Need maintenance?

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
Hi all - first time poster here. I have a 2013 CX-5 Touring with 165,000 miles on it. Never had an issue with the car other than tires and brakes. I bought the car new and have only done full synthetic oil changes and all have been done at the dealer. I am not car savvy and have a great fear of being ripped off lol!

I want to have the car looked over at the dealership as the miles are getting up there and for their 150,000 service it is approximately $600.00. They went over the services and it seemed like a lot of it was "inspecting" this and that and not really doing much.

I was wondering if there are specific things that need to changed/checked on at this point. I don't want to go into the dealership and just take their word for what I need. I have done a little research but basically have gotten the impression of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Any help or guidance in where to look would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Do not touch the transmission at this point. Simply just mark that off your list.

Do change:
-spark plugs
-brake fluid if not changed

-belts
-hoses
-coolant
-water pump

To save money i'd do belts/hoses/coolant/water pump all in one shot. Check for competing Mazda dealership coupons or negotiate pricing. Bundle to save money.

My list:
Must-do:
Spark plugs
transfercase fluid (if AWD)
transmission fluid ... (might be too late if it was never replaced... leave it as it is)

Optional:
coolant flush
brake fluid replacement

Full circle inspection is free at Mazda dealer.
You should not pay for it.
Also, please arm yourself with coupon. Easily you can find 10-20% off coupon .
If not, go to MazdaUSA.com and register as an owner under MyMazda, and you can access many coupons from your dealer of choice.

You've been going to your dealer for every oil change since 2013...and NOW you don't trust them? If they e been trustworthy up to this point, I'd give the benefit of the doubt here and let them service it.

You've been going to your dealer for every oil change since 2013...and NOW you don't trust them? If they e been trustworthy up to this point, I'd give the benefit of the doubt here and let them service it.

She doesnt trust them to do something she doesnt need,I.e. trans fluid,brake fluid,and gawd knows what else.

She wants peace of mind and I cant blame her,the dealerships recommended services are highly overpriced and loaded with unneeded items that should be optional. Not to mention,with a car at 165k miles,no telling what they could try and recommend and such...

It’s about time for the parts dept guy from the dealership to show up and say your brakes need inspected and lubed for a charge of $400 (true Mazda stealership story). Oh,and that live doubles the life of your brakes,to Hell with new ones that cost less...

She doesn’t trust them to do something she doesn’t need,I.e. trans fluid,brake fluid,and gawd knows what else.

She wants peace of mind and I can’t blame her,the dealerships recommended services are highly overpriced and loaded with unneeded items that should be optional. Not to mention,with a car at 165k miles,no telling what they could try and recommend and such...
She's been to the dealer at the very least 20 times. If they were the type of dealer that tries to get you to replace s*** she don't need, they'd have shown those true colors by now.
"Never had an issue"
Brakes and tires in 165k. Doesn't sound like a dealer that takes advantage.

Last edited:
She's been to the dealer at the very least 20 times. If they were the type of dealer that tries to get you to replace s*** she don't need, they'd have shown those true colors by now.
"Never had an issue"
Brakes and tires in 165k. Doesn't sound like a dealer that takes advantage.

Yeah, at the same time, I would ask why the dealer did not ask about any of the routine maintenance? On the other hand, if I had ignored the routine maintenance of the my car, I would not want to know about anything 165K miles later!

Hi all - first time poster here. I have a 2013 CX-5 Touring with 165,000 miles on it. Never had an issue with the car other than tires and brakes. I bought the car new and have only done full synthetic oil changes and all have been done at the dealer. I am not car savvy and have a great fear of being ripped off lol!

I want to have the car looked over at the dealership as the miles are getting up there and for their 150,000 service it is approximately $600.00. They went over the services and it seemed like a lot of it was "inspecting" this and that and not really doing much.

I was wondering if there are specific things that need to changed/checked on at this point. I don't want to go into the dealership and just take their word for what I need. I have done a little research but basically have gotten the impression of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Any help or guidance in where to look would be appreciated!

Thank you.

What's on the list?

OP mentioned the dealership offered a 150,000 mile service for $600.

