CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!

Thread: What are these?

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

What are these?

I took the bumper off to mount the MSP front lip and was wondering:
    What are these connectors and the black things under the headlights?

2003 Sunburst Yellow Mazda Protege5
    Follow my instagram @another_yellowp5

Mods List
    Interior
    - JVC head unit
    -Sound Ordinance Sub woofer
    Exterior
    -WeatherTech Rain Guards
    Performance
    -HKS axle back

Registered Member

02 protege5 ES 5dr

Ground points, and lip supports ( helps your bumper cover hold the shape under your lights ).

Registered Member

BJII Astina SP20

While you're there, remove the ground points and give them a good clean. You'll probably find surface rust starting to build up under there.

Registered Member pasadena_commut's Avatar

Protege5 2003

Also those headlights are pretty hazy. The bulbs inside should be just as sharp in the image as the body is. At that point a lot of the light they generate is going to scatter out of the beam, making it dimmer. Assuming that isn't just dirt, there are a variety of kits to clean these up. If some sort of protective coating isn't applied in the last step the treatments will only last a short time and then they will haze again.

My experience: Sylvania kit with coating lasted three years on my Honda's headlights. Then they hazed a little. Light polish
    cleaned them up again. Periodic scrubbing with detergent and then (re)application of Blue Magic Headlight Sealant has kept them pretty clear ever since. Downside of that product is that it is an oil and it blows back onto the hood leaving an ugly sort of grease mark above the headlights. It also seems to attract dirt. At least it comes off with a good washing with detergent. Might not be a good choice in locations where it rains a lot. In S. California lately that isn't us, so it works OK.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by JazzySP20 View Post
    While you're there, remove the ground points and give them a good clean. You'll probably find surface rust starting to build up under there.
    Might as well while the bumper is off and I still have a few more things to do while its off
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pasadena_commut View Post
    Also those headlights are pretty hazy. The bulbs inside should be just as sharp in the image as the body is. At that point a lot of the light they generate is going to scatter out of the beam, making it dimmer. Assuming that isn't just dirt, there are a variety of kits to clean these up. If some sort of protective coating isn't applied in the last step the treatments will only last a short time and then they will haze again.

My experience: Sylvania kit with coating lasted three years on my Honda's headlights. Then they hazed a little. Light polish
    cleaned them up again. Periodic scrubbing with detergent and then (re)application of Blue Magic Headlight Sealant has kept them pretty clear ever since. Downside of that product is that it is an oil and it blows back onto the hood leaving an ugly sort of grease mark above the headlights. It also seems to attract dirt. At least it comes off with a good washing with detergent. Might not be a good choice in locations where it rains a lot. In S. California lately that isn't us, so it works OK.
    I've been meaning to, but since one is all cracked, I was just gonna get 2 new ones
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Comp Engineering Student Riot_Polizei's Avatar

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe710 View Post
    I've been meaning to, but since one is all cracked, I was just gonna get 2 new ones
    If you get new headlights, you gotta get some Canadian black-housing ones. They're badass! Sometime in the future, I'll disassemble my headlights to fix it up on my own.

Here's a nice guide for it:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Mazda_...light_Blackout
    2002 Mazda Protege5
    ■ Sunburst Yellow ■ Black Rear Valence ■ Injen Cold Air Intake ■ Racing Beat Catback Exhaust ■ Moog Front Endlinks
    ■ Megan Racing Rear Strut Tower Bar ■ Racing Beat Rear Sway Bar ■ Mazda6 Front Big Brakes ■ Foglight Deletes

Registered Member

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Riot_Polizei View Post
    If you get new headlights, you gotta get some Canadian black-housing ones. They're badass! Sometime in the future, I'll disassemble my headlights to fix it up on my own.

Here's a nice guide for it:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Mazda_...light_Blackout
    I love those, I think those and the yellow would look amazing! I just don't want to take the headlights apart lmao might sell them for cheap, who knows