Oil Catch Can for 2017~2018 CX-5?

I have 102,4XX miles right now. 2015, 2.5 AWD. This is something I am curious about, as well. So far it runs just fine. This, along with the life-time fluid in the transmission, is something that the next 100K miles will determine the efficacy of. If the car makes it to 200K without issue, then I'll buy a CX5T.

*I may cut the "test" short by a few thousand as I will not pay for a second brake job. My first/OEM brakes lasted 97K miles. No sense dumping another $600 into the car for another 10K miles...
**I buy the cheapest gas I can find at locations that I don't think the odds are super high of being shanked while fueling up at.

Last edited:
This, along with the life-time fluid in the transmission, is something that the next 100K miles will determine the efficacy of. If the car makes it to 200K without issue, then I'll buy a CX5T.

If the tranny breaks, who gets the blame in this scenario? Mazda for suggesting it as "lifetime" yet refusing to define what that means, or you who decided to hell with fluid changes? Granted, I wouldn't touch it at 102k miles either, but just curious.

Edit: Wow...just saw that other ATF thread. I am not trying to imply anything one way or another. Just curiosity. You're doing what Mazda says, so just curious.

Last edited:
If the tranny breaks, who gets the blame in this scenario? Mazda for suggesting it as "lifetime" yet refusing to define what that means, or you who decided to hell with fluid changes? Granted, I wouldn't touch it at 102k miles either, but just curious.

Edit: Wow...just saw that other ATF thread. I am not trying to imply anything one way or another. Just curiosity. You're doing what Mazda says, so just curious.

It depends on how and why it breaks. If something shears or snaps or if it just begins slipping or what. Also, a fluid analysis will be sent. Let's just wait and see. If it is determined that the fluid is the direct cause, I will of course pursue Mazda to cover a new transmission. Again, we will see how that evolves. If.

It depends on how and why it breaks. If something shears or snaps or if it just begins slipping or what. Also, a fluid analysis will be sent. Let's just wait and see. If it is determined that the fluid is the direct cause, I will of course pursue Mazda to cover a new transmission. Again, we will see how that evolves. If.

Makes sense. But I sincerely hope you have no problems! (thumb)

Makes sense. But I sincerely hope you have no problems! (thumb)

Thanks, and we will see. Hopefully not. I know my grandparents got 367K out of their Toyota and it's doing fine, and my Dad retired his Chevy work van at 438K? as it was finally burning too much oil. If my CX5 cannot make it to 200K, I'll be dumping the brand and going with a different one (provided the reason it dies isn't a 1-off type failure like something random sheared, etc. that can happen to anything). Mainly what I'm looking for is "is it falling apart?" My Jeep won that distinction before it even hit 100K, lol! My 370Z was just of such low initial quality that I got rid of it before 3/36 and will never own another Nissan again. So it's basically the CX5T, WRX, AMG43GLC, or RAV4 Hybrid. Why the RAV? Because I drive a lot and 40mpg is the s***, and it's going to last a long damn time if the Prius and their other hybrids are any indicator.

This video by engineering explained talks about Italian Tune ups from a technical point of view.. it's pretty informative. I get this when I do canyon run cruises but I also wot often anyways.

How difficult to plumb this into a 14 2.5L? Anyone done this yet?
Basically looking for where to tap into the PCV circuit.

Back