need new satnav card

ashdale

:
cx5
(I trust this is the correct subgroup for this)
On my 2014 CX5, the satnav stopped working recently, though I hadn't consciously used my Tomtom for maybe a year. Last week, the local Mazda dealer finally diagnosed a faulty satnav (SD) card. They didn't charge me for the day spent diagnosing this (good!!) but couldn't give a price on a card replacement. They said they'd contact me but they've probably forgotten by now. I expect that through them, it'd be expensive!!!!
I've googled/browsed on ebay for a replacement card but I'm not sure what exactly I want. Do I need a card for just a 2014 Mazda, or can I use a card for, say, 2018, or 2016-2018? In fact, do I need a card specifically for a Mazda CX5, or will any more general card do?
Thanks in advance for your input.

Definitely needs to be a TomTom card, so that limits you to 2013-2015 (correct me someone if I'm wrong about 2015). Have you tried copying the card onto a new one on your computer? Folks did that back then to have a "backup" card and it worked fine.

Correct, needs to say "TOMTOM" on the Mazda sat nav card to work in the first gen system...

I would try inspecting and cleaning the contacts on the SD card, as well as opening and closing several times, the sliding door on the tomtom nav unit.

There are 2 things to make certain in order to get the TOM TOM navi booted.
Make certain that card is inserted /pushed all the way into the slot until it clicks in and stays in.
Make certain to close the SD card bay by sliding the door closed.

Have to use a 2013-2014 card but problem is they are all used/discontinued. Had your card still been working you could use it obviously for free but with outdated maps. You can pay for a map upgrade on Tom Tom's CX-5 website.

Since your card is not working I would rather just purchase a stand alone Garmin navigation device.

Edit: Try searching Tom Tom's CX-5 website to see if you can purchase maps and the software to be downloaded unto your own blank SD card. Slim chance but worth a shot to look into.

There's always salvage yards and ebay.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

For an easier to use solution, I also vote for a nicer Garmin. Far easier to use and less "Yes, Yes, and Yes, I really mean it", fiddling around.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
Amazon isn't always the cheapest place to buy but a Garmin xxxx-LMT is hard to beat with its lifetime map updates. My favorite trick is to buy a just discontinued Garmin and that gets an almost 50% discount. I have had a 2595LMT I bought about 4 years ago, a Nuvi 750 in my MX-5 and a 10+ y.o. Streetpilot C550 still running on my Concours14.

So much for my local Mazda dealer! In hindsight, I should've asked the dealer to demonstrate to me that the system worked with a replacement card, or that the existing card worked on another car. Instead, I got myself the correct replacement card on Ebay (40) and that didn't work either! I've no reason to suppose I was sold a dud (the vendor apparently had a six or seven for sale). I shall now go to another Mazda dealer in a nearby town to see if they have any ideas. I might also ask my local garage if they know of any knowledgable electronic guys who could diagnose the fault.
In the meantime, my G/F has a plug-in TomTom she no longer needs so I have a workaround.

So much for my local Mazda dealer! In hindsight, I should've asked the dealer to demonstrate to me that the system worked with a replacement card, or that the existing card worked on another car. Instead, I got myself the correct replacement card on Ebay (40) and that didn't work either! I've no reason to suppose I was sold a dud (the vendor apparently had a six or seven for sale). I shall now go to another Mazda dealer in a nearby town to see if they have any ideas. I might also ask my local garage if they know of any knowledgable electronic guys who could diagnose the fault.
In the meantime, my G/F has a plug-in TomTom she no longer needs so I have a workaround.

The card you bought would have to be registered. If I recall you have to register your car and the card. Read here for more info:
http://mazdanav.com/user_guides/navigation-reference-manual-english-us/the-memory-card/

Remember you have to install Tom Tom Home unto your computer:

Installing TomTom HOME
The steps below refer to Internet Explorer on Windows XP. If you're using another browser or operating system, visit http://www.tomtom.com/support for more information.

To install TomTom HOME on your computer, do the following:

Connect your computer to the internet.
Click the link below to download the latest version of TomTom HOME: http://www.tomtom.com/home
We recommend downloading the file to your computer by clicking Save.
Once the download is complete, click Open.
If you accidentally closed the Download Complete window, locate the file TomTomHOME2winlatest.exe on your computer and double-click it.
If you get a security warning, click Run.
Click Next then click Install.
The installation starts.
Once the installation is complete click Finish.

You also have to initialize that new card of yours:

Once the installation is complete click Finish.
Initializing Your Memory Card
To use a new or empty memory card with TomTom HOME, it needs to be initialized so that HOME can detect it. To initialize your card, do the following:

Start the car and switch on your Mazda NB1.
Press the NAV button to switch to navigation mode.
The navigation screen appears.
Insert the new memory card into your Mazda NB1.
Wait for a few seconds so that the card can be initialized by your Mazda NB1.
Remove the card from your Mazda NB1 and insert it into the card reader connected to your computer.
Your new card is now ready for use with TomTom HOME.

Again...carefully read through that website and don't toss that new card you bought.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed response (holiday). Yes, I can get the TomTom program on my computer, but how do I "feed" my SD card to the computer to get the information? I don't have any card-reading slots, just two USB slots......

Find a computer that has SD slots or buy a usb card reader for 10 bucks

Find a computer that has SD slots or buy a usb card reader for 10 bucks

Many thanks, yes, I can get a card reader, I've now googled the item.

But I don't need to anymore! It's a miracle, but the satnav started working again when I tried it today (Thursday)!!!!! All I can think of for a reason is this. Last weekend I accidentally left the ignition on at the G/F's house and flattened the battery. I called out the RAC on Monday and the man checked the battery was down to 3.5 volts. The man connected a power pack, I started the engine and left the car running for half an hour before driving home. (The man checked on his diagnostic laptop that the battery-alternator system was OK) However I didn't try out the satnav system until today. So could this battery recharge, and presumably, "car computer re-learning" have revived the satnav? Or is it instead the present heatwave (90degF this afternoon) which has warmed up components in the engine bay/dashboard area?

Excessive Heat Can Cause Temporary Shut Downs

Many thanks, yes, I can get a card reader, I've now googled the item.

But I don't need to anymore! It's a miracle, but the satnav started working again when I tried it today (Thursday)!!!!! All I can think of for a reason is this. Last weekend I accidentally left the ignition on at the G/F's house and flattened the battery. I called out the RAC on Monday and the man checked the battery was down to 3.5 volts. The man connected a power pack, I started the engine and left the car running for half an hour before driving home. (The man checked on his diagnostic laptop that the battery-alternator system was OK) However I didn't try out the satnav system until today. So could this battery recharge, and presumably, "car computer re-learning" have revived the satnav? Or is it instead the present heatwave (90degF this afternoon) which has warmed up components in the engine bay/dashboard area?

Excessive heat can cause temporary shut downs of automotive electronics. Fortunately, it is temporary in most cases.

I also belong to an MX-5 forum where there have been the same issues reported.

When parking, try to keep your Infotainment screen out of direct sunlight. Use a windshield shade or some other item to protect the monitor. This may help prevent future shut downs.

Back