Thinking of buying a CX-5 but I have some questions first.

Not. I know how to use "in my opinion". I have a strong opinion, but it's only that: my opinion. When I state facts, I check them before I post them.

Nobody will ever say it's a lemon, cause it's not! But some people come here to b**** unconstructively about this or that.

Just one thing: don't ever let the noisiest opinions corrupt your decision making process.

It's hard not to listen to the loudest voices.

You are buying a 5 yr old drivetrain that is having its best selling year. It used to be fast n loud, mazda made it heavy and quiet in 2017. Platform is reliable. All modern cars use synthetic oil, will last 10 k miles, actually 12500 miles per change. Maintenance is similar to Toyota.
Info system is best non intrusive system. Its not most high-tech but once you are used to it you can get a lot done without looking at it.

It's hard not to listen to the loudest voices.

So true, and getting worse every day... but we give the loudest voices more weight at our peril.

There's always a reason they're so loud, and usually not a good one.

And I can't relate to you "I'll just buy the cheapest thing I can find that's reliable". Never in my life have I said that about a car. Nor will I ever. Life's too short to drive an appliance. But I respect your choice.
My issue with you is your attitude that you're right. You know it all. You're inability to understand everyone is different. Our motto around here, thanks to our esteemed Aussie friend: each to thier own.
"Fun to drive" means different things to different people.
I do appreciate that you bring a different perspective to the group. I just wish you'd use "IMO" more often. [emoji1][emoji106]

Unless I am discussing a technical datapoints, I figured it was implied that it was just an opinion.

I find nothing fun about a vehicle with a 0-60 deep in the 7s that cant even come within rifle range of 1g on the skidpad, and has next to no offroad capability. I just...how could it be anything BUT an appliance? You want a fun CUV? GLC43AMG. Etc. Imo...

Unless I am discussing a technical datapoints, I figured it was implied that it was just an opinion.

I find nothing fun about a vehicle with a 0-60 deep in the 7s that cant even come within rifle range of 1g on the skidpad, and has next to no offroad capability. I just...how could it be anything BUT an appliance? You want a fun CUV? GLC43AMG. Etc. Imo...

Why do you still have your CX-5? (dunno)

Why do you still have your CX-5? (dunno)

I outlined that in my first post. It's cheap. It's been very reliable. It manages, if barely, to make it up my driveway even in an ice storm, and it sips cheap gasoline. Why do you still have your 5 year old coffee maker? It works.

I outlined that in my first post. It's cheap. It's been very reliable. It manages, if barely, to make it up my driveway even in an ice storm, and it sips cheap gasoline. Why do you still have your 5 year old coffee maker? It works.
That’s fair enough but you are unfairly critical to go on and compare it performance wise with the expectations from say a Porsche SUV. You buy instant coffee then grumble that it doesn’t taste the same as filter coffee although I do see that you morally feel that such a beverage would be difficult to justify to yourself. Instant coffee is a treat for us. I was gonna say better than cold tea because nothing makes an Englishman spontaneously throw up at even the thought of it but you lot choose to drink it and have developed some super human ability to keep it down - bizarre and it completely knackers my daft analogy. Cold tea for goodness sake.

Ice cold, with lemon and sugar. Enjoying some right now. Cheers!(cheers)

That’s fair enough but you are unfairly critical to go on and compare it performance wise with the expectations from say a Porsche SUV. You buy instant coffee then grumble that it doesn’t taste the same as filter coffee although I do see that you morally feel that such a beverage would be difficult to justify to yourself. Instant coffee is a treat for us. I was gonna say better than cold tea because nothing makes an Englishman spontaneously throw up at even the thought of it but you lot choose to drink it and have developed some super human ability to keep it down - bizarre and it completely knackers my daft analogy. Cold tea for goodness sake.
I steal lattes from the EMT lounge. When I work ER. Otherwise at home its half and half with acid neutral/reduced Kava instant coffee.

Yuck...

Little cranky today?
So you're in the "just an appliance' crew too? LOL ;)

Honestly, these are, to a point, utilitarian vehicles. They are designed to move you and things from point A to point B and do it for a specific cost. However, if you can't tell the difference in driving feel between a CX-5, a CR-V, a Rogue, a Rav-4 or a Forrester, well, you will never understand Mazda. No reason to argue with them. Some people just believe that HP, g-force and 0-60 times are all that matter. They would never understand a 50-60's British sports car or a modern Miata.

Honestly, these are, to a point, utilitarian vehicles. They are designed to move you and things from point A to point B and do it for a specific cost. However, if you can't tell the difference in driving feel between a CX-5, a CR-V, a Rogue, a Rav-4 or a Forrester, well, you will never understand Mazda. No reason to argue with them. Some people just believe that HP, g-force and 0-60 times are all that matter. They would never understand a 50-60's British sports car or a modern Miata.

Actually, yes, I do "get it". I can have an amazing time in cars like the BRZ or Miata. That said, the CX5 is top heavy, an automatic, and basically is only fun compared to an SUV of whatever ilk you desire that prioritizes comfort and so forth.

You are never going to compare a purpose built car like a miata to a family hauler in any sensible way in the "fun to drive" department. It's like me trying to sell a CX5 owner a Jeep Grand Cherokee by telling you "but it gets better mileage than the Durango! Its economical!" No. It's not. No matter how you want to wheedle over its upsides, it's not what you're saying it is. Just as the cx5 is not a sports car, or even a sports SUV. It's a light CUV with an adequate amount of power for fetching groceries and a nicely weighted steering system.

The fact that your profile signature is a link to your fuelly data pretty much does my work for me in explaining what this vehicle is about and we both know it. I dont see any links to your SCCA placings or your blast down Tail of the Dragon. Nope. Its "my compact SUV is this efficient!". Just as it should be.

Last edited:
Back