Need maintenance?

Right....My frame of thought is change it at 120k (What I will actually look into doing myself sometime next year). If I do replace the water pump the intent is to avoid more costly repair. Cheaper to replace than after it fails sort of thing.

I'm going to DIY or have a reputable mechanic do it. It does not appear to be a difficult project. You can then change the belts all in one shot too saving time/money.

E46 BMWs and other models were notorious for crappy water pumps. They would fail well within the warranty period but leaving some people stranded. Kudos for Mazda as I have not heard of 1 report anywhere of a failed water pump in a skyactiv engine car.

Those sound like good arguments to NOT replace it:
-easy job [implies inexpensive]
-no evidence that they fail early

Why would it be "cheaper to replace than after it fails"? Unless you need a tow and don't have towing coverage, of course.

And that's fine if it's a known issue. I had a 99 Saab 9-3 notorious for the serpentine belt snapping at 40k so we always recommended changing it at 35. TMK, CX-5 water pumps aren't prone to failure.

Think I figured out why the dealership never recommended changing the transmission fluid ... saw this on the Mazda website:

All Mazda vehicles equipped with SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY* have lifetime transmission fluid that only needs to be changed when a major transmission component or the entire transmission needs replacement.

Think I figured out why the dealership never recommended changing the transmission fluid ... saw this on the Mazda website:

All Mazda vehicles equipped with SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY* have lifetime transmission fluid that only needs to be changed when a major transmission component or the entire transmission needs replacement.

Then you'll be amused by all of the arguments around here regarding that exact subject!

Heh, one reason why you may need to replace a major component or entire transmission is a lack of fluid changes...

Look at the fluid itself. If it is dark or burnt, it needs replacing. Most cars will have this at some point, "lifetime" or not.

This shows Mazda's confidence in their transmissions.
That they WILL need replacing and when that happens get new fluid.**

Applicable to folks wanting to drive way beyond 150-200k miles.

I'm at 68.5k miles on mine now, and I'm still confused as hell about what to do with the transmission fluid.

Dealership claims they have a way to flush it out, but I've always heard flushing is not a good idea. But on the other hand you can't just drop the pan and change it all that way either since that takes several times to get all the fluid. So, no idea really...

DO:

Spark plugs
Brake fluid
Coolant (if recommended)
Diff fluid
Cabin Filter (if due/if equipped)

Inspect:

All hoses/belts
Brake pad material remaining

DO NOT DO:

Transmission fluid/filter unless you've been doing this regularly
Stupid things like replacing lug-nuts or brake calipers that are working just fine (I actually saw a Firestone try to get a guy to change his calipers because he had 200K miles on the vehicle. They were working fine, not seized, not leaking).

I'm at 68.5k miles on mine now, and I'm still confused as hell about what to do with the transmission fluid.

Dealership claims they have a way to flush it out, but I've always heard flushing is not a good idea. But on the other hand you can't just drop the pan and change it all that way either since that takes several times to get all the fluid. So, no idea really...

They are lying. You cannot flush a SkyActiv. If they don't know that, they don't deserve to "learn" with YOURS.

This shows Mazda's confidence in their transmissions.
That they WILL need replacing and when that happens get new fluid.**

Applicable to folks wanting to drive way beyond 150-200k miles.

My Dad's van has gone nearly half a million miles on OEM fluid in the trans without issue. My Grandpa's Toyota Avalon has 367K on it now, doing just fine, although he did have the fluid changed at 200K "because". It lived, thankfully, and is still doing well, much to my surprise, but there it is. I currently have 88K miles on my CX5, OEM fluid, doing fine.

And that's fine if it's a known issue. I had a 99 Saab 9-3 notorious for the serpentine belt snapping at 40k so we always recommended changing it at 35. TMK, CX-5 water pumps aren't prone to failure.

Exactly. Why would you replace a water pump randomly that isn't leaking? Finally we agree on something.

I understand changing it if another service provides access to it that would otherwise necessitate another tear down, but that isn't the situation with the CX5.

Why do the water pump proactively?

I'm like you, LauraLee. Keep it lubed and inspected, pay attention to how it drives, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Most here will probably disagree.

At your mileage, however, I would flush the coolant and brake fluid, and change the plugs. The hoses and belts couldn't hurt, but if they look good, I wouldn't bother.

None of the maintenance items can hurt, they just cost money. And if it's unnecessary, that can hurt, depending on your financial situation.

Proactive or reactive... it depends on your tolerance for risk of breakdown.

The only proactive thing I'd replace that isn't broken would be a belt that powered the cooling/water pump. That can be a real show-stopper, and I bet it's a PITA to change in the dark at 0130 on the side of the road in 5* weather using your cell-phone as a flashlight and whatever tools you had with you.

Completely agree. Found some other threads, may just do a couple drain and fills. I don't know...

Base on the UOA's, 100K miles in a CX5 is equivalent to 300K miles or so on a conventional transmission's fluid. I don't know anyone who would say, regarding a normal transmission "IF you don't change the fluid, it will die before 100K miles". So I am content to let it lay. If my vehicle is still alive in 300K miles, noone has hit it, etc. then I may lament my decision, but I can't argue it owed me anything at that point ,either. Also, we all seem to agree that if you DO change it, every 75K miles is a maximum interval, and that's 4x fluid changes. Consider that I had the transmission in my Infiniti changed out for $1250, parts and labor, and it begins to become very suspect if I'm looking at saving money, or not...(dealer cost on the Infiniti was $4500, got it used and installed at a local shop. On a vehicle 10+ years old...that's how I'd do it again). With as popular as the CX5 has been, I doubt it would be an issue at all finding a low-mile totaled vehicle's trans that would fit mine.

Base on the UOA's, 100K miles in a CX5 is equivalent to 300K miles or so on a conventional transmission's fluid. I don't know anyone who would say, regarding a normal transmission "IF you don't change the fluid, it will die before 100K miles". So I am content to let it lay. If my vehicle is still alive in 300K miles, noone has hit it, etc. then I may lament my decision, but I can't argue it owed me anything at that point ,either. Also, we all seem to agree that if you DO change it, every 75K miles is a maximum interval, and that's 4x fluid changes. Consider that I had the transmission in my Infiniti changed out for $1250, parts and labor, and it begins to become very suspect if I'm looking at saving money, or not...(dealer cost on the Infiniti was $4500, got it used and installed at a local shop. On a vehicle 10+ years old...that's how I'd do it again). With as popular as the CX5 has been, I doubt it would be an issue at all finding a low-mile totaled vehicle's trans that would fit mine.
Where are you getting this from? I've been searching for info on the Mazda fluid and information is scarce. Saw one oil analysis on this forum and it was done at 50k miles.

Anything past 60k miles and you have not changed tranny fluid previously = do not touch. The wear of metals is now a vital part of the fluid itself.

Just enjoy your CX-5 and don;t sleep over the tranny fluid at this point.

Anything past 60k miles and you have not changed tranny fluid previously = do not touch. The wear of metals is now a vital part of the fluid itself.

Just enjoy your CX-5 and don;t sleep over the tranny fluid at this point.
I heard 75k+. Seems everyone has a different number.

Toss any number out there you wanna,I’m definitely not changing mine at all,unless the tranny takes a dump,of course.
How long you plan on owning your CX-5?

I want mine to go to at least 250k-300k miles like my last vehicle.

Back