2018 vs 2016

Change is a constant these days in the automotive world. It should be reminded to all that the 17 came with improvements to the engine including assymetric pistons and new oil control rings that are bi-directional and total new design. I saw the video with Dave Coleman describing all this but I cannot find it now. The crankshaft is offset as well.

Major changes? It depends on your perspective. Cylinder deactivation can be called major but since Mazda did it, Ford and another brand are doing the same with some of their 4 bangers. So it seems to be a growing attribute in four cylinder engines.

Ive got some PDFs you might find interesting. Quite interesting how they achieve CD.

Attachments

• CD VVT.pdf
    149 KB · Views: 87
Thank you Anchorman for those pdf’s.

I forgot to mention the G Vectoring Control for the 17 as well.

If CD still scares some people with the SkyActiv 2.5, imagine it being used in Ford’s ecoboost engines with the turbo. That’s what Ford is doing.

Maybe they have spies🕵️*♂️in Hiroshima?

Explain the differences you noticed (pros/cons) between the 2017 vs 2018 as far as the cylinder deactivation is concerned please. Were they both AWD ?
Yes both AWD. 2018 more spritely off the line

Just got off the phone with the Collision shop, they are able to repair the CX-5 and Insurance company agreed. 2 doors, front fender, head liner, curtain airbag, passenger front seat and misc minor trim parts. The main obstacle is under the front passenger, the rocker panel is crushed, they will have to cut and weld in a new part. IMO the CX-5 is a great safe vehicle.
Lead time is 3weeks, I have another trip at the end of July really need the CX-5 for, otherwise Enterprise will have to find a bigger vehicle. This trip is with our 2 greyhounds, kid, on my rear hitch I have a cargobox for 80% of our stuff and option roof rack if needed. if anyone is looking for a great way to have extra room this cargo box is the answer.
https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black

Found out today from the Collision shop, they are able to reuse the existing door windows, I had all 4 doors and hatch tinted with ceramic tint not 5 days before the accident. That will save me some effort, time and money than having to re-tint the 2 new doors.

It’s very subjective though. To detect a change between two models with different interiors, suspension, steering etc, noise levels and maybe different accelerator mapping. Just saying.

I was programmed out of subjective in my vehicle testing days. If you walk into the engineering department of any of the vehicle makers armed with subjective opinion, your time there was limited to how long it took to kick you out. Test results were your ticket to stay!
He asked for opinions, not statistics. [emoji16]

Found out today from the Collision shop, they are able to reuse the existing door windows, I had all 4 doors and hatch tinted with ceramic tint not 5 days before the accident. That will save me some effort, time and money than having to re-tint the 2 new doors.

Good to hear!

Back