Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I can spin the front tires on my AWD CX-9 .... is this normal for this AWD system?

Registered Member

2016 CX-9 GT

Blocking off the radiator in winter like on diesels should help warm up the engine more quickly. Is that viable?

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Blocking off the radiator in winter like on diesels should help warm up the engine more quickly. Is that viable?

LOL! This does work, for sure. I used to do it on an old Russian LADA (back in Europe) to get some heat in the winter.

I sure hope we don't need to use the same trick on a modern day Mazda.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rider View Post
    Actually, that was a feature on the Mazda 3 recently. I think they dropped it but it worked.

Registered Member

2017 CX9 Sig

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Nice to see more Canadians around! tekz, didn't realize you were in Winnipeg as well, we just moved back here from AB a few weeks ago.

My A/C blows cold and is actually just as good as it was in the small sedan I had before. My chest always seems to feel a little warm when the sun is out though, and I'm sure its because of the thicker windshield glass. The underperforming heater is concerning, especially with a baby in the car.. it never got cold enough in AB for me to really test it, but hopefully I don't have the same issues you do.

Did your Sig also come with Bridgestone Ecopia tires?
    No, it came with the Falkens...they were ok and quiet...good handling for 3 seasons but not good in winter that's why I changed them with the Nokians. The tire wear on Falkens weren't as good as other tires or the Nokians...something like 300AA UTQG while the Nokians have 600AA. Yeah heater not as warm as you would like when minus 30 deg temps that's why when I bought my Sig I took the Compustar 2-way remote starter than the Bose headphones Mazda was offering via the dealer.

Registered Member

CX9 2017

Torque steer is something that is common on the cx9 , i was surprised by it when i was trying it before purchasing it , then i realized that the cx9 has 310 tq at 2100 rpms so that is a huge amount of torque to handle , thats far more than any of the v6 competitors specially at 2100rpms.
    It is also noticeable due to this same reason to have an initial wheel spin when u flor the accelerator but it shoudnt be a 2 sec spin, u should just hear the screech and inmediately the awd system should correct it, lets remember that the all wheel drive system is working all the time and when u start to hammer the vehicle it will send more power to the rear wheels. tried it in snow and muddy conditions and the awd workds great, it is also very clever when in a mountain road , you can feel the awd working really good . i cant explain why one can have a 2 sec wheel spin in a awd vehicle, something is wrong there.

i-ACTIV AWD Aficionado Kedis82ZE8's Avatar
    Donated: $25

'15 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech

Blog Entries
    Do try the two foot accelerator/brake method at some point.

This is basically how Toyota ATRAC works. Stop the free spinning tire and force traction to tire via ABS on an open differential.
    '15 CX-5 GT 2.5L w/tech package - Liquid Silver Metallic (04/2014 build-07/2014 delivery) - 45K Miles

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345