Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Brake Pads for 2016 CX5 Grand Touring

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

I tend to agree that OEM pads are safe bet, especially when it comes to Mazdas. I've worked with Japanese engineers and was very impressed with their testing thoroughness. That being said, I must also mention that I am running Hawk HP pads on my MX5. They are a bit more aggressive than OEM but sometimes make a slight squealing sound that is low-key and for short duration. When the rotors need replacing, I will get J-hook style slotted versions.
    I've tried a few variations of rotors and pads when designing rotors, back 5 years ago, so preferences were developed during that period.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, Magnaflow)
    2002 Protege ES (Sold for $1700 with 131,000 miles)

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

There’s no image for the MVs but the expensive set appears to include the accessories which makes them good value if they do.

2018 CX-5 SportNav 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by concept View Post
    I tend to agree that OEM pads are safe bet, especially when it comes to Mazdas. I've worked with Japanese engineers and was very impressed with their testing thoroughness. That being said, I must also mention that I am running Hawk HP pads on my MX5. They are a bit more aggressive than OEM but sometimes make a slight squealing sound that is low-key and for short duration. When the rotors need replacing, I will get J-hook style slotted versions.
    I've tried a few variations of rotors and pads when designing rotors, back 5 years ago, so preferences were developed during that period.
    It’s surprising - you could cut some brake pad shaped hardwood and it would work providing it didn’t get too hot. For the purpose of Going down the shops, you could get away with some amazingly crude pads. It’s how these Chinesium cheapies get away with it - for the most part, they only need to “be there”. However, I doubt they’d last long on the OE approval business. If you compressed a very well dispersed 70% steel wool and a thermo setting resin and baked them for 4 hours, you’d have a useable pad. If you want racing pads, you take a normal pad and bake it twice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12