Thread: Oil Catch Can for 2017~2018 CX-5?

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GS FWD

Greater Vancouver area, British Columbia, Canada

Oil Catch Can for 2017~2018 CX-5?

I see there's already an "oil separator", as the car comes from the factory, shows in pictures here:

http://www.mcx5.org/positive_crankca...tion-1410.html

Has anyone added an Oil Catch Can, spliced into the hose between PCV valve and intake manifold? How much did it catch? I'm a little concerned with direct injectors, that they don't get "washed" by gasoline.

I've installed Moroso 85474 on another vehicle, but they are pricey.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

My MX5 has a similar setup with an "oil separator" that looks like the one in the linked image. I designed a few variations of aluminum and glass catch cans, but most buyers use them with V8 engines that produce the most airborne oil droplets in crankcase ventilation systems. I will see if there is a good spot in which to mount the CC so that it is lower than the valve cover and away from the engine.
    By the way, Mazda dealership techs are required to inspect various area for excessive oil buildup, when customers have their Skyactive engine-equipped vehicles in for service or even software updates.
    Last edited by concept; 06-24-2018 at 08:02 PM.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, Magnaflow)
    2002 Protege ES (Sold for $1700 with 131,000 miles)

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GS FWD

Thank you.

My past experience has been with a 2010 Prius. Looking down through the throttle body, there was always a little "lake" below. I finally cleaned it all out, and the EGR circuit, and installed the Moroso can last fall. In 4000 kms over winter, it collected about 100 cc's, looked to be about 50% oil, and the rest maybe a mix of water/sludge/gas. The Moroso has a tap and spigot on the bottom, so you can mount it low, keep everything looking stock, and drain at oil changes.

It's the direct-injection on the CX-5 that has me especially concerned, no gas washing the valves.

Did your Prius have an OEM oil separator, as does our vehicles? If not, the oil pooling could have accumulated faster than it would in our engines. Based upon what I have seen, very few auto gasoline engines have anything similar to what we have. Typically, the valve cover(s) would have internal geometry that is designed to trap some of the oil before it is pulled out, but this "trap" only reduces the oil accumulation downstream slightly.
    I designed my catch can filtration so that its primary media is made of larger diameter 316 stainless steel wire. The secondary filter media is made of much finer non-metallic strand that is supported by a stainless steel wire skeleton of sorts. You can see my white paper on air/oil separation here:
    http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/Documents/pcvor.pdf
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GS FWD

Thanks for the info.

My Prius (2010, first year of 3rd gen) did have a rudimentary oil separator: a bolted-on plate area on the crankcase side wall, maybe 5~6 inch square, with a gasket. The PCV valve screwed into that. I didn't remove that plate on ours (the gasket is very tenacious), but I've seen pics with the plate off, and there's a simple labyrinth behind, it looks like the object is to slow the air (with oil vapour) down, have it condense and drip back into the crankcase. Still, not that effective.

I wish it was easier to post pictures here, say just cut-and-paste in the message while posting.

At the end of the day, I think if we just monitor the intake manifold of the CX-5 for the first little while, we'll get some idea. As long as there's a low point where oil vapour might condense and accumulate.

I can get the Moroso 84574 locally in a few hours for $220. Frustrating when I bought one for our Prius through Amazon last fall for $197. These are Canadian prices btw. US mail order I could get for around $145, but when you factor in shipping, duty, and the conversion rate, it works out the same lol.
    Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 06-25-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GS FWD

Judging from this thread (with video) of the condition of a 2013 CX-5 (with similar built-in oil separator, I believe?): oil/gunk can build up in the intakes and on the valves, with not a lot of mileage.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...asoline-engine

That is quite a bit of oil and carbon buildup. I have read that Audi 2.0 turbo engines with direct injection require a walnut media-blasting of the intake at 60,000 miles.
    My MX5 does not have direct injection, so Chevron Techron and Shell premium gasoline with nitrogen is probably helping. However, My 3 may be accumulating oil where I don't want it.
    Thanks for the link to that video.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-5 GS FWD

Just an update, after talking to a local Mazda dealership service rep (the Service Manager I think):

1. They haven't been seeing serious intake valve carbon build-up on the CX-5, but they have seen some, enough to warrant cleaning.

2. He's heard of Oil Catch Can use, but mostly on turbocharged.

3. Just off top of his head: Mazda is "maybe" open-minded about OCC and warranty, would not just disallow any-and-all issues due to an OCC. But if there was a direct correlation, if a botched install evidently caused a problem, then then they would fight it.

Something like that. This was just on the phone, I maybe should asked for an email follow up, but I appreciated his candor, and didn't want to push it.