Thinking of buying a CX-5 but I have some questions first.

Good posts lookin & shado.
I've told him that before, too, shado. Drive a car you like driving every day, man! Most of us do. LOL

Well said shado! Life is to short to be bitchin about your ride all the time.

Don't granny drive the damn thing and pulling into traffic is no problem. Seriously I have never had an issue getting up to the right speed to pull into traffic.

If I creep out and then punch it from a near stand-still I get a 2 or 3 count before it does anything.

Good posts lookin & shado.
I've told him that before, too, shado. Drive a car you like driving every day, man! Most of us do. LOL
We do! And that's why we're here. (drinks)

I know, 7, so many have been trying to help him solve his "problem" since I've been here [and probably long before] in vain. (help)

Personally, I think he just likes to b****. I can relate, but it does get old. (yawn)

Or maybe he really likes stir the s*** and start arguments. (bicker)

Or maybe he likes recalling those glorious steeds of his youth! Eat your hearts out, lowly CX-5 drivers! (drive2) (loser)

Whatever. (shrug)

I have just two more words for Unob, and it's all he needs to know: sunk cost. (hahaspit)

If I creep out and then punch it from a near stand-still I get a 2 or 3 count before it does anything.
That's really annoying. And really surprised me the first time I tried it. Here's what I've found:

Don't punch it. Easy on the gas and steady increase-- don't be tentative and don't lift. Or the same technique with sport mode [so it won't upshift on you]. But flooring it in first gear is NOT the quickest way to go.

Any other time... MASH that sucker!

Well said shado! Life is to short to be bitchin about your ride all the time.

Well...yeah...but priorities. Could I be rolling around in a GLC43 AMG? Sure. But I really wanted to buy another 400 feet of water frontage and 7 acres adjacent to me. I'm not rich enough to have ALL of the things immediately at the same time. I just bought a house and land 8ish mo ago.

Really though, this time next year a loaded out Audi A4 2.0T premium quattro is hard to argue with. I'll evaluate then. But yeah, for now I'm buying real estate. Unlike any car, it will last a lifetime

That's really annoying. And really surprised me the first time I tried it. Here's what I've found:

Don't punch it. Easy on the gas and steady increase-- don't be tentative and don't lift. Or the same technique with sport mode [so it won't upshift on you]. But flooring it in first gear is NOT the quickest way to go.

Manually select first. The tq converter apparently disengages in 1st if you dont, and it has to engage, and then flash, before you move. With it in 1st manually, it just flashes like any other stall, and off you are.

People can disagree without getting told to leave. People with different opinions leaving only encourages a hive mind mentality.

This is why I remain friends with people who vocally and pointedly disagree with me on major life topics. Echo chambers are stupid places for stupid people. No thanks.

2gv7rzn.jpg

Last edited:
Here's what I don't get, Unob. You obviously have a good job, should be making decent money. You seem to often have to commute long hours to work. I know you have other priorities for your money. But if I had to spend 8 hours a day working, and two or four hours driving to and fro, I'd damn sure want a good ride. Not one that I resent for being what it is. Not one whose shortcomings annoy me. I'd get one that I enjoyed being in, enjoyed driving, one that I really like. It's not worth the aggravation, it's only money, life's too short, etc.
And waiting for your perfect compromise will be an exercise in frustration, because it will always be a compromise. Keep the CX-5 for your "appliance", and get a "car" you like.

Treat yourself, man, you're worth it. And quit your bitchin'. (2cents)

I get that, but I also would like to let the dust settle. 8mo ago I bought a house and 6 acres. 3 mo from now I'm closing on another 400ft of waterfront and another 7 acres adjacent to me. I'd really just like to not be farming my credit score and financing something and all that just for a few months lol! Sometime next yearthough, yes, I've got a few things in mind. Truth be told, I'm also hoping a new WRX hits. I need AWD, and there are precious few awd vehicles I like that are cheap. I have owned expensive cars and I get all stressed over rocks,parking lots, etc. If a car costs over 40k I get super edgy about it and it's hard for me to truly enjoy it. I'd love something like a 375hp wrx with the sleek lines of the new mustang or something. The Audi 2.0T quattro with 6 speed comes super close to what I want and can be had in the 30s loaded nearly 1 year old. I just hate the Audi tax on trade in. Waiting on subaru...maybe.

Or maybe if that small amount of lag (which is half of what my previous RAV4 did) is slowing things down too much, try waiting for a bigger gap because that is cutting it fine.

