Performance ater 3rd service - horrible.

MrDIY

:
Mazda CX 5
Was wandering if anybody experienced the same as what I am observing.

Model: CX5 2014
Engine: 2.5L
Millage: 17000km.

After going for its 3rd service, the performance is no longer the same.
I am finding that the engine is audibly laboring, especially when cold. As I leave home, I almost immediately climb a bridge. The engine appears to not want to shift to appropriate gear and a low tone (due to low RPM) is heard from the engine as it climbs the bridge.

I am finding that |I now more often, have to drive the gearbox, by releasing the accelerometer pedal, and then engaging it firmly to get a downshift. If I am driving aggressively up a hill, no problems. The car pulls nicely. If however I am taking it easily, I find the gearbox looks to gear up for fuel efficiency. If I then give gas, the response is simply horrible. I need to stomp on the pedal or release the pedal as already stated.

My thoughts are that some software upgrade has occurred that has changed engine mapping.
I noticed my settings like rear vehicle monitoring and stop/start was off. Also within first week, I tire pressure warning activated, something it had never done in the prior 3 years. I did question the dealer, but they could tell me nothing and suggested I bring the car back in. Thats a mission for me. So thought to ask here if anybody had similar experience.

I'd take it back. That's odd. ALso, how the hell does it only have like 10K miles? Was this a lemon someone returned after the flood or something that had a long life but was deadlined for most of it?

Sometimes after an software upgrade it takes a few miles driving for the car to go back to normal.....on any newer car.

Sometimes after an software upgrade it takes a few miles driving for the car to go back to normal.....on any newer car.

I've had entirely transplanted ECU's and they don't do all that mess or take that long. Something is wrong with the vehicle. Any kind of re-flash assumes a normal factory spec vehicle, and if it is having to be pushed that far outside of normal parameters to compensate for something that does not mesh with factory in the vehicle, then that something is a problem.

I've had entirely transplanted ECU's and they don't do all that mess or take that long. Something is wrong with the vehicle. Any kind of re-flash assumes a normal factory spec vehicle, and if it is having to be pushed that far outside of normal parameters to compensate for something that does not mesh with factory in the vehicle, then that something is a problem.

I think something was left disconnected. Ed

Perhaps it has something to do with the shop not performing a "drive cycle"....If one exists. I'm not sure if anyone every posted one for Skyactiv cars before.

Here's some examples of drive cycles:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123759295-Found-a-successful-Drive-Cycle-formula!
https://www.smogtips.com/smog-question/3003/Honda-Civic-Monitors-Not-Ready

what was done during the service?

Is it the same way when the car is cold and hot?
Did you say that if you put it in manual mode, it doesn't have this problem?

Thanx to those who took the time to respond.

What was done during service: I was told an oil change only.
Hot or cold, performance is similar. Manual mode .. no ... don't really drive manual mode as gear changes are to slow most of the time.

Only 10K miles. ... well yes .. bought new. Work from home. Got a Kia Picanto run around car for short trips. Use the CX5 mainly for transporting large items.
I dont think anything is wrong with the car. It just feels as if there was a shift in engine mapping. That the best I could explain it. I will have to keep an eye on it.

I had a similar experience with a Toyota years ago. After service, the car ran like sh*t. Turns out the mechanic had overfilled the oil! Check your dipstick.

Overfilled, or used the wrong oil(to thick).

Now this would make sense.
When I got the car new, the engine sounded "tight" so to speak. It had a certain "new" sound to it.
That sound faded slightly as everything loosened up. However, it sounded like that new sound again after service.

So that begs the question: If the issue is oil related, did they do oil changes for the other 2 services? I will check the fill though. Thanx for direction on this.

With a name of MrDIY why are you having the dealer change your oil?

With a name of MrDIY why are you having the dealer change your oil?

To be fair, maybe his DIY projects differ, such as carpentry, etc? and the tools don't carry over 100%? I dunno, but one thing I've learned is that people who are out of their element are absolutely ignorant, and quite often stupid. In their element, they may be geniuses, and they may have extremely well honed skills within their area, but push them outside of it? Worse than worthless. They possess not only ignorance, but raging Dunning-Kruger, because of their past successes within their element and the wishful thinking that it carries over.

