Increasing height of non-powered hatch/liftgate when opened (so i don't hit my head!)

:
2016 CX-5 Touring
I have a 2016.5 Touring and hate how low the liftgate is when it's opened. I haven't measured it yet but it seems less than 6'. I'm 6'2" and having to duck under is a PITA and i already smacked my head on it once. Has anyone tried to increase the height? I understand it's not meant to be adjustable but I'd imagine a longer strut could work? Any ideas?

Thanks

I received a recall notice for the gas springs on my lift gate. After the recall service I noticed that the lift gate does not go up as high as it did before the service. I believe that you could increase the lift gate height by replacing the gas springs with longer ones, at least a little bit. You could disconnect the lift springs and see how much more the gate will raise before binding. I don't know where you could buy longer lift springs, perhaps ebay, they show many different gas springs for sale. You would have to determine the proper length and pounds that the spring will lift and also the connection type of the gas spring would need to match that of your car. Seems like much work, but could be possible.

I have a 2016.5 Touring and hate how low the liftgate is when it's opened. I haven't measured it yet but it seems less than 6'. I'm 6'2" and having to duck under is a PITA and i already smacked my head on it once. Has anyone tried to increase the height? I understand it's not meant to be adjustable but I'd imagine a longer strut could work? Any ideas?

Thanks

I'm 6'2" and I hit my head on the powered tailgate of the 2018 at it's at the maximum setting.

My guess is if you change the struts, you might be able to increase the opening height.

Word of caution - check the hinges beforehand to see if they can tolerate the extra opening height.

Another word of caution, if you park your CX-5 in a garage your hatch when open may smack into the garage door above when you have the garage open.
Mine comes real close to hitting the raised door and I have a normal height garage. I have to be careful when I'm pulled in and trying to get something out of the rear.
My wife doesn't have this problem with her CR-V so maybe the CX-5 already opens higher.

Yes it is easier but only takes one time when you are distracted and bam!

Thanks for the replies! I've looked at the hinge area and it looks like there's room for it to open more. Any idea on what the spec are for the OEM struts (pre and post recall)? Specifically the weight/force and the length.

good to know should I get one as I'm about 6'6.
Although, with my height I'm pretty used to having to duck under things.

good to know should I get one as I'm about 6'6.
Although, with my height I'm pretty used to having to duck under things.

AFAIK no vehicles tailgate would open far enough to accomodate your height. There might be some that are close

I'm 6'3" and hit my head on the damn thing regularly - you can duck all day long if you want to but most people stand up straight. It's usually when lifting and turning that I do it. When will I learn, 100th time? Usually I dangle something off low things I hit regularly (entrance to shed for example) to help me remember to duck but nothing really can be attached to the inside of the hatch easily. Maybe one of those 3M sticky hooks would work.

I had a 2002 Chevy Blazer before this and it lifted high enough (no settings, nothing electronic) and I have a 2015 CX-5 with nothing electronic to open the hatch). I think you just get used to it but I have said more than one swear word directed to that hatch!

Most people actually assume the bending position as they are trying to put something in the boot or retrieve it from the back of the boot.

Just saying.

Another word of caution, if you park your CX-5 in a garage your hatch when open may smack into the garage door above when you have the garage open.
Mine comes real close to hitting the raised door and I have a normal height garage. I have to be careful when I'm pulled in and trying to get something out of the rear.
My wife doesn't have this problem with her CR-V so maybe the CX-5 already opens higher.

The problem of lift gate hitting the garage ceiling or the oppened garage door can be solved by tying a thin nylon rope from the liftgate to the attachment point of the car liftgate dampers on the car body. The rope limits the gas damper extension. Do on both sides so that even if one side breaks after a few years the other side will limit the extension. Will post a photo in a few weeks time. Travelling out of country right now.

That's how I know that the recall struts are shorter than the originals. I had to park just right to not hit the open garage door with the tailgate. After the recall it didn't matter.

Back