I say for $600 I would not opt for that service......but rather spend that $600 for stuff she really needs. C'mon guys, lets help her get to 200k miles and beyond.

Pretty sure you can get:

Coolant flushed - $130 est.
Sparks Plugs Changed - No idea how much dealership charges
Brake Fluid flushed - $100 with coupon at my dealership
Belts/Hoses changed - No idea
Fuel Filter - No idea

Have no idea how much water pump costs to change. A positive for Mazda, have never heard of a skyactiv water pump go bad.

I think we're done here until OP comes back. Need more info!

Thank you for everyone's responses! I have a pretty good relationship with the dealership and do trust them ... to a point. I have two service people that I am friendly with there but they are not there every time I go. My CX5 was purchased there and has the highest mileage out of CX5's they service. They have never really recommended service beyond the regular oil changes - at least nothing that they highly recommended or said needed be done. The oil changes have included rotating tires, checking belts and hoses, filters, etc. and a general inspection of everything. I also took it last December for a thorough checking over before driving from New Jersey to Miami and back.

This is my first Mazda although my sister has had a bunch of them and she just basically fixed them as stuff broke and didn't change the oil on a regular basis. She got almost 300,000 out of her Mazda van and only got rid of it because something broke and the whole area around the broken piece had rusted away. She went and bought the same van with lower mileage to replace it lol!

So at this point, I have on the list:

Spark plugs
Brake Fluid
Belts/Hoses
Coolant
Fuel Filter
Water pump

The general consensus is not to touch anything to do with the transmission correct? I called the dealership - my transmission fluid has never been changed. I am assuming by the comments that I should just leave it alone. I did have the brake fluid flushed and replaced at some point.

Thanks again everyone. I am trying to get as much mileage out of my CX5 as I can and since I am not a "car" person, and some of the research and differing opinions gets confusing, I appreciate the help from fellow Mazda owners.

Last edited:
^^
Transmission Fluid- Simply put do not touch. Regardless of what anyone tells you. You're at 165k so changing fluid now will make it fail.

Spark plugs- Mazda recommends changing at 75k. You got you money's worth. Change them.
Brake Fluid- I would change no more than every 50k miles or so.
Belts/Hoses- Would hate for a belt to snap leaving you stranded. I would change at 120k miles.
Coolant- Mazda recommends changing at 100k miles.
Fuel Filter- I cannot provide info....but surely it has a lifespan.
Water pump- again cannot provide info...should be changed at some point.

I've never seen "water pump" as a recommended replacement item.

Why do the water pump proactively?

I'm like you, LauraLee. Keep it lubed and inspected, pay attention to how it drives, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Most here will probably disagree.

At your mileage, however, I would flush the coolant and brake fluid, and change the plugs. The hoses and belts couldn't hurt, but if they look good, I wouldn't bother.

None of the maintenance items can hurt, they just cost money. And if it's unnecessary, that can hurt, depending on your financial situation.

Proactive or reactive... it depends on your tolerance for risk of breakdown.

I've never seen "water pump" as a recommended replacement item.

Yeah, on our Toyota Sienna mini-van, the water pump was something everyone recommended changing when the timing chain was replaced at 100K miles (part of normal service). The logic was that the water pump generally failed at 120K miles and you actually had to remove the timing chain to replace it. That was a $3500 service at the dealership.

Yeah, on our Toyota Sienna mini-van, the water pump was something everyone recommended changing when the timing chain was replaced at 100K miles (part of normal service). The logic was that the water pump generally failed at 120K miles and you actually had to remove the timing chain to replace it. That was a $3500 service at the dealership.

That makes perfect sense. But is it similar situation for the CX-5?

Right....My frame of thought is change it at 120k (What I will actually look into doing myself sometime next year). If I do replace the water pump the intent is to avoid more costly repair. Cheaper to replace than after it fails sort of thing.

I'm going to DIY or have a reputable mechanic do it. It does not appear to be a difficult project. You can then change the belts all in one shot too saving time/money.

E46 BMWs and other models were notorious for crappy water pumps. They would fail well within the warranty period but leaving some people stranded. Kudos for Mazda as I have not heard of 1 report anywhere of a failed water pump in a skyactiv engine car.

Back