Ignition coil failure

Well, just a couple of weeks on new plugs (yes, OEM plugs: see my post here) and the CX-5 strands my wife on a busy road. Check engine and TPMS lights on, engine shuddering and in "limp-home" mode. Towed to dealer (thanks AAA) and codes read #2 cylinder misfire, coil and plug are dead.

I've owned several cars with ignition coils and have had only one ignition coil failure - on a 10+ year old solara V6 with over 160k miles (that V6 had a coil for two cylinders, so three total). The Mazda's only have 5 years and just turned 60k miles. (OK, 25+ years ago I did have a distributor failure on an old accord, the rotor disintegrated... I thought coils were more reliable!) I express my disappointment to the service advisor who nonchalantly explains that coils are "like light bulbs" and they go all the time and with no warning.

I've replaced countless plugs in several engines and am sure that the coil failure was not related to my work (carefully removed and replaced one at a time and not dropped). So. I'm chalking it to a less reliable coil.

I'm leaning towards replacing the three remaining coils - about $80 each for OEM (PE20-18-100A). Anyone else with coil failures? Is this a Mazda thing?

Honestly ignition coil would fail due to the heat from mounting location from time to time although it's rare like you'd experienced. It's also rare for CX-5 based on very few posts here having the ignition coil issue at low miles at 60,000. If I were you I wouldn't replace the rest 3 coils as this problem should be rare for Mazda CX-5. But if you wouldn't mind to spare $240 just for a piece of mind, especially it's your wife's car, go ahead replace them as a preventive maintenance.

Was the replacement of your ignition coil covered under 5-year / 60,000-mile powertrain warranty?

I wouldn't replace something, that it is not broken.
The ceramic part of the plug wasn't cracked?

Damn - hopefully it won't turn out to be like the coil problems with the 2000-2002 Maximas. They were mostly all faulty and started to fail around 60k miles.
Expensive too since it was a 6cyl.

I thought that ignition coil failures were inherent to BMWs! That is one of the reasons I chucked BMW and came to Mazda. Please say that it is not that common.

I thought that ignition coil failures were inherent to BMWs! That is one of the reasons I chucked BMW and came to Mazda. Please say that it is not that common.

It's not! I can't believe how people overreact to this kind of post. s*** happens. In five years of reading this forum, I've probably seen two or three instances of coil failures.

It's not! I can't believe how people overreact to this kind of post. s*** happens. In five years of reading this forum, I've probably seen two or three instances of coil failures.

This. Completely rare occurrence. s*** happens indeed.

It was likely damaged during the plug change...

Did op use dielectric grease?

If so (it is an insulator) and does not conduct electricity meaning if he got some on the spark plug tip or electrode then is could make it appear there is an issue.

Are you sure you weren't referring to the '00-'01 with 3.0L?

The '02-'03 were 3.5L. I never had any issues with any of mine in 125k miles on my '02.

Probably, I had a 00 and the coils failed around 60k. I remember the Nissan forum being peppered with complaints about ignition coil failures. Just about everybody eventually
had the problem. Wasn't cheap to replace them either.

Didn't the 3.5L's have the oil burning problem?

Yeah.. the VQ35DE had a run of oil consumption issues up to about 2006. Glad I have the VQ35HR in my G35x.... although it can have it's own issues oil burning is extremely rare.

Fortunately mine was negligible by the time I sold it for my CX-5. Found it a year later listed at salvage lot online... looks like it got T-boned.

Back