Cx-5 2017 ac

No problems with our A/C in our area, where we can see 110+ degrees for weeks on end.

As far as for parking, the windshield reflector, and closing the moonroof shade is critical. Popping the moonroof up (if equipped) for vent mode, can help lower the parking temps as well.

I would pay Mazda big money to have them return to using the awesome left-right oscillating center HVAC dash vents that they had back in the mid 80's, those were so nice. (band2)
I use a sunshade which helps keep the CX-5 cool and also helps prevent the dashboard and seats from direct sunlight (less prone to cracking and fade)

Well Im not sure what weve proved today but I managed to get the plug off the sender unit;

IMG_4717.jpg

......then my mate has a selection of resistors to play with and working off the info in the pdf, he started to attach various combinations in order to provoke a reaction from the gauge.

IMG_4725.jpg

It is not easy. He had a variable potentiometer and the tiniest adjustment sends it off the scale either way. Im sure one of the big digital range adjusting test meters would have done it.

We could get it to show cold and get the warning light;

IMG_4721.jpg

......and we could get it to show off the scale hot to illuminate the red warning light;

IMG_4720.jpg

.....but oh, she didnt like that and decided to deprive me of several safety systems!!!

IMG_4722.jpg

Eventually, we got it to show this position just above normal but we couldnt get it nearer. We also couldnt get it anywhere between cold and normal which I know it does gradually because I paid particular attention to it on my way to work last night.

IMG_4723.jpg

It does sweep back without indexing but I dont know if it proves anything. It was fun playing but my other mate had to get his sun tester to clear a raft of codes after she had a little sulk at me.

IMG_4727.jpg

Conclusion - you need some proper test gear to play that game.

Sorry about some of the images being bleached. Id stopped the car where the sun reflected off the hood back into the lens - we are having an unusually good summer here on the island.

Last edited:
It’s probably also monitoring rates of change. So rapidly getting hot might provoke move as something is probably wrong vs what it’s programmed to think is normal variation. That’s just my speculation though.

It’s probably also monitoring rates of change. So rapidly getting hot might provoke move as something is probably wrong vs what it’s programmed to think is normal variation. That’s just my speculation though.

Yes, we did wonder how often it sampled the temperature too. We tried waiting a while between readings but in the end, its so finely tuned to the sensor. After finishing and plugging it back in, it sat quite happily at about 1/4 way from bottom which was the residual temp from leaving it earlier. We could not artificially reproduce that with the kit we had.

Last edited:
Error messages everywhere is what has been proved! Good 'ol Mazda (wink)

7 years and 100k miles later we get our first major issue on the CX-5.

AC blows warm air. Gonna have a reputable ASE mobile mechanic come by on Friday to run a diagnostic check.

Looks like my Mazda6 suspension project upgrade is gonna be delayed LOL.

7 years and 100k miles later we get our first major issue on the CX-5.

AC blows warm air. Gonna have a reputable ASE mobile mechanic come by on Friday to run a diagnostic check.

Looks like my Mazda6 suspension project upgrade is gonna be delayed LOL.

Why delay your suspension project?

Why delay your suspension project?

Most likely funding. I can afford it but car mods are low on my totem pole of things. That said I scored brand new never installed H&R springs from a dude who sold his M6. Scored for $100. Gonna purchase some Koni FSD Shocks next.

Back to CX-5's AC. May just be a leak. This is not a project I'm comfortable with. Having a reputable mechanic with AC experience do this. I do live in the mecca of AC's so that's a good thing I guess. Of and it's pretty cool right night by Arizona standards. Thanks for that cold Colorado air coming down here :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that cold Colorado air coming down here :)

You're welcome! We had an absolutely insane storm last Wednesday. Snow is snow, but we had hurricane like winds too...it was nasty. Luckily most of the city shut down and I know I wasn't out on the roads, that's for sure!

Was actually nice to stay home that day in the warmth and sip on some scotch I had sitting away in a cabinet.

So had mobile mechanic stop by yesterday while CX-5 was in my garage. Confirmed almost empty of Freon. Added Freon with Dye and proceeded to check for leaks in engine bay. None found in AC system...engine at least. He noticed a leak on one of the valves (think tire air valve) and ended up replacing both valves. Topped of Freon and went on his way. He advised to call him back if AC blow warm air and he'll re-check for free.

Cost $167 for the Inspection, labor, 2 valves, and cost of Freon cans. So far so good and AC is ice cold again.

Last edited:
So had mobile mechanic stop by yesterday while CX-5 was in my garage. Confirmed almost empty of Freon. Added Freon with Dye and proceeded to check for leaks in engine bay. None found in AC system...engine at least. He noticed a leak on one of the valves (think tire air valve) and ended up replacing both valves. Topped of Freon and went on his way. He advised to call him back if AC blow warm air and he'll re-check for free.

Cost $167 for the Inspection, labor, 2 valves, and cost of Freon cans. So far so good and AC is ice cold again.

I noticed my ac was dead like 2 weeks ago. I never use it. I realized there is an issue with the clutch or something. It rattles like hell and does not produce cold air. Also a wire broke off from me barely touching it. Ordered a reclaimed compressor from LKQ for $73

I noticed my ac was dead like 2 weeks ago. I never use it. I realized there is an issue with the clutch or something. It rattles like hell and does not produce cold air. Also a wire broke off from me barely touching it. Ordered a reclaimed compressor from LKQ for $73

Yeah my mechanic inspected the compressor and everything was good as far as no leaks there. Hearing sound from it or rattling in your case is a clear indication of something wrong.

How are your belts? I'm about to change mines. Still have original ones at 101,000 miles. I saw some tiny cracks. Will get that changed next. I'm glad our water pumps tend to last a long time.

Back