2018 Speedo Not Calibrated?

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hi guys. New 2018 Touring.

I’ve noticed, with cruise set to 80, speed on Waze showing 80, my speedometer needle is indicating about 82.

Is this a common issue? Can speedo be recalibrated?

How would this effect my odometer over time?

Thanks.

It is not an issue, just an acceptable and slight difference between the two instruments.

But for arguments sake, let us assume that the speed on WAZE is 100% accurate... After driving with WAZE for 160,000 miles, your odometer will say 164,000 miles.

Federal standards are within 10% error acceptable at 55mph, and Australian looks to be the same, 10% error acceptable at 100kph.

Last edited:
Historically, speedos have typically indicated about 2 mph above the actual speed. But not in my CX-5. The HUD almost always agrees with those roadside "your speed" radar displays, never more than 1 mph off, which would be the level of precision of both indicators. The analog speedo, however, runs about 1-2 mph higher than the HUD.

I always imagined that the good old car companies were trying to help us avoid speeding tickets- lol.

Federal standards are within 10% error acceptable at 55mph, and Australian looks to be the same, 10% error acceptable at 100kph.

That's why cops won't stop you for speeding <5 mph over the limit at highway speeds.

That's why cops won't stop you for speeding <5 mph over the limit at highway speeds.
Once I got a speeding ticket for driving at 56 mph on I-80 in Iowa! At the time the speed limit was 55 mph nationwide.

If anything the analog dial is slightly off. Don't worry about it. It's common for speedos to be slightly higher than actual speed.

Hi guys. New 2018 Touring.

I’ve noticed, with cruise set to 80, speed on Waze showing 80, my speedometer needle is indicating about 82.

Is this a common issue? Can speedo be recalibrated?

How would this effect my odometer over time?

Thanks.

Don't worry. Pretty much all speedos are slightly off.

Been this way since year dot.

Once I got a speeding ticket for driving at 56 mph on I-80 in Iowa! At the time the speed limit was 55 mph nationwide.

Coulda fought that one and won. I bet you had out of state plates!

Only cop cars come with calibrated speedos. +2.5% error is excellent. If you buy the right tires next time you might be able to dial that out.

That and its not worth it for them. However technically they can get you for going 1mph over speed limit if they wanted an excuse to legally pull you over

Sadly, they can pull you over if they just don't like your looks.

That and it’s not worth it for them. However technically they can get you for going 1mph over speed limit if they wanted an excuse to legally pull you over

The margin here used to be about 5km/h before a police officer would pull one over. No it's as little as 1-2km/h.

Since most speedos show under what the vehicle is doing, one shouldn't get pulled over if doing exactly the speed limit or 1 over.

Thanks guys. Just a little disconcerting when I see cruise set to 80 and analog is off. Maybe I am a little ocd!

Thanks guys. Just a little disconcerting when I see cruise set to 80 and analog is off. Maybe I am a little ocd!

Pretty much all the manufacturers set the speedo to read a little fast so as to compensate for tire diameter variations and other factors. They'd rather you'd be driving slower than you think rather than faster - maybe liability reasons?

Back