I would never denigrate someone who had the broad intelligence to know when they were in deep waters (for them) and seek consultation or outside expertise. THAT, is the mark of true intelligence, IMO

Specialization may be meant for insects, but us humans do it, too. I see it all the time. I also recognize it in myself, and that is why I hire out many tasks that others feel are "simple". They lay outside of my realm of experience, and I don't wish to learn painfully or at great cost.

Unless they completely added a wrong oil, very difficult these days, I highly doubt this is oil related.
Ask them to run diagnostics on the vehicle. A change in timing advance (mandated by the ECU) can lead to different engine noise and performance issues.

To be fair, maybe his DIY projects differ, such as carpentry, etc? and the tools don't carry over 100%? I dunno, but one thing I've learned is that people who are out of their element are absolutely ignorant, and quite often stupid. In their element, they may be geniuses, and they may have extremely well honed skills within their area, but push them outside of it? Worse than worthless. They possess not only ignorance, but raging Dunning-Kruger, because of their past successes within their element and the wishful thinking that it carries over.

I would never denigrate someone who had the broad intelligence to know when they were in deep waters (for them) and seek consultation or outside expertise. THAT, is the mark of true intelligence, IMO

Specialization may be meant for insects, but us humans do it, too. I see it all the time. I also recognize it in myself, and that is why I hire out many tasks that others feel are "simple". They lay outside of my realm of experience, and I don't wish to learn painfully or at great cost.

Um, ok then.

Changing the oil for the CX isn't rocket science and anyone with a basic knowledge of tools can do it.

Um, ok then.

Changing the oil for the CX isn't rocket science and anyone with a basic knowledge of tools can do it.

Let me chirp in .... my username MrDIY is because I basically do everything myself. My first house purchased off plan was without kitchen and bathroom. I built the entire kitchen from scratch, put in toilets, tiled floors and wall ect. Not having a clue about metalwork, bought an arc welder and make up my own sliding security gates. Over the years, I have basically learned to do everything myself ... including changing of brakes, wheel bearings, and other car components. Did have some help changing a clutch plate on a VW Golf. My actual area of expertise though ... I am an electronic design engineer.

However, with my Mazda, it comes with a warranty and a paid up service plan for 4 years. I don't pay for oil ect. Hence why do it myself in this case. Considering the CX5 has had gearbox issues, I don't want to mess with anything that could have the dealership looking for and excuse not to honor anything on their part.

Let me chirp in .... my username MrDIY is because I basically do everything myself. My first house purchased off plan was without kitchen and bathroom. I built the entire kitchen from scratch, put in toilets, tiled floors and wall ect. Not having a clue about metalwork, bought an arc welder and make up my own sliding security gates. Over the years, I have basically learned to do everything myself ... including changing of brakes, wheel bearings, and other car components. Did have some help changing a clutch plate on a VW Golf. My actual area of expertise though ... I am an electronic design engineer.

However, with my Mazda, it comes with a warranty and a paid up service plan for 4 years. I don't pay for oil ect. Hence why do it myself in this case. Considering the CX5 has had gearbox issues, I don't want to mess with anything that could have the dealership looking for and excuse not to honor anything on their part.

I understand what you're saying. You paid for it so why not have the dealer do the work. I'm also like you in that I do EVERYTHING myself and I've very anal about it. I hate to take my vehicles in to the dealer for work, any work, warranty or not. We had a VW TDI before the CX and the VW came with 3 years of 'free' maintenance, which included oil changes. I spoke with the service manager about doing all the service myself. He agreed to supply me with all the oils, filters, crush washers etc. that I needed in order to do the work myself. He only asked that I let him know when I did the work and what the odo had to say.

Not for everyone of course but I live by the motto 'if you want something done right, do it yourself'.

Did the work order actually say software upgrade? There was one a while back for cold weather performance in earlier models that had a lot of performance complaints. How about gas? Any chance of getting a fill of something bad? I agree with reconnecting the battery and see if something clears the situation.

Good speech Unobtanium, 100% agree. Forums would be a little more civil if people followed that advice.

Back