Posts gone after server failure/issue

:
'18 Mazda CX-5 Akera KG i-Activ AWD 2.5L In Sonic Silver
Hi there,

You probably already know but in case you don't, looks like the last 2 days worth of posts have disappeared with the server failure/issue

My post count has decreased by around 20.

Kind Regards,

Xeler8ing

It's true unfortunately...First time this has happened I believe since we started in 2001!

I've posted the following site-wide announcement...

----------------------------------------------------------
This is a quick heads up...We had a very unusual double hardware failure and although we’re back up...Several days worth of data may have been lost so unfortunately some posts / threads might be missing...We apologize for this and we’re going to order a new server to not only improve reliability but speed as well. We may also take this opportunity to replace vBulletin with XenForo (ahead of schedule).

Stay tuned and once again, we apologize for any data that was lost!
----------------------------------------------------------

The good news is we're changing our server setup and going with a new much faster server that utilizes ssds for storage. It may take a week or two before we're on the new server.

Updates will be posted!

Sorry to hear about all the issues. Hope things go smoothly and thanks for the update (thumb)

Good to hear things are getting back on track. I've lived through 25 years of those IT meltdowns myself... not fun.

Double hardware failure? As in your backup/redundancy (if you have one) as well?

Or is it just the one server?

About 20 years ago or we had a failure that took out an HP-UX system... that system needed a new power supply and a restore...but it took out the attached DDS tape drive. No worries we will get another tape drive. Come to find out the old tape drive alignment was actually off so our tapes wouldn't read in the new drive. HP worked with us to change alignment of another drive so we could read data. Lesson learned... test out tape backups on another drive.

EDIT: I think the the worst thing I ever worked with was NT 3.51/4.0 and Exchange 5/5.5
Better hope server doesn't lose power or you might be spending days getting OS and the Exchange store (if it didn't corrupt) back online.

Last edited:
Double hardware failure? As in your backup/redundancy (if you have one) as well?

Or is it just the one server?

The site was running on a server cluster and as I understand it, the cluster AND the SAN (Storage Area Network) died! We are now running on a temporary server until the new one is set up...Hopefully it will be ready in a week or two and we're planning on moving to XenForo shortly after...(2thumbs)

Ps...We do have a backup system but I believe there was an issue with the datastore and backups were running too slow...Unfortunately this meant we couldn't recover all the data...Good news is...This should all be sorted once we get the new server in place.

FYI - I had noticed over the past week before the crash that access to the site and threads was very slow.

Much faster now.

Update...Just posted the following announcement...

-------------------------------------------------------
Quick heads up...Mazdas247 is on a brand new server which should greatly improve reliability and speed for everyone. Note that there might be a few issues resulting from the move but not to worry, we will sort them out ASAP.

I would like to say a big thank you to Enry for all his hard work keeping the Mazdas247 Community online and now on a brand new server!

If anyone comes across any technical issues with the site, please send me a PM via the link below...Thanks!

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=18

That's it for now...Enjoy! :D

You need a failover server there Antoine! :D

Anyway, glad to hear everything should be back to business as usually, minus the upcoming platform change.

Update...Just posted the following announcement...

Quick heads up...Mazdas247 is on a brand new server which should greatly improve reliability and speed for everyone. Note that there might be a few issues resulting from the move but not to worry, we will sort them out ASAP.

I would like to say a big thank you to Enry for all his hard work keeping the Mazdas247 Community online and now on a brand new server!

If anyone comes across any technical issues with the site, please send me a PM via the link below...Thanks!

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=18

That's it for now...Enjoy! :D

Good to hear all is now good :D

Back