Well...yeah...but priorities. Could I be rolling around in a GLC43 AMG? Sure. But I really wanted to buy another 400 feet of water frontage and 7 acres adjacent to me. I'm not rich enough to have ALL of the things immediately at the same time. I just bought a house and land 8ish mo ago.

Really though, this time next year a loaded out Audi A4 2.0T premium quattro is hard to argue with. I'll evaluate then. But yeah, for now I'm buying real estate. Unlike any car, it will last a lifetime

Well good luck with your German stuff and I hope they are good for you but they’ll have to break with convention with the ones that my friends have. You’ll need to know just where the dealer is and the day they are out of warranty you can forget the notion of a warranty claim even if it was misbehaving inside the warranty period. You’ll be on your own and that will seriously interfere with any plans for saving money.

Or maybe if that small amount of lag (which is half of what my previous RAV4 did) is slowing things down too much, try waiting for a bigger gap because that is cutting it fine.

Well good luck with your German stuff and I hope they are good for you but they’ll have to break with convention with the ones that my friends have. You’ll need to know just where the dealer is and the day they are out of warranty you can forget the notion of a warranty claim even if it was misbehaving inside the warranty period. You’ll be on your own and that will seriously interfere with any plans for saving money.

Oh yes, hence the waiting. I've never owned a German vehicle before though, and it's something everyone should do once.

On that note, a tech at one of the hospitals I work for just bought a 2011 E550 with 84k miles on it. I hope for her sake she bought a ringer.

Last edited:
Well good luck with your German stuff and I hope they are good for you but theyll have to break with convention with the ones that my friends have. Youll need to know just where the dealer is and the day they are out of warranty you can forget the notion of a warranty claim even if it was misbehaving inside the warranty period. Youll be on your own and that will seriously interfere with any plans for saving money.

VW has a good warranty in US, but the fact still remains - a friends new VW loaded Atlas has been to shop about 3 times in 3 months. People buying family haulers for 40 grand do not have ample time left and usually freak out when their collision warning comes on in middle of night with no car around.
Its a double crime - buy a first model year VW and buy one with lot of tech.
This week my rental ride is Crosstek XV - if you want an appliance Unob with AWD - this is a good contender. It will also highlight how the CX-5 is slightly the more premium driving car in the segment.

I've been following this thread as the original post describes a similar situation to mine. Can anyone share some of the negatives for a 2017 base model touring AWD?

I'm on the fence of purchasing a CPO for $23,000 + TTL with 5,000 miles. Thanks

I've been following this thread as the original post describes a similar situation to mine. Can anyone share some of the negatives for a 2017 base model touring AWD?

Its a stable platform. I am sure you know what features it has and what it doesn't. If its going to be used for commuting duties as well in city it becomes an even more justifiable car. Fill it with four adults and gear and try to merge on freeway- your life will suck, thats true for all CUVs in the segment.

Overall Touring is the best value trim, stuff is cheap to replace, maintenance is same as other brands and the car doesn't do anything bad. I want to say Mazda real world mpg is much better than most, primarily as skyactiv is good for cruising while it doesn't make you feel terribly slow.
When I ride my Camry, it gets less mileage than cx5 in mixed driving. Both are similar year cars.
You can get a lot more car for that money- base 3 row Sorento Kia, but will it drive as well and be cheap and reliable? Maybe not.

Could have bought a used CLXBlablawhatevahthefuck. Ive never bought a car I didn't love. Not even the first one. My mom offered me her car for free to 18 yr old broke ass me. Dodge Aries K. A nice reliant automobile. Nope...I saved up $1,200 from my bad job and bought a 1974 Pontiac Firebird.
Yea....wish I still had that car.
#LifesTooShort

Just to keep us on topic, how good/fast is the A.C. for the hot summers?

The only other active thread as of this posting is about that exact subject:
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123865095-Cx-5-2017-ac

On a really hot day 85+ it can take time to cool off, but it does cool off well.

OMG Why are you still here, go buy that car?!?! LOL! :D
Negatives of the Touring: 17 inch rims. 'Regular' headlights (it's 18 they added LED to Touring, right guys?), y'know just the options available.
I will say this negative: It's not a GT. People ask here and on Reddit often: How do I get those LED headlights on my Touring? Yea, you can't. and YES they ALONE are worth the price of a GT. NOT as big a deal in 18 because Touring gets LED now, they just don't turn with the steering wheel like they do on a GT. I think. LOL Mazda has changed much lately.

Like my wife told me when I was deciding between GT and T and like we are telling Inob right here: GET THE CAR YOU WANT! Don't skimp.
:D

Last edited:
Back