Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of buying a CX-5 but I have some questions first.

Registered Member

None yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I love my cx5 in the application you stated. I live in a rural area 30 minutes from the nearest town of any size. It gets good mileage for what it is and how I use it, and I have 87,5xx on it. No complaints in the reliability dept. Its a 2015 touring awd 2.5. Maint. is as cheap as any Ford or GM I've owned. It's as close to an appliance as I've ever driven. Just get in and go from A to B, no problem.

That said, no way I'd buy any CUV right now until the new RAV4 drops for 2019 and I'd tried it out. On paper it's a class leader, it costs within a few hundred bucks, and in 5 years will be worth 3 to 5k more on trade than the cx5.
    So is the depreciation/trade-in value the biggest issue for the CX-5 other than the infotainment system?

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD, Liquid Silver

Now that I have a grandson the CX5 is terrible for anyone sitting in the front seat if they are tall. You have to move the seat up too far to make sure the car seat is properly installed.

Registered Member

None yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Heritage07 View Post
    Now that I have a grandson the CX5 is terrible for anyone sitting in the front seat if they are tall. You have to move the seat up too far to make sure the car seat is properly installed.
    I am 6 foot and my wife is 5 foot 5 ish.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by LookingIn View Post
    I am 6 foot and my wife is 5 foot 5 ish.
    I am 6'1", my wife is 5'8", my son is 6' and my daughter is 5'6". We routinely drive long distances (500-1200 miles R/T) in that car - even though we also have a mini-van! The kids don't complain and have plenty of room. In the front, we don't alter the front seats to accommodate the rear passengers. This is in a 2014. The 2018 might be a little different. Without doubt the mini van is better but it does not have a hitch for the bikes. ):
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Gen2 CX-5 retains its value like a mofo compared to gen1. And gen1 is on par with Toyota in my opinion.
    As I said, mazda is doing good overall and this helps resale as it becomes more desirable.
    New CX-5 sold so many they had to start another plant. New cx8 outsold in Japan will now release in 3 more markets, new 6 sedan will kill it in EU and Australia.
    China is now #1 market for Mazda and not USA.

Mazda said in 2016 that improving resale was one of it's big goals. They stopped offering huge incentives and CPO sales have taken off. They've succeeded. Resale is improving across the entire range.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

So is the depreciation/trade-in value the biggest issue for the CX-5 other than the infotainment system?
    I just have the Touring. I hear the infotainment on the other models is livable, but noone buys a CX5 for the infotainment. I'd rate it in the bottom 30% of options in its price-range, for that aspect solely. The screen is pretty small, for starters.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Kaps View Post
    Gen2 CX-5 retains its value like a mofo compared to gen1. And gen1 is on par with Toyota in my opinion.
    As I said, mazda is doing good overall and this helps resale as it becomes more desirable.
    New CX-5 sold so many they had to start another plant. New cx8 outsold in Japan will now release in 3 more markets, new 6 sedan will kill it in EU and Australia.
    China is now #1 market for Mazda and not USA.
    Opinions are all well and good until you get to the dealer and they pull out KBB or price cars at Auction. It is NOT on par with the RAV4.

The Gen 2 CX5...it hasn't really been out long enough for us to see 3+ year trade values.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Mazda said in 2016 that improving resale was one of it's big goals. They stopped offering huge incentives and CPO sales have taken off. They've succeeded. Resale is improving across the entire range.
    That's good, but I feel like we need to wait 3+ years to get an honest handle on it. Everyone said the Gen 1's had good resale back when I bought in 2015. Well. They don't. They are bottom of the class except for the Nissan Rogue, comparing 2014-2015 against other vehicles in its class.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by furia View Post
    While the new RAV4 looks much better than the current MY it still doesn't look as good as CX-5 and i doubt it will worth 3~5k more than CX5 after 5 years. (and it doesn't matter if you are leasing)
    Based on my KBB comparison of my CX5 to a RAV4 of identical trim, mileage, and year, the RAV is indeed worth about 3-4K more. Noone can say what t he future holds, but Toyota has always and will always hold value better than a Mazda.

Looks are too subjective. It could be a total turd and if OP liked how it looks, he would/she would be inclined towards it. That said, on paper, it absolutely out-does the CX5 in every possible way. I'd wait to see/drive one before writing it off, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    That's good, but I feel like we need to wait 3+ years to get an honest handle on it. Everyone said the Gen 1's had good resale back when I bought in 2015. Well. They don't. They are bottom of the class except for the Nissan Rogue, comparing 2014-2015 against other vehicles in its class.
    What are you smoking?

Coming in right behind the CR-V’s resale value is the*Toyota RAV4, which Edmunds says holds onto 48.6 percent of its purchase price over five years. The*Subaru Forester*retains 47.1 percent of its value and the*Ford Escape*has a 45.7 percent resale value over five years. The*Nissan Rogue*and*Mazda CX-5*round out the top five compact SUVs for resale value, holding onto 43.5 and 43.2 percent of their original purchase prices,*

That was 2014. 6% less then RAV4. Come on now. Hardly terrible. 7% less then CRV.
    Last edited by 7eregrine; 07-01-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

I realize that posting on this forum, I wasn't expecting people to say "don't buy this car, it's a lemon!"

Some people here are full of it regarding how amazing the CX5 is in their opinion. Some of us are overly critical of it for what it is. I own being t he latter. Part of that is that I don't really like it. I bought it because I needed an AWD vehicle that was reliable and good on gas. I literally drove my JGC to the dealer that offered me the most on trade, and found something I could live with on their lot, and did the deal. I could have done far worse, but I have no passion for my CX5. It's a tool. A good, reliable, effective one, but my hear isn't in it.

And besides all that...raise your hand if "Resale Value" was a deciding factor in your purchase decision. Anyone?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

What are you smoking?

Coming in right behind the CR-V’s resale value is the*Toyota RAV4, which Edmunds says holds onto 48.6 percent of its purchase price over five years. The*Subaru Forester*retains 47.1 percent of its value and the*Ford Escape*has a 45.7 percent resale value over five years. The*Nissan Rogue*and*Mazda CX-5*round out the top five compact SUVs for resale value, holding onto 43.5 and 43.2 percent of their original purchase prices,*

That was 2014. 6% less then RAV4. Come on now. Hardly terrible.
    I simply used KBB trade value, which is what the dealers here use. Don't believe me? You can log on yourself and play with it. That said, you do mirror what I said. It's totally the bottom of its class, I was wrong by 0.2%. It's literally the worst.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

And besides all that...raise your hand if "Resale Value" was a deciding factor in your purchase decision. Anyone?
    *Raises hand*.

Why wouldn't it be? Or is this a "last ride" for you? If so, why this?

LITERALLY my first post on this board:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ons&highlight=
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 07-01-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast