Best Brake Pads for 2016 CX5 Grand Touring

I tend to agree that OEM pads are safe bet, especially when it comes to Mazdas. I've worked with Japanese engineers and was very impressed with their testing thoroughness. That being said, I must also mention that I am running Hawk HP pads on my MX5. They are a bit more aggressive than OEM but sometimes make a slight squealing sound that is low-key and for short duration. When the rotors need replacing, I will get J-hook style slotted versions.
I've tried a few variations of rotors and pads when designing rotors, back 5 years ago, so preferences were developed during that period.
I used OEM pads when replacing the front brakes on my '14 CX5. The originals lasted long, were low dust, and quiet. I was quite impressed with them so I bought another set. They were a little pricey compared to aftermarket, but when you know something works well you might as well stick with it.

I've never had better 'initial braking' than with the original pads. High perf pads are designed to dissipate high heat from extreme driving. They work WORSE when cold.

I've replaced pads and rotors on 7 different cars over the last 40 years.

Back