2017~2024 Brake squeal under moderately hard braking and while maneuvering around inclines

nikpmd

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD
Hey guys,

I recently leased a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD and have about 75 miles on the odometer. The vehicle had run 4 miles at the time of delivery and I didn't go on a test drive of the particular car before taking delivery (forgot somehow).The brakes squeal under moderately hard braking. If I apply the brake early, softly and smoothly, there is no squeal but during enthusiastic driving, I do tend to brake late and the brakes start to squeal when almost coming to a stop (and I can feel the ABS engaging aggressively at this time). Overall, when the ABS engages, it is not a smooth/pleasant stop.

The brakes also squeal when I'm braking and turning, braking on graded roads and ramps. (I drive in Seattle, so lot of streets are like this. Getting in and out of my parking lot is nothing short of a roller coaster ride with mid drop stops and six 90 degree turns on inclined ramps, before parking in an extremely tight spot).

What could be up with the brakes? Have other people observed this? What are my options?

I used to drive a BMW 335, so I may have enthusiastic driving habits. Do I need to change my braking patterns?

Do I need to change my braking patterns?

Maybe if you want your pads to last!
I've never heard it, but I never cause ABS to kick in except on snow and ice.
My understanding is that you should brake moderately in a new car until the pads are well seated.

Maybe if you want your pads to last!
I've never heard it, but I never cause ABS to kick in except on snow and ice.
My understanding is that you should brake moderately in a new car until the pads are well seated.

Thanks. Ill brake moderately going forward in normal driving conditions, but what about when Im doing slow speed maneuvering inside parking lots or inclined surfaces. After coming to a stop, I observe the sound when I release the brakes and try to move forward, especially on inclined ascents and descents. Anyone faced this problem?

Also, if I had to drive sedately, I wouldve gone with a different CUV. What nudged me towards the Mazda CX-5 is the styling and a number of automotive magazines and reviewers suggesting that its the enthusiasts CUV. Im quite taken with the enjoyable drivability of the car but Im a little disappointed with the braking ability. Again, I realize it is a new car but I did not experience this with any of my previous cars (not CUVs). So, Im a little concerned.

Physically (with fingers) are the rotors smooth or are are they Grooved?
What color are the rotor's surface? Shiny is glazed with a tint of brown?

The CX-5's braking distances are not the shortest in the class, and the pedal is way too soft for my liking, so you may be disappointed in those respects.

I was just suggesting that you may have already caused the noises by aggressive braking with a new car. Since the car is new, and if the brakes fail the tests mentioned by CX-5um, you may be eligible for some potential warranty work.

Physically (with fingers) are the rotors smooth or are are they Grooved?
What color are the rotor's surface? Shiny is glazed with a tint of brown?
The rotors are smooth to touch and the surface is shiny. Just checked and went around the block. Normal braking from < 20 mph is resulting in the same noise even under moderate pressure.

Try braking from 60 to zero 6 or seven times in a row to try and bed the rotors and pads. Do this somewhere safe.

If they are still squeaking take it to the dealer to make sure pads are installed properly.

As for your ABS kicking in, get better tires which have more grip.
Hey guys,

I recently leased a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD and have about 75 miles on the odometer. The vehicle had run 4 miles at the time of delivery and I didn't go on a test drive of the particular car before taking delivery (forgot somehow).The brakes squeal under moderately hard braking. If I apply the brake early, softly and smoothly, there is no squeal but during enthusiastic driving, I do tend to brake late and the brakes start to squeal when almost coming to a stop (and I can feel the ABS engaging aggressively at this time). Overall, when the ABS engages, it is not a smooth/pleasant stop.

The brakes also squeal when I'm braking and turning, braking on graded roads and ramps. (I drive in Seattle, so lot of streets are like this. Getting in and out of my parking lot is nothing short of a roller coaster ride with mid drop stops and six 90 degree turns on inclined ramps, before parking in an extremely tight spot).

What could be up with the brakes? Have other people observed this? What are my options?

I used to drive a BMW 335, so I may have enthusiastic driving habits. Do I need to change my braking patterns?

The rotors are smooth to touch and the surface is shiny. Just checked and went around the block. Normal braking from < 20 mph is resulting in the same noise even under moderate pressure.

Okay you probably do not have brake deposits on the rotor. Might be some deposits on the pad itself though. Something the dealership can clean up.
That said, some people reported lubricating the caliper pins but mainly in snowy environments.

Given that the car if fairly new, why not take it back to the Mazda dealership to have them address your concern since it should still be under warranty?

No new car should have squealing brakes despite if you are driving aggressively.

Since it is a lease, better to get it checked out before there is a claim of excessive wear and tear.

Last edited:
Spoke to the Service Advisor over the phone. He said something to the order of the brakes are new and they only begin to set in around 2000 miles. Never had this problem in any previous car I owned and didnt notice this issue with the car I test drove. I dont see anyone else here facing this issue. The service advisor went on to claim that my previous VW and BMW among (VW Golf, Ford Focus and BMW 3) had ceramic components in the breaks (I have no idea what he was talking about) and that Mazda uses complete steel components which apparently perform better than ones with ceramic components. Im really skeptical about this now.

I then said that Im not convinced with the response and Id like it checked out. So scheduled the earliest appointment next week. Will try to put some more miles on the car this weekend.

Sorry if Im being a bit negative about this but I was hoping not to deal with such things early on. Anyway, Ill post an update.

Spoke to the Service Advisor over the phone. He said something to the order of the brakes are new and they only begin to set in around 2000 miles. Never had this problem in any previous car I owned and didnt notice this issue with the car I test drove. I dont see anyone else here facing this issue. The service advisor went on to claim that my previous VW and BMW among (VW Golf, Ford Focus and BMW 3) had ceramic components in the breaks (I have no idea what he was talking about) and that Mazda uses complete steel components which apparently perform better than ones with ceramic components. Im really skeptical about this now.

I then said that Im not convinced with the response and Id like it checked out. So scheduled the earliest appointment next week. Will try to put some more miles on the car this weekend.

Sorry if Im being a bit negative about this but I was hoping not to deal with such things early on. Anyway, Ill post an update.

Any updates?

My 2016 (19,XXX miles) makes a loud squeaking noise when applying the brakes at low speeds. Think, driving up to the drive thru window speed.

Conclusion

Any updates?

My 2016 (19,XXX miles) makes a loud squeaking noise when applying the brakes at low speeds. Think, driving up to the drive thru window speed.

I didn't get time to go and get it checked out. Meanwhile, I've gotten used to applying brakes early and gradually and the brake sound doesn't come on anymore. Also, I read that when the brake assist motor engages, there will be loud noise. So, I'm guessing that my braking patterns was kicking in the brake assist motor and resulting in the loud noise. I've realized this isn't a sports sedan like my earlier car and taking it easy. No matter how good the CX-5 feels to drive, can't cheat physics.

Here is the link in the brake assist section of the manual saying something to that order: http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/05050106.html

This is the break wear section which maybe relevant to you: http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/05050105.html

Back