Being that I've heard up to 90k I guess 75 isn't bad. Then again we don't have much info on skyactiv trannies long term.

Toss any number out there you wanna,I’m definitely not changing mine at all,unless the tranny takes a dump,of course.

My stance is that until I start seeing oh say 10 people on this forum with 200k miles on original tranny fluid with zero issues.....I'll do drain and fills every 40k miles or so. That said for both you guys..........the outlook is getting better for the above to be the case!! If we can get more 200k people reporting in then hey one less thing to worry about.

Coming from BMWs (with lifetime fluids lol) I proceed with caution though.

Being that I've heard up to 90k I guess 75 isn't bad. Then again we don't have much info on skyactiv trannies long term.

My stance is that until I start seeing oh say 10 people on this forum with 200k miles on original tranny fluid with zero issues.....I'll do drain and fills every 40k miles or so. That said for both you guys..........the outlook is getting better for the above to be the case!! If we can get more 200k people reporting in then hey one less thing to worry about.

Coming from BMWs (with lifetime fluids lol) I proceed with caution though.
Agreed.

The same on VW. Its so-called OEM life-time ATF has the shelf-life of only 2 years!

At least its not hurting anything to do the drain-and-fill once for every 50K~70K miles. SkyActiv-Drive is a conventional automatic transmission with some unique features. Mazdas FZ ATF cant be so unique which would outlast every other life-time ATF. In fact my Mazda dealer suggests ATF drain-and-fill all the time, even on friends 2009 Mazda6 with factory fluid for almost 100K miles!

Agreed.

The same on VW. Its so-called OEM “life-time” ATF has the shelf-life of only 2 years!

At least it’s not hurting anything to do the drain-and-fill once for every 50K~70K miles. SkyActiv-Drive is a conventional automatic transmission with some unique features. Mazda’s FZ ATF can’t be so unique which would outlast every other “life-time” ATF. In fact my Mazda dealer suggests ATF drain-and-fill all the time, even on friend’s 2009 Mazda6 with factory fluid for almost 100K miles!

Last I heard regarding VW's DSG's...if you don't get them serviced then warranty is voided. Ouch.

Last time I went to pick up some Transmission Fluid, the parts guy at the dealership advised he drain/fills his skyactiv Mazda. Agreed. The Skyactiv transmission is a good one...although still very much a good conventional transmission.

For in-depth details why (also why not as explained beginning at 5:40 mark) to change tranny fluid I always refer folks to this vid.

Last edited:
Very interesting. Never realized how many groove and channels there are for fluid to flow in a tranny. That's some high end engineering.

Very interesting. Never realized how many groove and channels there are for fluid to flow in a tranny. That's some high end engineering.

Yep. A veritable rats warren in that valve body for any rtv or stray grit to get into when the seal is cracked...

Back