Water spots inside car

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

I have a 17GT, and yesterday I got stuck in a torrential downpour. Anyway, my piano black plastic trim piece that surrounds the drivers side window switches, etc is water spoted.

I ended up using Adams Total Interior detailer on a soft microfiber cloth (like I have done in the past.) although it removes the water spots, I was left with a hairline scratch plastic trim piece. These pieces are JUNK!

How do I clean this in the future to avoid more scratches? Theres really no way to keep them dry when its raining.

Do you all have the same issues?

I actually would have just used a soft cloth without the interior detailer and just gently wiped the water spots away.

Could have been the actual chemicals in that product that reacted with the trim and cloth causing the scratch.

Gloss black plastic of any kind (any dark color) will scratch.

Get some ultra fine polishing compound and the softest rag you can find. I used to refinish Acrylic tubs - would sand and buff black tubs, finish with 3M Finesse-it then 3m Perfect polishing compounds. Recommended a diaper for wipe down in the days before microfiber. People would use "soft" towels, and that would usually scratch them a lot.

Even white plastics scratch you just don't see it. Plastics are by definition soft, and soft materials scratch easier then harder ones. It is one some people and manufacturers prefer wood or metal trim pieces.

I have had water spots there because I was stupid and left my window open about a 1/4 inch. I just wipped it off with a soft cloth. No scratches. Ed

Back