Thinking of buying a CX-5 but I have some questions first.

I'm not sure when the 2013's dropped, but it was sometime in 2012. 2013's were 2.0L only across all trims and was the first MY in NA.

My 2013 CX-5 was taken home from the dealer the first week of March of 2012.

Last edited:
You bought a car you dont like and talk about the car you dont like on a forum partly dedicated to a car you dont like. I think you need a hobby.

View from the older side.

Posting as a 75 year old and our 2018 CX-5 Touring mostly used for day trips with some extended stays. The 2018 replaced a 2015 Sport. I like all of the improvements especially interior finish and quietness. A few comments.
For us the cargo space is fine. For a young family you may have to work at storing a little more. I prefer the size of the CX-5 overall and will accept the storage. The back seat is fine. Our grandson is now forward facing and we all fit fine. I can't convince him to keep his feet off the seat back but he get special privileges. I did have a cargo cover in the 2015 but it didn't fit the 2018. I do find with the tinted windows in the rear it is difficult to see in most times, so good enough. I'll save the money for now.
Cylinder deact means nothing to me. I did tell the salesman I'm not happy testing new technology in this engine. If they could program it off I'd be happy.
Infotainment is OK. Don't use a lot of it. No cup spills. The holders are pretty deep. I only use radio, cellphone connect (all new to me and I find it useful sometimes), and USB music. Maybe I'll learn more about it. On the radio subject I wish Mazda would put in a real FM antenna. If its in the fin it's not enough.
Oomph, plenty for me. When I want it it's there.
Snow. Being retired I don't have to go out but my 2015 was impressive to me who never had 4 wheel.
No cold weather start probs in central CT.
Had 22000mi on the 2015 with no problems. My son has it now so I'll be able to see how it lasts.

Overall very happy with my new CX-5

Surprising but very true! Stomping is NOT the fastest way off the line. And sport mode doesn't get you moving any faster, either.

Sport mode is primarily for when at speed - keeps the engine in the optimum rev range and locks out top gear(s)

Last edited:
I also like the sport mode also for the engine braking it automatically down shifts and uses the engine braking during hard braking just like a manual transmission would

I outlined that in my first post. It's cheap. It's been very reliable. It manages, if barely, to make it up my driveway even in an ice storm, and it sips cheap gasoline. Why do you still have your 5 year old coffee maker? It works.

Really, you're going to bring a coffee maker into this. (boom05)

After reading why you bought your CX-5 it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. So your complaints have no merit. By complaining it tells me you should buy a more expensive SUV or just suck it up buttercup!

Right? If my coffee maker breaks, I'm throwing it away. An appliance vehicle to me would be a $2,000 used pickup. [emoji16]

I put a lot of thought and care into purchasing my appliances. And I love my Breville Barista Express 870XL. Like the CX-5, its not the best, but it delivers more than one would expect for its cost and the designers paid attention to the details. Its an appliance. It makes me happy.

Driving my Mazda CX-5 makes me happy (except when trying to pull into traffic). Its an excellent car, far better than most.

Driving my Mazda CX-5 makes me happy (except when trying to pull into traffic). Its an excellent car, far better than most.
Don't granny drive the damn thing and pulling into traffic is no problem. Seriously I have never had an issue getting up to the right speed to pull into traffic.

I’ve never had an issue getting into traffic.

It appears someone here has been partaking of the wampum early on this holiday period.

Also never once. Thing drives so smooth at 80, too. Almost wish it didn't. One ticket 7 months ago, got pulled over again 2 weeks ago: 80 in a 60. Got out of that one though cuz my son is so cute and listens well. [emoji106]

Also never once. Thing drives so smooth at 80, too. Almost wish it didn't. One ticket 7 months ago, got pulled over again 2 weeks ago: 80 in a 60. Got out of that one though cuz my son is so cute and listens well. [emoji106]
Yep, I find it very easy to accidently go 80 in a 65, etc. And regularly have to slow myself down.

Yep, I find it very easy to accidently go 80 in a 65, etc. And regularly have to slow myself down.

I've experienced this whilst trying to overtake above 110km/h (68.35mph). If I am not careful, I'm quickly at 120km/h-130km/h (74.56-80.77mph)

After reading why you bought your CX-5 it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. So your complaints have no merit. By complaining it tells me you should buy a more expensive SUV or just suck it up buttercup!

It is doing what it's supposed to do, yes, but it's also not as good in some areas as I expected it to be. I didn't expect a modern vehicle go have such a bad HVAC, and lack of any insulation was a honest surprise. One typically doesnt research "insulation delete" along with a CUVpurchase, etc. That said, yes, I've opted just to live with it. That doesnt mean I wont share opinion when asked though.

Right? If my coffee maker breaks, I'm throwing it away. An appliance vehicle to me would be a $2,000 used pickup. [emoji16]

If this thing developed a foible or bobble in how it shifted or something like that that I thought would warrant real repairwork, you bet your ass I'd shitcan it, which is to say, immediate trade in. (I'd trade a coffee maker in, too, but you can't really)

Don't granny drive the damn thing and pulling into traffic is no problem. Seriously I have never had an issue getting up to the right speed to pull into traffic.

It's not quick, but I'll second this. I've never been worried about it, and this includes driving in Houston, san Antonio, DFW, and rush hour here in NW Arkansas as well as blind driveway exiting in the mountains. Just never had an issue on that front.

People can disagree without getting told to leave. People with different opinions leaving only encourages a hive mind mentality.

Here's what I don't get, Unob. You obviously have a good job, should be making decent money. You seem to often have to commute long hours to work. I know you have other priorities for your money. But if I had to spend 8 hours a day working, and two or four hours driving to and fro, I'd damn sure want a good ride. Not one that I resent for being what it is. Not one whose shortcomings annoy me. I'd get one that I enjoyed being in, enjoyed driving, one that I really like. It's not worth the aggravation, it's only money, life's too short, etc.
And waiting for your perfect compromise will be an exercise in frustration, because it will always be a compromise. Keep the CX-5 for your "appliance", and get a "car" you like.

Treat yourself, man, you're worth it. And quit your bitchin'. (2cents)

Back