2018 Parking Sensor Retrofit to 2016

SDL

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
I just noticed that the 2018 version has front parking sensors...I don't know why the 2016 didn't have it (it did in Australia), but I am very interested in retrofitting this. Does anyone know if it's possible to have the dealer do this?
Also, anyone considering trading in their 2016 for the 2019?

What trim do you have? I just bought a 2018. On the 2018s, the Sport did not have front parking sensors, while the Grand Touring did.

I'd pull your front bumper and see if the pigtails for the sensors are there. Maybe see if you can get a peep behind there with a mirror or something.

What trim do you have? I just bought a 2018. On the 2018s, the Sport did not have front parking sensors, while the Grand Touring did.

I'd pull your front bumper and see if the pigtails for the sensors are there. Maybe see if you can get a peep behind there with a mirror or something.

I have a 2016 GT. Sensors are only available on the 18 GT and Signature.

Apparently the 18 also has traffic sign recognition and the HUD (Active Driving Display) graphics look different.

I just noticed that the 2018 version has front parking sensors...I don't know why the 2016 didn't have it (it did in Australia), but I am very interested in retrofitting this. Does anyone know if it's possible to have the dealer do this?
Also, anyone considering trading in their 2016 for the 2019?

It comes down to Mazda North America deciding if front sensors are needed or not.

FYI - Australian 2016 Mazda CX-9 only had front sensors for top 2 variants (GT & Azami). Same for 2017 model and current 2018 model.

According to Mazda USA Accessories website, front parking sensors are not available for 2016-2018 Mazda CX-9. Only rear sensors.

In Australia, it is available as an accessory:

2ilj79l.jpg

Last edited:
It comes down to Mazda North America deciding if front sensors are needed or not.

FYI - Australian 2016 Mazda CX-9 only had front sensors for top 2 variants (GT & Azami). Same for 2017 model and current 2018 model.

According to Mazda USA Accessories website, front parking sensors are not available for 2016-2018 Mazda CX-9. Only rear sensors.

In Australia, it is available as an accessory:

2ilj79l.jpg

I"m pretty sure I checked on Mazda USA's website and for the GT and Signature, the 2018 model does come with front parking sensors. I was hoping it could be included as a kit in the 2016.

I"m pretty sure I checked on Mazda USA's website and for the GT and Signature, the 2018 model does come with front parking sensors. I was hoping it could be included as a kit in the 2016.

It is possible 2018 front sensors could work with 2016.

But since they don't sell front sensor kits, Mazda North America might not be able to help you.

Last edited:
I have a 17 CX-9, so am in the same boat on this one. I asked the question of Mazda North America. They sent it up for a recommendation, and I NEVER heard back.

I suspect you can have them shipped to you from Australia, and possibly install it. Believe the factory instructions are to remove the front bumper and install the sensors and new wires.
Then, you'd have to hope the Computer/Software for North America is programmed to accept that it has those installed and can recognize.

Probably less expensive to just trade in your 16 and get a 19 with the new features. They've added a lot!

I have a 17 CX-9, so am in the same boat on this one. I asked the question of Mazda North America. They sent it up for a recommendation, and I NEVER heard back.

I suspect you can have them shipped to you from Australia, and possibly install it. Believe the factory instructions are to remove the front bumper and install the sensors and new wires.
Then, you'd have to hope the Computer/Software for North America is programmed to accept that it has those installed and can recognize.

Probably less expensive to just trade in your 16 and get a 19 with the new features. They've added a lot!

Did you chase them up (uhm)

I always refused to choose a car in function of the stroller and decided to adapt the stroller in function of my cars when we were expecting our first one. We looked at all the stollers on the market back then (8 years ago) and decided to go for a super compact Quinny Zapp with a Maxi Cosi infant seat. Folded, that stroller can still fit in a airplane overhead bin (and in the trunk of a Miata) and it can accomodate an infant seat. We never needed a larger stroller and both our kids went through it. The thing was barely larger than 2 gallons of milk folded and never ate any volume in the trunk of our then CX7 and and 2011 CX9 (kids were out of strollers when we got the 2016).

I always refused to choose a car in function of the stroller and decided to adapt the stroller in function of my cars when we were expecting our first one. We looked at all the stollers on the market back then (8 years ago) and decided to go for a super compact Quinny Zapp with a Maxi Cosi infant seat. Folded, that stroller can still fit in a airplane overhead bin (and in the trunk of a Miata) and it can accomodate an infant seat. We never needed a larger stroller and both our kids went through it. The thing was barely larger than 2 gallons of milk folded and never ate any volume in the trunk of our then CX7 and and 2011 CX9 (kids were out of strollers when we got the 2016).

I think you meant for this to go into a different thread, as I'm sure there was another thread where cargo space for strollers with the 3rd row up was the topic.

Back