After Market Remote Start System and Rear Hatch

drezin2112

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
HI All,

I recently installed an aftermarket remote start system (Viper) in my 2016 CX-5 and as with all Maxdas the engine cuts off as soon as you open the doors. I know this is for anti theft of the car, but one thing i notices is when the remote start has the engine running and you open the rear Hatch the engine does not cut off it simply keeps on running, Is this a flaw in the installation of my system or do they normally not wire the rear door to cut the engine. I think this might be a security flaw as someone could break into the rear door climb into the front seat and off they go. If anyone has had a remote start installed please share your thoughts. Do i need to go back to my shop and have them repair this?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thanks

Drezin2112

Sorry I can't help you, drezin, but I'm wondering:

When you open a door and the engine stops, is the ignition killed so that the start button is off [no orange or green led]?

Hmmmm Which door are you talking about? I know the Green light is on when the driver door is opened and the engine stops since i can start the car up and i have th key in my pocket.. Same goes for any passenger door. I never looked for the green light when the rear door is opened because I open the rear door engine keeps running then when i get in the drivers seat via passenger door the engine cuts off .... I suppose i can try to climb into the drivers seat from the rear door and see if it will move without the key but i just assumed it would hence my question.

I'm not familiar with the system, so I just wondered how it works to effectively prevent theft. I was thinking of the front doors.

It sounds like you're right to be concerned IF you can open the rear hatch without the key in proximity.

I have a different system installed but yes, it shuts off when the hatch is opened.

I got a Remote Start installed in my 2018 CX-5 and when I open the doors the engine does not shut off, I am able to get in / hit the start button then hit the brake to disengage the remote start without the engine shutting off. I've never heard of a vehicle shutting off when you open the door until now. Is this a Mazda only thing? That said I wonder why mine doesn't do that? It isn't a factory one even though that is what I thought I was getting.

That wasn't an option just 2 years ago. Newer remote start systems can be wired up like that. OP's is not.

That wasn't an option just 2 years ago. Newer remote start systems can be wired up like that. OP's is not.

Got it, Sorry my bad, this is my first Mazda experience and while I really love the vehicle, my dealer is a whole other story.

I don't know it seems to really come in handy during the cold months here in New Jersey. Start the car 15 minutes ahead of time and get into an interior that is cozy warm. Well worth the 350 I paid for it. They did tell me the engine cutting off is a security measure,and i think it will put more wear and tear on the engine (basically starting and stopping it twice the amount of time) but i am willing to take it for the comfort.

I don't think it's any more wear and tear especially with today's electronic starters.

I got a Remote Start installed in my 2018 CX-5 and when I open the doors the engine does not shut off, I am able to get in / hit the start button then hit the brake to disengage the remote start without the engine shutting off. I've never heard of a vehicle shutting off when you open the door until now. Is this a Mazda only thing? That said I wonder why mine doesn't do that? It isn't a factory one even though that is what I thought I was getting.

Do you know the brand and model of the remote start that was installed? I am looking to install a remote start in my 2018 CX-5 out here in Boston and so far all the shops I have called said Viper and Compustar remote starts will all shut the engine off once the door is opened.

Thanks,
Hs

Back